Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Ewwww... does fishy smell mean problems?

Tommysmom
August 13th, 2007, 10:38 PM
For the last couple of days I've been smelling a fishy smell coming from Tommy's furry behind after he poops. It goes away within 10 minutes or so, but it's pretty strong if he jumps on your lap right after doing his business:yuck: . I've read on here about fishy smells meaning anal gland issues, but if the smell goes away quickly does that mean there's a problem or not?

I've never noticed this on him before... but it's also the first time his poops have been fairly firm on a consistent basis, so maybe that's related? There doesn't appear to be anything swollen or inflamed, no scootching of the butt or anything like that. Could the firmer poops be clearing his anal glands better than they were before? Or is a vet visit in order? I just hate to run to the vet if not necessary, since we seem to be there every month or so still, LOL... it just seems that with Tommy's history I'm still so paranoid about every little thing and I think I take him there wayyyyyyyyy too often for things that turn out to be totally normal.

So... fishy = vet, or fishy = give it a few minutes before letting him jump on your lap:laughing: ?

luckypenny
August 13th, 2007, 10:48 PM
Could the firmer poops be clearing his anal glands better than they were before?

That was our experience with Lucky and our late senior dog, Peanut. You may notice that after he poops, several drops of liquid follow the poop. That would be his anal glands emptying on their own. If the smell continues for more than a few days, you may want to take him to a groomers to have them emptied manually, in case they're somewhat impacted. In our area, it's less than half the price of a vet visit. Hope it clears up soon.

SuprNtrlyAdictd
August 13th, 2007, 10:54 PM
It sounds like anal glands. I hate em and I truly believe it is the worst smell in the world! My dogs don't always scoot or show signs but every now and then I will smell this disgusting odor and I know right away what it is. Its hard to mistake such an odor. However, some dogs get anal gland infections and that can become serious. Usually, we see people in every 2 months or so to have them expressed either by a groomer or the vet.
He may have expressed his all on his own causing the lovely smell.

I have a horrible story to tell about anal glands.
I was bit badly on my thumb by a Coatimundi and I had to rush it under water. I leaned on the exam table we had connected to the sink and I guess I had leaned into a huge puddle of anal glands. I didn't know until I got to the doctor at the hospital and he was worried about the smell of the bite. I was confused and scared but my dear friend pointed out the huge dark wet spot of anal glands on my scrubs. It was so gross!

So I'm sure it's fine but a regular anal gland expression wouldn't be a bad idea.

Tommysmom
August 13th, 2007, 11:03 PM
SuprNtrlyAdictd - ewwwwwwww! That would have been pretty darn disgusting, eh - I guess you work at a vet office, lol.

Luckypenny, I haven't noticed any liquid but I guess I'll be looking now. How crazy we dog owners are, obsessing with poops and furry butts:laughing: .

So, if he only smells for a few minutes after a poop, obviously something is coming out, right? Does that mean it's something that is working ok on it's own then, or could wait until the next vet visit as long as it doesn't get worse? Or if it doesn't stop totally within the next few days does it merit a vet visit all on it's own? (I won't go to a groomer for this... last time my hubby took him to a groomer to have his nails done because I didn't have the time to do them myself, they tried to muzzle him - not because he tried to bite, but because they didn't accept his rabies tag as proof of rabies shots! Crazy... isn't that the very reason they wear the darn tag?? So now he's a bit antsy around groomers, but he adores our vet).

bethaliz
August 13th, 2007, 11:17 PM
My breeder taught me how to check and express anal glands, so I check them during a bath, when you can quickly wash the smell away. My suggestion would be to have his anal glands expressed. Perhaps at another groomers, as it is the most inexpensive thing to do. In most cases, the the groomer will show you how to check them yourself, which causes less cost in the future. If that elivates the problem, then there's no need to visit the vet, if it persists you may want to consider getting a check up. It dosen't sound serious (ie run to the vet right now type thing).

Heres a tip tho, if you ever have to go to the vet for something, like a check up or shots ect, ask them to check your dogs anal glands. They'll do it for free if your there for something else. But if you go in just to have them expressed it's $30.00 (at our vet anyway) for 5 mins! ouch!

luckypenny
August 13th, 2007, 11:33 PM
Luckypenny, I haven't noticed any liquid but I guess I'll be looking now. How crazy we dog owners are, obsessing with poops and furry butts:laughing: .

So, if he only smells for a few minutes after a poop, obviously something is coming out, right? Does that mean it's something that is working ok on it's own then, or could wait until the next vet visit as long as it doesn't get worse?

Yeah, I just confirm Hubby's beliefs that I'm nuts when I intently watch the dogs going for a poop every now and then :laughing: :o Especially when I have to inspect their poop when I worry something's wrong :yuck: :o .

If you see the couple of drops of liquid, than he's emptying them on his own and no need to worry. I'd say that if the smell continues for about a week or more, he probably needs some help to empty them.

As for a groomer, perhaps you can just take him to visit a new one several times and have him/her spend a few minutes with him and offer a few yummy treats so he'll love going there. I don't see them objecting if you explain the purpose of your quick visits, especially if you may be a new customer for them.

Winston
August 14th, 2007, 06:36 AM
My Winston has that happen occasionally...It only last for a 5-10 minute period and then all is well....It started to happen more frequently when his poops firmed up! I wouldnt worry unless you see him scooting or even licking. I had my boy checked after too and she was pleased because they were draining properly. If Winston wondered around after his poop I hardly noticed the smell....Sounds kind of gross but with some dogs you can see the release of the gland after they go.

Cindy
:thumbs up

hazelrunpack
August 14th, 2007, 11:09 PM
Actually, hazel is kinda gettin' to like the smell of anal glands expressing on their own. :o Sure beats having to do them manually! :thumbs up

Tommysmom, we get The Smell a lot here--a dog will have a discharge now and then over a few days and then not again for months, but with 7 dogs, there's usually someone smelling funny every few weeks. If it's really strong, I'll sometimes take a damp paper towel and wipe around the anal area. That's usually all it takes to knock the odor back.

If the problem persists for more than a couple days or the dog scoots or seems to be licking because it's uncomfortable, I'll either try to express the glands myself or have a vet or groomer do it. Normally, though, if the glands aren't impacted, the anal discharge is a very temporary thing...and like I said...you get used to the smell after a while! :D

However, I've never put my arm in a puddle of scent like you did, SuprNatrlyAdictd! :eek: That might be just a bit much! :laughing:

Tommysmom
August 14th, 2007, 11:26 PM
Thank you everybody! I feel so much better knowing that it's pretty normal, I kinda figured as much but just wasn't sure. I'll give it a few days and see how it goes.

You know, I don't even really mind it too much (although I only have one, not seven like you do, Hazel! That might make it a wee bit smellier, I guess!)... it kind of goes along with the I-need-to-burp-as-close-to-you-as-possible habit he has, and the silent-but-deadly-oh-my-that-COULDN'T-have-come-from-that-tiny-body gas he gets once in a while :laughing: . It's kind of gross, but I just love the smell of my doggy, no matter what:lovestruck: .

mummummum
August 14th, 2007, 11:55 PM
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: ...:sorry: You be a funny crazy-dog-lady Tommysmom :laughing: