Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My dog ate my watch???

mk4uf
August 13th, 2007, 08:48 PM
This is going to seem like a rather bizarre question...I took my watch off last Thursday (4 days ago) and thought that I must have misplaced it when I went to look for it the next morning. I have turned my house upside down and still can not find it. I have an 18 month old lab and am now wondering...could he have eaten it??? :shrug: His stool has been normal and he has acted fine so I thought that if he had I would have been able to tell by now. I feel as though I should maybe contact my vet but don't want to seem crazy if he is having no symptoms! I guess that is my real question...if he had eaten something, such as a watch, would I have noticed a change in something, anything at this point.

Thanks from a concerned and frustrated pet owner!:pawprint:

Jim Hall
August 13th, 2007, 08:54 PM
i would think he would be in some discomfort by now

but it might be "timely" to get an x ray

badger
August 13th, 2007, 09:15 PM
it might be "timely" to get an x ray:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
I predict that you will find the watch somewhere else but if you're really worried, call your vet. It seems to me that he would have passed it over a period of four days, non?

growler~GateKeeper
August 14th, 2007, 01:42 AM
I have seen stories on The Animal Planet of dogs who show very few signs of discomfort after eating things they shouldn't have.

There was a Lab who ate a cell phone & it even rang in the dogs tummy - dog had shown no signs of discomfort except of course the dog couldn't figure out where the ringing was coming from. :D

There was a Rottie who ate rocks, his stomach was Full of them before showing signs of discomfort :sad:

If you haven't found the watch by now - take the puppy in for an x-ray - Labs are notorious for eating that which they shouldn't.

:fingerscr for the watch not being in the pup's tummy, let us know

rainbow
August 14th, 2007, 01:45 AM
I agree with Growler. I also have heard stories like that so I would get xrays to be on the safe side. Good luck and keep us posted. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Lukka'sma
August 14th, 2007, 07:44 AM
X-Ray for sure. Good luck

coppperbelle
August 14th, 2007, 07:55 AM
Even though he isn't showing any symptoms I would contact your vet and get an x-ray. As mentioned these kind of things can sit unnoticed for a while. Labs are notorious for eating things and a watch would have your smell on it and be attractive to a young dog. My golden ate remote controls, keyboards from our computer, cordless phones etc.. because I think they smelled like us.

mk4uf
August 14th, 2007, 02:33 PM
Thank you all for your advice and own hungry pet stories...I called my vet this morning to inquire about an x-ray and after reading all of this I will take him in hopefully tomorrow. Stay tuned for the results!:fingerscr

Longblades
August 14th, 2007, 03:08 PM
Was it one of those watches that can have the alarm set on it? Just put your head next to his tummy for a listen when it is supposed to go off. Seriously, I would be tracking down the poops of the previous days and breaking them up for a look-see. I also would not be surprised if your dog was not showing any signs of discomfort. My girl ate part of a chew toy which appeared in bits over the few days after she ate it and no ill effects to her. The metal in a watch though, don't think it can be good for that to stay inside.

badger
August 14th, 2007, 04:34 PM
And have a last look for that watch tonight. Didja check the fridge, found my glasses in there once, but then I'm probably triple your age :D And pockets.

mk4uf
August 14th, 2007, 06:56 PM
funny enough...I did check the fridge and food pantry, microwave, freezer, etc, etc, etc. I literally have checked about anything I remember touching at all last Thursday. Even the folded laundry that had already been put away. I spoke to the vet this evening and he was certain that either he would have passed it by now if it was small enough or that he would be very sick and showing signs well before now if it was stuck. I am still going to encourage my husband to take him tomorrow just for peace of mind. This whole thing is making me feel like I have lost my mind!!!

Thanks for all of your posts and I will let you know how it all turns out!:pawprint:

hazelrunpack
August 14th, 2007, 10:52 PM
Well, at least you can be thankful you've just the one dog with an odd appetite--we have seven and every time something disappears I see visions of multi-hundred-dollar vet bills because of all the xrays we'd need to find the culprit! :eek: And then, about the time I've decided I'll have to bite the bullet and throw a huge thrift sale so I can take the Lucky Seven in for stomach portraits, whatever was missing turns up someplace stupid where I so conveniently put it... :o (whew!) :laughing:

Good luck with your labby, mk4uf! :fingerscr I hope the watch turns up before you have to pay for xrays! :D

Chelly-Belly
August 15th, 2007, 07:51 PM
Hi there!

My cousin's dog ate a shiny crystal earring. I found it funny but after a few days the dog pooped it out and the crystal was still as shiny! :laughing: since your dog is ok, i don't think there's anything to worry about. but goodluck in finding your watch! :goodvibes:

there was a story about a dog who swallowed a butcher's knife and survived! can you believe it? check it out!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15730776/

heyjude11
August 15th, 2007, 08:16 PM
My friend's Weimaraner ate a whole popsicle stick last week. Last time I spoke to him (the friend, not the Weimaraner) he hadn't passed the popsicle stick. We're not talking a puppy here but an 11 year old dog!

mk4uf
August 19th, 2007, 01:22 PM
Well...Heisman and his Dad went to the vet this week for an x-ray just to ease Mommy's mind since there is still NO sign of the watch. The x-ray showed that there was no watch but instead a small open safety pin inside his belly! The vet was not too concerned but told my husband to check his stool for the next few days to see if he passes it and if not he may need to come back in for another x-ray and evaluate at that time if they should take action to remove it. It is a little scary though to think that here we were looking for the watch and found that. No telling what might be in other dogs or what he might consume later that we may never know about! :pawprint:

Jim Hall
August 19th, 2007, 01:38 PM
well maybe the dog traded the watch have thier been any new toys around you can't remember buying?

hazelrunpack
August 19th, 2007, 01:44 PM
I hope the safety pin is closed!? :eek: :fingerscr

But the mysterious "watch-napping" case is still unsolved! :D Maybe Jim has it right--maybe Heisman hocked it and bought a new toy... :dog:

rainbow
August 19th, 2007, 02:12 PM
I hope the safety pin is closed!? :eek: :fingerscr

No, the safety pin is open.....

The x-ray showed that there was no watch but instead a small open safety pin inside his belly!

Make sure you break open all his poops to look for the safety pin. One of our previous dogs swallowed a fish hook once and he did poop it out safely. Good luck and let us know the outcome. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Are you still looking for your watch? :D

hazelrunpack
August 19th, 2007, 10:25 PM
:eek: Oy! I gotta read more carefully! :eek:

:fingerscr that it escapes on it's own! I knew a dog once that swallowed an open diaper pin (you know--one of those big honkin' ones?) and it passed without incident. :thumbs up :goodvibes: