Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Safe Drinking Water

sheltieparents
August 14th, 2007, 09:48 AM
Hello, we have a 6 month and a 3 year old Sheltie. We recently buit a small Rock Garden in our back yard that includes a water bubbling rock. It's basically recycled water through a 5 gallon bucket buried in the ground. What we didn't consider, is how to keep the water safe for drinking. Some of the rocks are showing signs of algea growing, so we have to treat it. Anyone have any ideas on how to do this? Thanks in advance.

want4rain
August 14th, 2007, 12:16 PM
dont let them drink from it if you are treating for algae. the algae in and of itself is harmless but the chemicals you use to treat it are. :)

-ashley

mummummum
August 14th, 2007, 12:35 PM
I don't know anything about ponds but I do know that blue-green algae can be toxic. Maybe you need a water test kit to determine the kind of algae growing in your pond. Here is the Merck section :

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/210200.htm&word=algae

want4rain
August 14th, 2007, 02:53 PM
i can identify most algaes by look, feel and smell. :) (fish keeping and all that good stuff)

-ashley