Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How long is your dog crated?

Tommysmom
August 13th, 2007, 10:48 PM
For those of you who use crates, how long is your dog crated during the day?

The reason I ask is because I wonder if I'm too worried about it. My husband and I both work retail hours and there are two or three days a week where we both work the same shift, so Tommy would be in his crate for about 8 hours - the other days one of us is off or our shifts overlap so it's less time that he's alone. The days that he's there for 8 hours I make sure I go home at lunch to let him out to pee, have a drink, play a bit and catch some sun.

The last couple of weeks Tommy has wanted nothing to do with me on these lunch breaks, LOL... he wakes up when I get home and makes a big production of stretching before coming out of the crate, and reallllllllly lets me know I've disturbed his beauty sleep:laughing: . He doesn't pee, doesn't eat or drink (I think he's outgrowing lunchtime), doesn't want to play. He'll go outside and sleep in the sunshine until I go back in the house, then he'll go back in his crate and go back to sleep! I know when we're home, he sleeps most of the day too - he's really more of a night owl now.

So... why do I bother coming home if he just wants to sleep?? He's not much of a lunch date anymore :laughing: . Should I just let him go the 8 hours and not worry? How long are your doggies alone?

kigndano
August 14th, 2007, 08:27 AM
i have my pup in his crate for 8 hours with a break in the middle of the day as well.

its strange that yours doesnt want to run around or anything, my problem is getting mine to settle down most days.

i think 8 hours straight would be a lot, but the break in the middle seems to do the trick

Lukka'sma
August 14th, 2007, 08:35 AM
On days that we both work our shifts always overlap as he works days and I work evenings, so at the most Lukka is crated about 3 to 4 hours. If I had to crate her for 8 hours I would give her an outside break during the middle of it too.

jessi76
August 14th, 2007, 08:56 AM
My dog isn't really crated any longer... although he does use his crate, we don't shut the door anymore. But when he was crated, his time in it gradually increased.... starting at 2 hrs when he was a pup, to a max of 4 hrs. If we have to be gone for 8hrs or more, I usually just put him in doggy daycare for the day, or have a family member come in and spend some time with him. My dog is a lazy dog too - generally just wants to sleep and loaf all morning until noon, then he's ready to start his day :rolleyes: so now we let him do just that, my fiance comes home at noon, and takes him back to work with him for the whole afternoon.

Winston
August 14th, 2007, 09:25 AM
My boy is in the house for about 8 hours...He is not locked in his crate but he spends his day there ! I used to lock the crate up until he was almost 4 years old and he had no trouble holding it for 8 hours or longer! I would make sure he had gone to do his business a couple of times before I leave! They seem to learn how to hold it well.

Cindy

want4rain
August 14th, 2007, 12:22 PM
there have been a few times we have left Mister in his kennel for more than 6 hours but no more than a few. i dont think he is any worse for wear because of it. im a SAHM so im home all day. he had morning zoomies but is a rel couch potato for the rest of the day until it cools off in the evening.

each dog is different. if he doesnt seem to mind, i wouldnt worry about it. i would keep coming home for lunch 'just in case' he changes, say when fall rolls around but i wouldnt worry too much about it. how old is he? is this a growing phase?

if he were impossible to get to settle down, if he was bouncing around his kennel as you opened the door, then i would be a little worried. otherwise, ease your mind. he is fine. :)

-ashley

BusterBoo
August 14th, 2007, 12:34 PM
Buster is in his crate from 7:30 - 4:30 :sad: I hate doing that to him but he is a little trouble maker when allowed to have the run of the house. He has no problems with potty issues in his crate, I leave a little bit of food, some water, some safe toys, a couple of his blankets, a peanut butter stuffed kong and he is fine.

Actually when I get home from work, he doesn't fuss to get out of his "house".

I am at home this week and he still goes in his "house" to sleep during the day, with the door open. I know he feels safe in there.

Frenchy
August 14th, 2007, 12:46 PM
I have to leave for work at 7:30 am and I get back at 5:30 pm. Nelly is in her crate all this time. I don't have a choice , it's for her own safety. She has destroyed lots of things in the house when I tried to let her loose , alone , it's a miracle she didn't get sick from any of it. I live in a very rural area, not a lot of neighbors so I don't have anyone who comes here to let her out, and I work too far from home. :shrug:

Tommysmom
August 14th, 2007, 11:17 PM
Thanks everybody... it's nice to hear I'm not the only one 'locking my doggy up' (as my coworkers say, LOL).

I guess I'll still come home at lunch since I can - I only work 2km's away from my house, so I can certainly give him a break whether he cares about it or not. I just miss how excited he used to be to see me, when he was little it was the most exciting time of the day every time I walked through the door. Maybe my baby is growing up, he's almost a year old now. But if he's content to sleep all day, so be it. He eats, does his business, has some playtime and goes for a walk before he gets crated, and I do leave a kong in there filled with food along with a couple of chew toys (although he ignores all of that now). He certainly doesn't hate it, he goes right to his crate as soon as I turn on the radio and he sits there until I give him his treats and close the door - what a good boy:lovestruck: !

It IS good to hear though that some of you crate your doggies for longer though. I was a bit worried because there may be days coming up where I won't be able to get home... it wouldn't be often, but it certainly will happen. I don't think leaving him out of his crate is an option, he's young and he's a jack russell - 'nuff said:laughing: . Day care is an option, and I used to have other people come by when I couldn't when he was a puppy, but that only works when you know ahead of time and sometimes things come up that you haven't planned. I know it's not ideal but it's good to know that it won't hurt leaving him crated for 8 hours in a pinch!

On a side note... he definitely is growing up - tonight he partially lifted his leg for the first time ever when he peed:laughing: .

kigndano
August 15th, 2007, 08:00 AM
Thanks everybody... it's nice to hear I'm not the only one 'locking my doggy up' (as my coworkers say, LOL).

I guess I'll still come home at lunch since I can - I only work 2km's away from my house, so I can certainly give him a break whether he cares about it or not. I just miss how excited he used to be to see me, when he was little it was the most exciting time of the day every time I walked through the door. Maybe my baby is growing up, he's almost a year old now. But if he's content to sleep all day, so be it. He eats, does his business, has some playtime and goes for a walk before he gets crated, and I do leave a kong in there filled with food along with a couple of chew toys (although he ignores all of that now). He certainly doesn't hate it, he goes right to his crate as soon as I turn on the radio and he sits there until I give him his treats and close the door - what a good boy:lovestruck: !

It IS good to hear though that some of you crate your doggies for longer though. I was a bit worried because there may be days coming up where I won't be able to get home... it wouldn't be often, but it certainly will happen. I don't think leaving him out of his crate is an option, he's young and he's a jack russell - 'nuff said:laughing: . Day care is an option, and I used to have other people come by when I couldn't when he was a puppy, but that only works when you know ahead of time and sometimes things come up that you haven't planned. I know it's not ideal but it's good to know that it won't hurt leaving him crated for 8 hours in a pinch!

On a side note... he definitely is growing up - tonight he partially lifted his leg for the first time ever when he peed:laughing: .

my pup started trying to do that too a few days ago, he also does the thing where he wipes his back paws around the area he poops now. its funny tho cuz hes still kinda uncoordinated in the puppy way, so he ends up like jumping in a circle afterwards

Ford Girl
August 15th, 2007, 12:25 PM
Dazy is crated and will always be crated!!! ha! She is very comfortable with it tho, never a peep out of her. We use an Xpen tho, so there is room for a water bowl, her bed and some stuffies. I say, IN YOUR PEN, and she goes right in her pen. In the morning I dont even have to say it..I put my dress pants on for work, so goes right in with out saying a word. (I dont dare get dressed until I am ready to leave) Cracks me up! Sometimes if I grab treats and a stuffie to play or do training, she goes in her pen...even if I am not intending to pen her...I have to call her out...hahah!

My husband works shift work so here's what we do:

Day shift - in xpen from 8am - 2:30
Night shift - in xpen from 1:30 - 5:00.

We even crate her when we shower, run to the store, nap, sleep at night...she is never left unattended, ever! (she no longer sleeps in our room - YAY!) She is always up to no good, so she is crated. Maybe some day or not.