Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Rude Introductions

mk4uf
August 13th, 2007, 09:37 PM
Our 18 month old lab likes to, as my husband calls it, rudely introduce himself to our guests when they come to our house. Heisman will jump up on people for the first 5 minutes that they are there and then begin to settle down later eventually paying no attention to them. People that he is used to, such as us and friends that are over on a regular basis are not at risk for these introductions but everyone else...look out!!! We have tried gently kneeing, the down or off command, and a barker breaker noise maker, to name a few. We know that he knows better but seems to not be able to control himself. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.:pawprint:

allymack
August 13th, 2007, 09:53 PM
i had the same problem, i found it quite annoying and embarassing. but what i did was i put the leash on my dog and made it short( if your not sure who it is since he doesnt jump on people he knows) when people come into your house just ask them not to pat, talk to or even look at your dog( hold the leash tight the dog might go berserk trying to get to the person) untill he settles down. it may take a bit for him to settle down but he will eventually get the message that he doesnt get any attention untill he is be calm and quiet. and when he has finally calmed down make that when the people do pat/talk to him that they do it calmly or you might get the pooch freaking again. it will take some repetion but it wil pay off soon he will be able to do it off leash.

good luck :)
hope this helps
ally

Ford Girl
August 14th, 2007, 03:16 PM
Hi, there is so much info on here about this, I started a thread months ago about my golden pup, here's the link:

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=39896&highlight=stop+jumping

I did exactly as I was told and she no longer jumps!!! Well, maybe tries to once in a blue moon, but I know the signs and can manage it better. She wants to, you can see it in her eyes, but she knows better now, it took months and hard work and the help from our friends and trainer. All I can say is never put up with it, ever, not once - from the minute you start this training you NEVER let it happen again. You will have to train your friends and visitors as much as you will have to train your dog...you know those friends who say...it's ok, I don't mind. Do not let them let your dog jump.

There is a lot of help on this board, lots of people with the same issues.

Good luck!!!

jessi76
August 15th, 2007, 07:59 AM
you've gotten excellent advice already, and I really don't have much to add. I would certainly keep this dog on leash when people visit, train him to not jump, then phase out the leash.

I just wanted to point out that this, in particular, is soooo true....

You will have to train your friends and visitors as much as you will have to train your dog...you know those friends who say...it's ok, I don't mind.

it's those people who can undo your training in a flash. I hear it all the time also, "it's ok, I don't mind if he jumps on me"... you know what? I MIND! I've worked hard to train him to be polite and NOT do that. definitely be sure your friends and visitors know the rules about the dog, and respect those rules.