Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Merrick???? What happened????

krdahmer
August 14th, 2007, 09:20 AM
ARGH!!!:yell:

Palomine is once again on a hunger strike :sad: (well until I can make him his new food or my mom gets here with some more cans to try!)!!

I went to feed him the Merricks I bought a few days ago, and when I opened the can I knew right away something was off... it smelled completely different and it was a different consistency, the meat is more shredded and chunked, and there were no visible carrot chunks. WHY WHY WHY???? SO of course Monsieur Picky Pants here wants absolutely NOTHING to do with it!

I checked their web site and could not see anything about a new formula, so have any of the rest of you feeding Merricks noticed a change? (I am feeding cat of course, and I tried Grammy's Pot Pie -his favorite, Thanksgiving day dinner, and Turducken.) AND the cans I just finished were fine.....:confused: :shrug:

jessi76
August 14th, 2007, 09:35 AM
I feed my cats Merrick canned and haven't noticed any differences.

Chris21711
August 14th, 2007, 09:44 AM
I feed one of our dogs (puppy) Merrick and noticed in this bag of chow there are no peas and carrots, but don't know why, it is the first bag that is minus these goodies.

want4rain
August 14th, 2007, 11:12 AM
hmm, i wont be opening a can until tomorrow. ill let you know. the Grammys Pot Pie and soem of the sea food ones.

-ashley

marlasmemory
August 14th, 2007, 03:32 PM
Yes, I have noticed a difference in Merrick's Grandma Pot Pie - it seem watery now.

loopoo
August 14th, 2007, 04:46 PM
ive been having the same issues with merricks for a couple of months, i phoned over spoke with a woman in customer service at length she got dates and codes of cans, my most recent were a june 2010 date, said they meet with quality control every fri and were aware of the issue and fixing it. she said to check with your supplier try to get dates on cans that were more recent july 2010 date if we could, as they checked those cans and they were not watery, offered me some coupons :) also said it may take up to 60 days before we notice a change, that would depend on how much the store we buy from brings in and changes the supply.

rainbow
August 14th, 2007, 06:11 PM
Merrick had a lot of quality issues a few years ago and I've read from other forums that some people will never feed this brand because Merrick also has a rendering plant on the same property.

wdawson
August 14th, 2007, 06:56 PM
ARGH!!!:yell:

Palomine is once again on a hunger strike :sad: (well until I can make him his new food or my mom gets here with some more cans to try!)!!

I went to feed him the Merricks I bought a few days ago, and when I opened the can I knew right away something was off... it smelled completely different and it was a different consistency, the meat is more shredded and chunked, and there were no visible carrot chunks. WHY WHY WHY???? SO of course Monsieur Picky Pants here wants absolutely NOTHING to do with it!

I checked their web site and could not see anything about a new formula, so have any of the rest of you feeding Merricks noticed a change? (I am feeding cat of course, and I tried Grammy's Pot Pie -his favorite, Thanksgiving day dinner, and Turducken.) AND the cans I just finished were fine.....:confused: :shrug:

myself and another member had the same problem a year or so ago....they changed the tripe supplier....it smelled bad.....if you send them an e-mail they might send you free coupons.....i got 12 cans and prin got the same i think....http://www.merrickpetcare.com/contact_us/

krdahmer
August 15th, 2007, 11:47 AM
:thumbs up Ok so Palomine gobbled it up today. What happened it seems is I had bought these cans from a different pet store which must not sell many cause when I checked the expirey dates were next month and Dec/07. The cans my mom brought were from my regular store and expire in 2010. The formula must have changed cause those newer ones again had the carrot chunks and the consistency he likes. So I am returning the rest of the old ones to the store and going to the other store to stock up on the good stuff....

Just glad it was something simple!:)