Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Grooming Goldens

JanM
August 13th, 2007, 10:23 PM
I'm wondering how often and how others groom their Goldens. I've just started using a long comb that has two different sizes of teeth and a hard bristle brush. This is working very well and I notice that the matting is much less too.

Because it is so easy now, I'm giving them each a whole body grooming every day instead of every two or three days.

Now, if the hairballs in the house disappear, I'll know this is the best grooming method ever!:laughing:

Frenchy
August 14th, 2007, 12:27 AM
I brush them 2-3 times a week , sometimes more , sometimes less. Bailey doesn't shed but Sam has very thick fur and sometimes it's all over the place :D

Ford Girl
August 14th, 2007, 04:00 PM
Dazy sheds alot and has a short coat, thinner then most goldens I've seen, and I use to use a wire brush and a shedding rake 3 times a week, then I bought a Furminator. OMG! Is all I can say!! Well worth the money, I now brush once a week and I get a pile of hair the size of my cat!!! I look for matts every day tho, because we clean her ears and use meds every day, her one ear is always a bit damp and matts often. We dont bath her very often - complete watse of our time!! hahah! And we clip her nails weekly. I thought it would be more work but I think we lucked out with the thinner coat. Here's a picture that shows how thin and short her coat is, and that was before the Furminator, it's even thinner now. Couldn't resist posting a picture! ha!!!

TMac
August 14th, 2007, 04:37 PM
We usually brush Toby once per week or 'as needed', using one of those flat brushes with the metal bristles. He looooooooves it!

Yeah - gotta keep on top of the ear mats for sure!! :rolleyes:

JanM
August 14th, 2007, 06:24 PM
OMG Dazy is beautiful! Bobby, too, has a thin coat but his is all curls. Amber has a very thick coat.

I tried a furminator and at first I thought it was fantastic but, maybe I am using it wrong because very little hair came out of either dog with it. The comb I'm using now gets way more than the furminator did!

Ford Girl
August 15th, 2007, 12:15 PM
OMG Dazy is beautiful! Bobby, too, has a thin coat but his is all curls. Amber has a very thick coat.

I tried a furminator and at first I thought it was fantastic but, maybe I am using it wrong because very little hair came out of either dog with it. The comb I'm using now gets way more than the furminator did!

Thanks, I'd have to agree! hahah! It's neat how they all seems to share the same traits and mannerisms but goldens come in very different packages, long narrow heads, square heads, curly or straight fur, long fur, short fur...dark or light...On our vacation there was a golden at my mom's cottage that belonged to a cousin, her mannerisms were identical but they looked very different. It made being away from Dazy easier. Altho she was a prime example of over breading and BYB, she wasn't even 2 and had plastric hips and a large cone bump on her head from the shape of her skull, poor girl tried to play hard but couldn't, I told my cousin about BYB and that he could use asprin and a whole lot of golden info, they don't do too much research where I am from, it was his second golden, the first had no health issues. Thank goodness he does what ever he needs to do for her, I would assume hip replacments are pretty costly!!!

Did you watch the Furminator video? Not that it's rocket science but there is a technique to it. Every stroke I get a handful, and it works great on the cat too, much to his displeasure.

JanM
August 15th, 2007, 05:01 PM
I just went to the Furminator website and watched the video - that's about how I was using it but I don't think I brushed as hard as they seem to. Regardless, the comb and hard bristle brush are working wonderfully well so I'll stay with that for now!

Goldens in different packages is so true - my two are polar opposites - from couch potato to dynamo; swimmer to "Not Me in That Water"; from never stop fetching to never start... hmm but they are wonder dogs for sure!