Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Fleas! HELP!

linden79
August 14th, 2007, 11:15 PM
So I've resigned myself to the fact that my rather massive dog has fleas. In the 2.5 years I've had him, this would be the first time. Evidently I don't do flea control (yes, I'll think twice after this!).

I can't see any fleas on him (he's only started really scratching and biting himself the past few days) but he does have little red spots and obviously, he has red patches where he's been scratching. I thought at first it might be dry skin, but I'm starting to think it's fleas. He even scratched his chest so hard today that it made his nipple all inflamed, raw and bleeding a bit.

My question is... NOW what do I do!? How do I get rid of them? Is there some natural solution I can use?? Does he need to go to the vet? I'm feeling at a loss here, so any advice would help!

growler~GateKeeper
August 15th, 2007, 03:09 AM
You must remember that if your dog has fleas so does your house! Vacuum, vacuum, vacuum!

Fleas multiply at an alarming rate so if you are sure it is fleas causing the itchies on your dog perhaps the best start to flea control would be to kick the initial infestation w/a product like Advantage , Frontline etc as well as the vacuuming everyday & washing of all linens/dog bedding etc.

A bath for the dog would also help to kill those on him currently.

There are natural ways to flea control also mentioned in the link - the only one I've ever used was to physically pick the little buggers off & drown them in soapy water.

I think it might be best to treat conventionally first to wipe out the infestation then go natural because they do multiply so quickly.

Here is a thread to help as well which has another thread link in it too:
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=461009#post461009

Love4himies
August 15th, 2007, 06:22 AM
To confirm it is fleas, look for tiny black feces left in his fur by the fleas.

linden79
August 15th, 2007, 09:18 AM
What about the commercial flea shampoos or powders that you can use? Are they worth trying??

Oh, and he has a cut on his foot that he got last night while playing at the park. Would it be safe to give him a bath/flea bath today with it still being open?

linden79
August 15th, 2007, 09:57 AM
Thanks for your help and suggestions. I'm actually taking him to the vet this afternoon. I called to get their recommendation on how to handle the flea bath with the cut on his paw. She told me not to do it since it might be too harsh for him. But since I can't find evidence of fleas, they would prefer I bring him in in case it's something else! I'll feel better knowing a vet has looked at him.

smoothcoatcolli
August 15th, 2007, 11:38 AM
A friend said she used a dawn dish soap/water mixture to comb the fleas out. I went chemically and used advantage on my dog. Also, I've tried the shampoos from the pet stores on kittens and they kill the fleas, but I am not sure that it's a long term solution. I was told that brewer's yeast (over a period of time) can control fleas, but my friends/neighbors have had poor results. Unfortunately chemicals seems to work the best.