Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Just switched my cat's food

Bluedrake
August 15th, 2007, 07:37 AM
First of all, hello!

I'm new to this forum, but I am so very glad to have found it.

To the point, I have recently switched my cat to Wellness canned food, and I would like your opinions on it.

She used to be on Purina weight loss formula, and her weight had dropped to 9 pounds. I don't think it was so much the food's "virtues" so much as the fact she barely ate anything. (I'm her new caretaker, she was with someone else before)

What I do know is that her stool is much improved (far less smelly and free of blood), and she is actually enthusiastic at meal times. She literally climbs the walls when I open up a can!

There is something that bothers me though. Wellness contains carrageenan, and I have heard that it can have adverse effects on cats. What kind of adverse effects are we talking about? So far, Chinook is doing fine.

Winston
August 15th, 2007, 07:46 AM
First of all, hello!

I'm new to this forum, but I am so very glad to have found it.

To the point, I have recently switched my cat to Wellness canned food, and I would like your opinions on it.

She used to be on Purina weight loss formula, and her weight had dropped to 9 pounds. I don't think it was so much the food's "virtues" so much as the fact she barely ate anything. (I'm her new caretaker, she was with someone else before)

What I do know is that her stool is much improved (far less smelly and free of blood), and she is actually enthusiastic at meal times. She literally climbs the walls when I open up a can!

There is something that bothers me though. Wellness contains carrageenan, and I have heard that it can have adverse effects on cats. What kind of adverse effects are we talking about? So far, Chinook is doing fine.

Bluedrake! Welcome to the forum! I cant really help you because I feed a different type of food..I feed orijen dry...I am sure that someone will be along shortly with helpful info...You can check out the food forum as there is helpful information there!

Do you have any pics of your pets? Is pretty much mandatory around here! :)

Cindy

krdahmer
August 15th, 2007, 01:05 PM
Welcome also! I believe a lot here feed wellness so I'm sure they can share their opinions on it. I dont even know what it is... although I am about to google it...:o

And yes any pics? Do you just have the one cat?

rainbow
August 15th, 2007, 02:15 PM
I didn't know about the adverse effects of carrageenan until I just googled it.

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1242073

http://webhost.stii.dost.gov.ph/sntpost/frames/jantomar03/pg16.htm

It is in a lot of human foods too.

Bluedrake
August 15th, 2007, 05:18 PM
Thank you for the links Rainbow!

But eww... Ghastly what it can do. My cat doesn't seem to react to it, so I'll stick to Wellness for now. Thanks!

Yeah, Chinook is my only cat. I adopted a kitten about a year ago at a local shelter, but he died of panleukopenia four days after I got him.

Then, a friend of a collegue had apparently become allergic to her cat, so I took her in. It was a little after last Christmas.

It's her birthday today! I got her a new litterbox. She found her last one too small.

You can find a picture of her at the following linK: http://jandela.livejournal.com/1005.html

I had written to Wellness to ask them about carrageenan. Here's their reply:

Thank you for taking the time to write about WellnessŪ canned cat food..

Per your request, here is the information on the ingredient(s) you requested:

Carrageenan gum is the extract from the red seaweed found in the North Atlantic coastal regions. It is usually used in canned pet foods to bind water to improve the appearance of the product. It is a vegitable gum and perfectly safe for cats.

We appreciate your feedback and it will be forwarded to our Product Development Department. At Old Mother Hubbard we are committed to providing the highest quality pet foods and treats available. Our expert staff of engineers is continuously improving our products to ensure that they are tasty and nutritious for your pet.

Thanks again for contacting us.

Oh well, at least they replied... Notice how he spelled "vegetable". Got a giggle out of me.

want4rain
August 15th, 2007, 05:39 PM
LOL at least you know it was a real response form soemone who apparently was having a long day and not a auto response. :)

-ashley

rainbow
August 15th, 2007, 07:37 PM
I checked a few of the premium brands of canned cat food and carrageenan is in alot of them. If it wasn't then there was guar gum which is used for the same purpose. I googled that and it sounded just as bad as carrageenan.

I'm presuming that the amount of either used in canned pet food is not enough to harm our pets.

Sorry to hear about your kitten. :rip: :candle: Chinook is very pretty. :lovestruck: We also have a photo forum here where you can post lots of pics. :D