Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Chewing Cat

want4rain
August 14th, 2007, 02:23 PM
no, im not going to eat my cat, although if he eats another one of my cabinets im going to seriously think of feeding him to my dog!! (J/K)

we had his teeth cleaned a few months ago. said they looked great but he had gingivitis. went through 10 days of clavamox. his mouth looks great. we have him on a raw meat and bones diet so he gets a real work out now.

we have replaced over $200 in power cords, two cell phones because we couldnt PURCHASE power cords.... a box fan... he chews my cabinets, baby toys, Cailyns toys, pencils.... pens (OMG)... i bring sticks in the house which do NOT interest him.... anything wood he can get his mouth around like the edge of the stairs.

we have sprayed *everything* in this house down with bitter apple and do so every 2 months or so. :confused: what the heck is up with this guy?! personally, im tired of touching somehtign and finidng that taste on my fingers. i love him to pieces but we are getting ready to sell out house, he has personally damaged *all* of the lower cabinets with chewing. if we replace them.... and run out the door real quick we might be able to spare the new ones but this is getting to be a bit much.

and no, thats not a typo in my title. my CAT (not dog) is chewing my house to pieces.

badger
August 14th, 2007, 03:00 PM
Did you put him on raw after his dental work? For no particular reason, I wonder if there could be a connection. I have never heard of this particular habit. Could it be pica?

For more generalized pica there are a lot of theories. Increased dietary fiber helps some cats. Other respond to access to greens (grass, green beans, sprouts, etc). In some instances medications for obsessive/compulsive behaviors such as clomipramine (Anafranil Rx) may be helpful. Some people feel that consistent punishment might work but this can change your relationship with your cat.

Love4himies
August 14th, 2007, 03:02 PM
I have never heard of this in cats either. Has your vet given you any suggestions? I wonder if he has toothaches and that is why he chews.

jessi76
August 14th, 2007, 03:07 PM
I wonder if he has toothaches and that is why he chews.

I was wondering the same thing... is this a new behavior? after he had his teeth cleaned? after the change in diet?

want4rain
August 14th, 2007, 03:25 PM
the chewing developed at a year or so?? he is 3 now??

i didnt mean to imply it was after raw or getting his teeth cleaned. we got his teeth cleaned and then put him on raw to battle the gingivitis. heck its the whole reason iim here really. we thought the raw had given him whatever it was he needed but i guess not. which isnt to knock raw or anything.... but its obviously not attached to his gingivitis. or its not gingivitis. his gums are still red after getting his teeth cleaned, chewing daily on raw meaty bones and a full round of clavamox.

did i mention that he bathes me several times a day?? he *has* to pin me down any chance he gets for MY bath. *sigh* it was cute before but now that its 8 or 9 times a day... thankfully they arent the 30 minute long deal they use to be.

-ashley

badger
August 14th, 2007, 03:30 PM
Wow, pretty obsessive, although once my big tabby gets going, he could lick forever. I'd try him on a crumb of medication.

want4rain
August 14th, 2007, 04:03 PM
Did you put him on raw after his dental work? For no particular reason, I wonder if there could be a connection. I have never heard of this particular habit. Could it be pica?

For more generalized pica there are a lot of theories. Increased dietary fiber helps some cats. Other respond to access to greens (grass, green beans, sprouts, etc). In some instances medications for obsessive/compulsive behaviors such as clomipramine (Anafranil Rx) may be helpful. Some people feel that consistent punishment might work but this can change your relationship with your cat.

PICA!! sorry i just finished (sorta) googling that!! thats it!! i didnt know that WAS something.

we have always given greens so that hasnt helped although he DOES eat them.

we have punished before (squirt bottle) when we actually catch him doing it but it doesnt stop him, it only stops him when WE are looking. (boy thats a cat for you huh??)

i guess we have already sort of gone the route for treating this without really knowing this was it. changing his diet, feeding more greens, spraying things down..

we can try more fiber. i betcha i could get him to eat sime pumpkin?? peas are pretty high in fiber (he eats those already but not regularly) or some birdseed?? i doubt he would be interested... we give them loads of attention already....

THANK YOU!!!

-ashley

onster
August 14th, 2007, 04:08 PM
ashley, my kitty hazel is going thru the same thing. He chews on anything..wires, metal frames, fingers, pencils, balloons (he pops them on purpose then chews on them)...u name it!

I tried bitter yuck (is that the same as bitter apple???) and it didnt help at all! :( Like u I would touch things and then wonder why my sandwhich tasted weird but he would lick the stuff right off my fingers.

Please let us know if the fiber thing works for u/ anything else that does.

jessi76
August 14th, 2007, 04:19 PM
just some suggestions to protect your stuff...

vick's vapo rub may work better then bitter apple spray on wires.

double sided tape also works wonders to keep your cat off things. i.e. keep cats off desks/tables/shelves where they are getting up to chew on pens/pencils, etc....

some cats (not all) hate aluminum foil (won't walk on it) and fresh lemon/lime/oranges (fresh citrus) is another great way to deter cats from some areas.

When my cats were kittens I used to jam throw pillows and big beach towels behind anything w/ wires, such as TV, stereo, computer, etc... jam them in good so they aren't easily moved.

Leave appropriate things around for them to chew on... pots of cat grass & catnip on the floor or tabletop may help refocus them.

Jim Hall
August 14th, 2007, 05:55 PM
lol maybe give him a chaw of chewing tabacoo
just kidding

want4rain
August 14th, 2007, 06:43 PM
will do onster!

jessi76- are the ingredients in the Vics ok for cats to ingest?? i have to say ive never used it so i couldnt tell you whats in it!!!

the double sided tape worked wonders for us but found that the tape sometimes sticks to whatever you stuck it to. :)

-ashley

jessi76
August 14th, 2007, 08:00 PM
i wouldn't use the whole jar of it, but a SMALL amount should go far. My trainer actually suggested it for my dog, put a small dab on his nose to break him of his bad habit of keeping his nose to the ground and not paying attention to me while learning "heel" (he was too obsessed w/ the many doggy smells to pay attention during training class).

it's a very strong smell, that your cat probably won't go near. I would never recommend your cat actually ingest it though, it's meant as a deterrant, so if the smell doesn't seem to bother your cat, don't use it.