Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Schitzo Yorkie

Tina's Parents
August 13th, 2007, 11:12 PM
Hi there, we are new to this forum and we are desperatley in need of help. We have a 2 year old female yorkie and she goes nuts whenever she sees anybody that she does not know. It is embaressing to say the least as we go camping almost every weekend and nobody can walk by without her going nuts. Now if these people happen to be on a bicycle then it only makes the matters worse. We have no idea what to do. We have talked to a couple of yorkie owners in our town and they told us that there's were like that until around 4 years of age. Is that correct and if so is there anything we can do for the next 2 years?:ca:

bethaliz
August 13th, 2007, 11:27 PM
You may want to consider taking her for some training and/or and obedience class. My instruster was great in helping me deal with issues like that. Getting in the "training mode" I find helps Roxie learn alternate behavious more quickly. YOu may then want to teach your dog to "speak" or bark on command. Which, if she's barking at people outside works for you. So when she starts barking tell her speak and give her a treat. Then start giving her treats and asking her to speak when there's no one outside. Once she understands what "speak" is, it's easier to teach quiet. So you would tell her "speak" and reward. Then tell her quite, while she's being quite and the reward her. Make her be "quite" a little longer each time. Then when she starts parking at someone you can tell her "quite" and she will, as she thinks you'll give her something.

Remember too that it is normal for dogs to bark, she's only letting you know someone's out there. A trainer will be a great help in helping her to conform to the behaviour you prefer. It also helps make your bond stronger.