Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Toy/ Foeign object ingestion?

krdahmer
August 14th, 2007, 10:27 AM
Just a question for those of you that have dealt with this or are dealing with this...

Last night I was sleeping and woke to a strange noise, which turned out to be Fagan chewing apart one of his toy springs. I immediately took it away and threw it out, but am unsure if any was missing I really couldn't tell, it didn't look like it, I think I caught him in time.

But if, heaven forbid, I didn't, what are the signs I should be watching for? I know some of you have cats that eat plastic... how do you know when they have done it if you don't catch them? Do they throw up? Stop eating? Have trouble in the poop department? Show signs of physical pain?

Fagan spit up a bit of food and bile today, but that is not necessarily cause for alarm as he does that often after eating too much. (He is a regurgitator.)

mummummum
August 14th, 2007, 11:24 AM
:fingerscr that everything "passes" for Fagan. My mother's cat would often go through a period where he had the dry-heaves over an hour or so until he finally through up the object/ bits of object. He always had cat grass around and would often chomp on that I guess in an efforts to ease his tummy. Luckily he never had an obstruction. He did pass string, tinsel and thread on several occasions. From what I understand with cats those are the big attractions and they quite often lodge at the base of their tongue. Any chance he'll open wide and let you have a look ?

If it's a sharp bit (as in a bone in the case of my dogs), I will give them pieces of white bread in the hopes that it forms a cushion around the bit. :goodvibes:

Love4himies
August 14th, 2007, 11:33 AM
I would be watching his litter box activities to ensure he is going poop regularily and not straining. Also watch very closely to ensure there is no belly swelling or eating habits change.

I had a cat that swallowed a sewing needle with a piece of thread on the end of it. It was on the back of the toilet and I opened the shower curtain to see her trying to spit it back up. I jumped out of the shower but could not get it out of her mouth in time. She had to get emergency surgery, but the timing was good, she was only 5 months so I had her spayed at the same time.

krdahmer
August 15th, 2007, 11:48 AM
I've been watching him closely the last couple days and all seems fine, it would have caused trouble by now right?

Love4himies
August 15th, 2007, 01:56 PM
I would continue to watch for a couple of days just in case. Any sign of him being "off" you should bring him to the vet.

krdahmer
August 15th, 2007, 02:41 PM
Ya I'm pretty in tune with this little man, we've been through so much in the last year... so I think if anything were off, I would definitely notice. Thanks for the info guys. Here's hoping I don't have to learn about it first hand!:pray:

onster
August 15th, 2007, 03:20 PM
when hazel ( of course it would be hazel!!) swallows foreign objects, he will usually hack it up within the day else poop it out the next day. Right now he is very much into balloons left over from recent birthdays.

I would get some cat grass, it helps them cough up things in general. I hope he is just fine :fingerscr