Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Input and opinions.

LavenderRott
August 14th, 2007, 08:24 PM
Ok. I am working on a project and, while I have a very good idea of what is to be included, from time to time you all are going to find me in here asking for input and opinions to make sure I don't miss anything. I promise - you will find out more about the project in time.

So. I have two questions that are rather thought provoking. Please, give your answers some thought and don't be afraid of voicing your own opinion.

The first question is this - What are the 5 most important aspects of responsible dog ownership?

The second - What are the 5 aspects of your lifestyle that lead you to pick the breed or type of dog that you did?

Frenchy
August 14th, 2007, 09:04 PM
The first question is this - What are the 5 most important aspects of responsible dog ownership?

ok , I'll try , these are not in order tough.

1. Love / attention
2. Vet care (that means neuter/spay/shots and vet visit when needed)
3. Good food
4. Regular exercise
5. Grooming (keeping nails short, regular brushing even for short coat dog, it helps with the blood circulation etc...)

I'm sure I'll see others answers and will go , darn ! I forgot about this one ! :o

mummummum
August 14th, 2007, 09:07 PM
1. The five most important aspects of responsible dog ownership
a/ A willingness and ability to amend my lifestyle to meet the needs of my dogs throughout all the challenges their life and mine brings and through all life stages.
b/ A willingness and ability to provide them with the physical care they require. That means feeding on schedule with optimum nutrition and supplements if beneficial, regular grooming, regular exercise to keep them physically fit and trim, regular and sufficient voiding (potty breaks)
c/ A willingness and ability to provide them with medical care by a DVM and/or veterinary naturopath on both an annual check-up basis to ensure necessary or required vaccines are current and that they are in good health and to meet their acute and critical care needs.
d/ A willingness and ability to ensure they are "good canine citizens" and "good neighbours" by providing them with appropriate training so that they may become a well-behaved, respectful and attentive dog who adapts easily and well to my life and living environment and to provide that training in a loving and humane way.
e/ A willingness and ability to meet their emotional and intellectual needs by ensuring that they receive love and stimulating attention by me and by all those with whom they are in regular contact.

2/ The five aspects of my lifestyle which lead me to choose my breeds/ types of dogs
I have 3 large mixed breed dogs who are all rescues. My lifestyle means I am able to do all of the above.

a/ my time is flexible
b/ I have a very active and energetic life and am involved in the kinds of activities and social circles where well-behaved dogs are welcomed and I am willing to do without where they aren't
c/I have a commitment to health and well-being and am willing to "do the necessary" to keep us all physically and emotionally well by any means
d/ I am financially in a position to ensure that if I can't do it (because of a lack of expertise or time or,or,or...) I can afford to pay (or can find a means to afoord to pay) someone else to do it.
e/ I have no children therefore lots of room, lots of time and lots of love to give

Okay ~ I think I've spell checked and only hope it makes sense :D

Frenchy
August 14th, 2007, 09:07 PM
The second - What are the 5 aspects of your lifestyle that lead you to pick the breed or type of dog that you did?

Mine are older rescues so ....

1. Because they really needed a new family
2. Goldens are very friendly dogs
3. Needs lots of grooming, I don't mind
4. They like being outdoors (I live in the country)
5. Usually very easy to train

Frenchy
August 14th, 2007, 09:08 PM
Geez M3X :laughing:

coppperbelle
August 14th, 2007, 09:51 PM

The second - What are the 5 aspects of your lifestyle that lead you to pick the breed or type of dog that you did?[/QUOTE]

5 most important aspects of responsible dog ownership

1. Longterm committment... Adopting a dog is for its life.
2. Responsibility for its care, feeding, grooming, exercise, its emotional needs as well
3. Regular vaccines and bringing it to the vet when it is ill
4. Not allowing it to be a bother to others, (excessive barking, pooping on others lawns etc...
5. Spay/neuter

5 aspects of my lifestyle that lead me to pick the breed that I did which happens to be Golden Retrievers

1. Children- are important to me and I wanted a breed that was good with kids
2. Active lifestyle - I spend a great deal of time outdoors and wanted a breed that would be comfortable and happy outdoors chasing a ball, swimming etc..
3. Friendly - I am active socially and wanted a breed that was friendly and of course beautiful in my eyes.
4. Easily adaptable to all situations - I wanted a breed that would be ready and willing to follow me anywhere and happy to do it.
5. Smart and relatively easy to train.

luckypenny
August 14th, 2007, 10:09 PM
MX3, you stole my answers :yell: :laughing: . I actually wrote them down on a piece of paper before reading any responses but cannot seem to break the first part into 5.

1. a) Respect and understanding of one's dogs, ie. their species, their particular behaviors/traits, what a dog is 'naturally' not just what one would like them to be.
b) Willingness and ability to fulfill dogs' needs, ie. medically, physically, training, emotionally, etc.
c) Respect for community, making sure one has control of one's dogs at all times, teaching them to be well-behaved (not an easy feat at times :rolleyes: ), picking up after them, and ensuring they are not causing any discomfort to those in one's surroundings eg. barking incessantly, menacing behavior, etc.

2. Well, I didn't really do any research on their breeds before deciding to bring them home. Lucky was extremely ill when I first met him. He crawled on his belly to me, even though he was terrified, and laid his head in my lap. I promised him there and then I would care for him, no matter what the needs. I would find a way to help him recover, both physically and emotionally. As for Penny, I had the opportunity to help care for her at the shelter. We just clicked and when I was there, she always behaved as if we belonged together. I don't know how to explain it. The first night she arrived, she jumped off the truck and came straight for me. Each time I visited, she just stuck to me, no matter what the distractions and whoever else was around. It's like she was always mine :shrug: .

a) I'm extremely compassionate...sometimes to a fault.
b) Fortunately (and very humbly grateful) to be financially secure at this point in my life that I am able to provide for all their needs.
c) Patient & understanding & possess an ability to laugh rather than lose patience with my dogs' antics.
d) I'm physically active.
e) I'm always willing to educate myself and ask for help/opinions when needed.

JanM
August 14th, 2007, 10:13 PM
They are thought-provoking questions!

1. 5 most important aspects of responsible dog ownership:
1. Commitment to the needs of the dog - training, proper feeding,
exercise, health care, emotional and physical needs.
2. Ensure that the dog is safe - in the yard, in the home, in a vehicle
3. Ensure that the dog is neutered
4. Ensure that the dog is socialized with humans and dogs
5. Show the dog repect and especially show the dog love.

2. 5 most important aspect of lifestyle...
This is perhaps the more difficult question to answer. My husband and
I read up on the different characteristics, temperament and needs of
many, many dogs and we chose the Golden Retriever as the dog to fit
our lifestyle because:
1. My husband was housebound and needed a companion
2. I was phsically active to take the dog out for exercise and
wanted a walking companion
3. We were at home 98% of the time
4. I enjoy grooming
5. Showering love and affection on a dog was important to us

dtbmnec
August 14th, 2007, 10:19 PM
Well I don't own dogs...but these would be my top 5 I think (for the first question)

1) Understanding and ability to care for the dog, including random vet visits, spay/neuter, and anything else that comes up.
2) Ability to train the dog and to CONTINUE said training for as long as necessary or reinforce the training at any time in the dog's life.
3) Ability to love unconditionally. To rearrange your life to help meet the dog's needs halfway. To put the dog's needs and comforts above your own (to an extent of course. Too much of a good thing is still bad ;) )
4) Know your limits. Know the breed you want. If you aren't up to 5 walks a day at 30 minutes each, get a dog with not as much energy. Being aware of the instincts within the breeds and allow for it (ie. "guard dog" type that barks whenever a stranger arrives...let it bark twice and then no more so it is still fulfilling its "need" but not annoying everyone within a 3 block radius of your house)
5) Ability to learn. Owning a dog is the same as anything else in life: a constant learning process. If you can't be bothered to learn how to properly train a dog, then why have it? If you can't be bothered to learn about various health issues that come up, why bother with a dog?

Since I don't own dogs I really can't give reasons why I'd choose a certain breed over another. Sorry no help on that one.

Megan

LavenderRott
August 14th, 2007, 10:35 PM
Since I don't own dogs I really can't give reasons why I'd choose a certain breed over another. Sorry no help on that one.

Megan

Actually, Megan - you can! What aspects of your lifestyle would you take into consideration if you were thinking of getting a dog? Do you like to jog or what you rather read? Do you have little kids or older kids, or no kids? That kind of stuff.

Keep those thoughts coming!! While many of these answers are exactly what I was thinking (and that is a good thing!) there are also a couple that I hadn't taken as seriously.

mummummum
August 14th, 2007, 11:07 PM
Geez M3X :laughing:

:p I can't help myself :yell: :D

dtbmnec
August 14th, 2007, 11:12 PM
Alright so here it goes...I don't know much about breeds so I'm just gonna make it all happy general like.

1) I'm low maintenance. As in very. As in my idea of a hair style is pulling it into a plain old fashioned pony tail. So as a result I wouldn't want a dog that necessarily needed to be brushed 3 times a day or something like that.
2) No kids, though I wouldn't mind one or two (after two I'm stopping production permanently LOL) so a dog that is good with YOUNG children would be necessary.
3) I want to travel eventually. I want to visit most of the world. So I'd either have to get a dog that could/would come with me or one that is "easy" to board/one that is laid back enough that a "drastic change" in routine and living conditions isn't going to throw it in a funk. It'd depend where I'm going I suppose.
4) My own temperament is odd. I react emotionally and strongly to things first and then given a certain amount of time I can see the brighter side/reason. So perhaps a dog that is strong willed enough to understand that while puppy did wrong and I am mad for the "immediate future" that after a little while I'll calm down and give lots of love and cuddles.

That's all I can really think of at the moment....

Megan

Hunter's_owner
August 15th, 2007, 08:19 AM

1. Committment to the dog in every way. Getting a dog means caring for them for the entire life of the dog.
2. Responsibility to the dog, caring for them, keeping them safe, clean, etc.
3. Willingness and ability to care for the dog no matter what happens.
4. Respect for the dog (not viewing them as "Just animals") as well as Respect for others within the dog's presence.
5. Spay/Neutering.

I wanted:

1. An Active Dog that I could walk, hike, jog and swim with.
2. A breed that was known for being friendly, especially with children.
3. A breed that was known for being adaptable (LOL little did I know how unadaptable Hunter would be:rolleyes: Oh well, this goes back to #1 from above)
4. A dog that would be smart and easy to train (I started with a Lab, and then got a beagle...no offense to Cassie but I can see how the breed characteristics can make a difference:rolleyes: )
5. A dog that didn't need a lot of grooming.

clm
August 15th, 2007, 10:49 AM
Okay, here goes.

Five most important aspects of responsible dog ownership

1. Education : Educate yourself on the care and requirements of dog ownership, the type of breed that suits you and what places are good to find your new pet and which places to avoid and stay away from.
2. Time : You must be devoted to changing your lifestyle to give your dog the time he needs and deserves with you for grooming and training, playing and just plain love.
3. Nutrition: You must be willing to provide your dog with the best nutrition you can afford.
4. Vetrinary Care: You must be willing to provide your dog with vetrinary care for annual checkups, spaying and neutering, and unforseen issues throughout his life.
5. In the event of your death : Have guardians appointed in your will for the care of your pets should you die.

What are the 5 aspects of your lifestyle that lead you to pick the breed or type of dog that you did
1. We have a small home with a large yard and we have 4 cats and wanted to get 2 dogs.
2. We prefer being outdoors more in the cool spring, fall and winter months, but only moderate activity, ie daily walking or playing with the dogs in the yard.
3. We don't mind daily grooming and prefer long coated and double coated artic breeds and preferably with no doggie odor
4. We're homebodies, never go away on vacation, rarely even go out socially, so other than shopping, most of our time away from work is at home and most of our hometime is for our pets.
5. We are happy go lucky people and wanted a breed that reflected that, not a high prey drive, or nervous high strung breed.

Cindy

mummummum
August 15th, 2007, 11:52 PM
Bumping this up a bit but I am also curious about your project LavenderRott. A hint ? A wisp of a clue ? :D

LavenderRott
August 16th, 2007, 09:53 AM
Bumping this up a bit but I am also curious about your project LavenderRott. A hint ? A wisp of a clue ? :D

No. You may not have a clue. :D

I will say that it is going to be very labor intensive and time consuming and yes - there will be brain picking.

If it makes you feel any better - I can count on one hand the number of people who know about my project and my mom isn't on that list.

crazydays
August 16th, 2007, 10:24 AM
Ok-
Re responsibility-
1) a committment to wanting every day to be a great one for your dog-You must make your dog a priority.
2) a understanding of your dogs breed ,and then setting out to meet those needs.
3) promotion of health in every aspect of dogs life; emotional, physical, psychological and safety- involves food/exercise/play/vet prevention and maintenance, safe environment
4) to be a stellar community partner- all that goes with a good dog owner- keeping on leash in public areas, cleaning up after it, obedience classes to counteract bad behaviour, to educate the public about dogs in a possitive way etc
5) to be pro active to push forward the needs of canine through help or support at local humane shelters/ shelters etc-- volunteerism and or financial support as you can

5 aspects of lifestyle that caused me to get the breeds I did-
1) Cagney-Standard Schnauzer
active, devoted to family, guard dog, killer looks, sooo much personality
I knew a mini schnauzer when I was young-loved it. I never knew the Standards are completely different- such high octane dogs- turned out wonderful

2) Rio-English Springer Spaniel- "love everyone", can take anywhere, very active sporting dog, cuddles great, very attractive

Between 2 dog we have made huge comittment for outdoor high paced fun. We are outdoor types. I hope I answered what you wanted.

dogwalker
August 17th, 2007, 05:28 PM
Responsible dog ownership:
1. Keep yourself healthy, mentally and physically.
2. Love your dog.
3. Provide basic needs, such as food, water, shelter, exercise, medical attention when needed.
4. When making decisions about your lifestyle, etc ask yourself, “What impact will this have on my dog?”
5. Continually educate yourself on your dog’s needs.

Pick breed:
Initital decision to pick an English Setter was not based on my lifestyle. My boyfriend at the time wanted an English Setter because his family had one growing up. It was a very friendly family dog. I had never even met an English Setter “in person” before. Well, the relationship with the boyfriend didn’t last, but my love for English Setters is going on 20+years strong! Funny thing about relationships: I am very independent. I am not willing to change who I am or how I want to live my life for a mate, but I would do anything for my dogs. Back to question: in retrospect a setter is my dog because:
1. Unending love, love, love.
2. Energetic, yet settle down and are great house dogs.
3. Very responsive: great eye contact and want to please.
4. Love the outdoors.
5. Did I say love, love, love?
I feel I am not answering the second part of the question very well. I guess I didn’t pick the setter because of my lifestyle….It’s more of a fit with the personality-type of the dog. More because of the connection I feel with the setter. They tug at my heartstrings. I guess part of my personality is to “do what I want, when I want to”…..but for my dogs, it is more like “I think about what their needs are and adjust according…” I wouldn’t have it any other way.

LavenderRott
August 17th, 2007, 05:34 PM
Responsible dog ownership:
1. Keep yourself healthy, mentally and physically.
2. Love your dog.
3. Provide basic needs, such as food, water, shelter, exercise, medical attention when needed.
4. When making decisions about your lifestyle, etc ask yourself, “What impact will this have on my dog?”
5. Continually educate yourself on your dog’s needs.

Pick breed:
Initital decision to pick an English Setter was not based on my lifestyle. My boyfriend at the time wanted an English Setter because his family had one growing up. It was a very friendly family dog. I had never even met an English Setter “in person” before. Well, the relationship with the boyfriend didn’t last, but my love for English Setters is going on 20+years strong! Funny thing about relationships: I am very independent. I am not willing to change who I am or how I want to live my life for a mate, but I would do anything for my dogs. Back to question: in retrospect a setter is my dog because:
1. Unending love, love, love.
2. Energetic, yet settle down and are great house dogs.
3. Very responsive: great eye contact and want to please.
4. Love the outdoors.
5. Did I say love, love, love?
I feel I am not answering the second part of the question very well. I guess I didn’t pick the setter because of my lifestyle….It’s more of a fit with the personality-type of the dog. More because of the connection I feel with the setter. They tug at my heartstrings. I guess part of my personality is to “do what I want, when I want to”…..but for my dogs, it is more like “I think about what their needs are and adjust according…” I wouldn’t have it any other way.

LOL!!

If you were talking to someone that was thinking of getting a dog - what things in THEIR lifestyle would you take into account before recommending a breed?

dogwalker
August 17th, 2007, 05:56 PM
LOL!!

If you were talking to someone that was thinking of getting a dog - what things in THEIR lifestyle would you take into account before recommending a breed?

:laughing: Ok:
1. Where do they plan to keep the dog. Inside only, outside only, vs both. Along with this question, is whether they have a fenced yard or not.
2. What do they plan to do with the dog when they travel.
3. What do they plan to do with the dog when they are not home.
4. Do they have children or other pets.
5. How active is their lifestyle in terms of outdoor activities.

LavenderRott
August 17th, 2007, 05:59 PM
:laughing: Ok:
1. Where do they plan to keep the dog. Inside only, outside only, vs both. Along with this question, is whether they have a fenced yard or not.
2. What do they plan to do with the dog when they travel.
3. What do they plan to do with the dog when they are not home.
4. Do they have children or other pets.
5. How active is their lifestyle in terms of outdoor activities.

See. That is PERFECT! Exactly the kinds of things I was looking for.