Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I Have Fleas

Goldyy
August 13th, 2007, 05:56 PM
welll i myself dont have them Yet :laughing: , but my poor babys have them and its been many years since ive had to deal with this problem, i have always just bought spray and shampoo for my dog but my question is the cat as i have not had a cat before i am concerned about him grooming after a spray..what do you all recomend i do and what products would you recomend is safe for use on both cats and dogs?...thanx in advance...Goldyy

SableCollie
August 13th, 2007, 06:30 PM
You have to be really really careful with cats, most products that are made for dogs can be toxic to cats!

I use Frontline or Advantage at my work (dog variety for dogs, cat variety for cats!) they are safer than the old sprays/shampoos. You can get them from your vet usually.

krdahmer
August 13th, 2007, 07:40 PM
I use revolution and a spray for the house from my vet... as the store versions can be deadly....

Chelly-Belly
August 13th, 2007, 08:06 PM
Hi! I personally don't have a cat (I have dogs :) ) but my cousin, who just lives down the road, has a bunch of cats. She's a loyal frontline user. But I heard that Advantage and Revolution can do wonders. Each treatment have a different features so, take your pick. :D

I found a good website (finally!) that explains the different Flea treatments in detail. It helped me with my dogs. I use Revolution on them. :)

Frontline: http://www.petshed.com/articles/using-frontline-plus-for-dogs.html
Advantage: http://www.petshed.com/articles/about-advantage-flea-treatment.html
Revolution: http://www.petshed.com/articles/all-about-revolution-for-cats.html

Lukka'sma
August 13th, 2007, 08:27 PM
I use Advantage on Lukka. Fleas have never been an issue as long as she has been on it.

ancientgirl
August 13th, 2007, 08:36 PM
I've been using Revolution. The last time I took the Dynamic Duo they found parasites on them. Which I need to talk to the vet about, because it was the tech that told me about it after I picked them up from boarding. They still scratch though, but I can't see any fleas on them.

I think it takes a month or two to kill all the fleas on them. But if anybody else knows for sure, I'd love to know.

jessi76
August 13th, 2007, 08:51 PM
if your pets have fleas, your house does too. while it's important to apply a topical treatment to the pets first, don't forget to de-flea your home. vacuum everyday for a few weeks (put a flea collar inside the vac bag to kill eggs), bleach what you can, wash what you can in HOT water, scrub everything down...all linens, bedding, slipcovers, etc that your pets have had contact with.

to check for fleas in a room.... fill a large dinner plate w/ a mixture of dish soap & water. place in center of room on floor (on the carpet). place a lamp (turned on) next to the plate. turn all other lights off. leave overnight. if there are fleas in the carpet, they should jump towards the light, fall on the plate, and drown (they can't jump out due to the soap in the water). so if you see black flecks on the plate in the morning, that room has fleas. (this is not foolproof, but it did work for me)

remember flea eggs can live in carpeting and fabrics for a LONG time.

Goldyy
August 14th, 2007, 01:57 PM
Thank you ALL so much for the replys :) ..Chelly-Belly thank you for the links on the products...you've all been a big help..this site is awesome:thumbs up

Love4himies
August 14th, 2007, 03:04 PM
I use Revolution for cats and it cleared up a flea problem I had with my cats.