Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Unwanted Critters In Your Yard

mummummum
August 13th, 2007, 07:49 PM
Got unwanted critters (skunks, racoons, deer, porcupines etc.) in your yard? This was mentioned in a e-newsletter I get so did a little further research. It seems to work, is more or less harmless to critters, doesn't require extensive installation and is non-toxic ! A good way to make sure your dog isn't sprayed by skunks at night. And, I imagine if your neighbours cat likes to use your yard as a litterbox (even though the cat shouldn't be wandering about in the first place :sad: ) ~ this will teach them to stay in their own yard as well.
http://landscaping.about.com/od/helpforconsumers1/gr/scarecrow.htm

Dracko
August 13th, 2007, 07:53 PM
This is one reason I don't mind not having a backalley at all. Animals really can't get in my yard unless they were really small and slipped through a hole in my fence where my driveway is.

Heck, in the city I used to live I had a DEER in my back yard once. :eek: And, I lived IN the city.

krdahmer
August 13th, 2007, 08:05 PM
Think that would work on my beer drinking 22 year old neighbour whose drunken friends broke my gazebo at like 1am Friday night???!!!:mad: :laughing:

coppperbelle
August 13th, 2007, 08:26 PM
I have heard about this and it apparently works.

want4rain
August 13th, 2007, 10:09 PM
i just ripped up 7 (SEVEN!!!) of my toms. i have gotten 3 cherries off of them all summer long. i SHOULD ave had several dozen of my larger tomatoes at the very least. either the squirrels or the deer keep eating them. :mad: :mad: :mad:

-ashley

clm
August 14th, 2007, 07:36 AM
Those scarecrow sprinklers have been around a while in the koi world. Supposed to help with pond predators like Herons.
I actually love all the different beasties that visit the garden, so I don't think I'd ever use one. I gave up on vegetable growing years ago, the groundhogs and rabbits won, they eat in the neighbours yard now. :laughing:
We don't have skunks around often fortunately, but Yogi did get sprayed a couple of years ago and with his coat, that wasn't a whole lot of fun. :laughing:

Cindy

chico2
August 14th, 2007, 08:33 AM
I don't mind the strange critters either,love watching them at night.
I too do not grow veggies,gave up on that a long time ago,not because of critters,but bugs,bugs and more bugs.
I do not think Squirrels would eat your tomatoes,but others probably would..but then again I feed my Squirrels,they don't need to eat tomatoes:laughing:

The Sprinkler-thingy is a great idea,except your already high water-bill would go higher,for us who pay for water...:yell:

Love4himies
August 14th, 2007, 08:43 AM
Last night I was waken up three times by unwanted critters in my back yard. I live in the country so it is inevitable :sad: , but would love to get rid of the raccoons, but love all the others.

They reck my bird feeders, try to get into my BBQ, wake me up with their fighting, climb my wild apple trees and destroy them by breaking branches:yell: .

I was told by pest control that they have a parasite that could be dangerous to cats.

chico2
August 14th, 2007, 08:55 AM
We have Raccoons too,at one time I was feeding them,not a good idea..I ended up with about 20 coons including their babies:yell:
Now we raccoon-proof our house,nothing edible around,garbagebags safely secured in garden-storage cabinet,shed where I keep birdseeds etc,have a lock on the doors.
My birdfeeders are hanging on long metalwires and so far no problems.
Raccoons are survivors,I don't think a sprinkler would deter them,they probably love the shower.
We see raccoon-prints on the side of our pool,so I think they eat at our sloppy neighbors then come for a drink at my house:laughing:
IMO,we have to live with wildlife,especially in the country and try to make any foodsources scares to them,if there is food,they will always return.

mummummum
August 14th, 2007, 11:40 AM
...Heck, in the city I used to live I had a DEER in my back yard once. :eek: And, I lived IN the city.

fyi Dracko I live very near to Yonge and Bloor in Toronto (in other words THE centre of The Centre of the Universe < that's a Canada joke> :D ) and we have deer.

We are inundated here with raccoons (which my dawgz hate) and rabbits dawgz are fascinated by ("come play! let me chase you !!"). I don't mind the lil' babbits, even though the huge reduction in the cayote's have meant we've had a population explosion. The raccoons (not to mention the rats... :eek:) are inevitable in a large city, I only wish people would do simple things like secure their garbage :rolleyes: The only city critters I don't want around and about are skunks ~ so far we've had a few close encounters but no direct hits. And I may be off-base here to you folks over-run with deer but, I'm always awestruck when I, living a 5 minutes walk away from the main intersections of the largest city in Canada, see something one normally sees only in the country. :cloud9:

hazelrunpack
August 14th, 2007, 11:14 PM
We have bears, coons, deer, rabbits, mice of various flavors, coyotes, owls, porcupines, skunks, etc etc etc. So far, they've stayed out of the garden. It's my seven young hoodlum dogs who are the problem! :laughing: And they don't like water :evil:

rainbow
August 15th, 2007, 02:41 AM
We have lots of wildlife here too. I love to watch the deer and elk that come through and the bears as long as I'm inside or they're not too close. :D The coyotes can be a pain when they start howling as the dogs get excited if they're too close. :rolleyes:

Only had a problem with the raccoons once. I heard if you put mothballs in cheesecloth or soak a rag in ammonia that the smell keeps them away. :shrug: I imagine the smell would keep deer away too as I've heard people say they use Irish Spring soap shavings around their plants to keep them away. :shrug: