Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Kittens eyes are RED

Holly5cat
August 13th, 2007, 08:47 PM
I have rescued 4 stray kittens. They have been bottle fed for 3 weeks and last week went to kitty food.

I noticed that one of the kittens "whites" of his eyes look like broken blood vessels in there.

Is that serious or were the kittens just playing rough?:shrug:

Dr Lee
August 13th, 2007, 09:18 PM
Do you have a picture?

If the white part (the sclera) is redish in general this can be indicative of inflammation which could be infection such as herpes, chlamydia, etc...

If the sclera has large red blood vessels and the rest of the white is white - then this is normal. Some kittens have prominent vessels.

If a portion of the sclera is blotchy red, then I would be concerned about trauma.

Again, could you post a picture?:pawprint:

Holly5cat
August 13th, 2007, 09:58 PM
I'm new to the site, so I am going to try to figure out how to add a picture. Otherwise, do you have an email I can send it too?

Holly5cat
August 13th, 2007, 10:30 PM
Here is a picture of the red eyes. Both eyes look the same.

Do you have a picture?

If the white part (the sclera) is redish in general this can be indicative of inflammation which could be infection such as herpes, chlamydia, etc...

If the sclera has large red blood vessels and the rest of the white is white - then this is normal. Some kittens have prominent vessels.

If a portion of the sclera is blotchy red, then I would be concerned about trauma.

Again, could you post a picture?:pawprint: