Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help with Houdini

Riluke
August 13th, 2007, 04:49 PM
Well Luke has finally found his calling in life - escape artist. It doesn't matter if you put in him the kitchen and block it off, or a crate, that dog can get out.

He doesn't actually destroy the house, but he does pee and poop, which he never does when we are home, or if he is his enclosed areas.

Any ideas on how to discourage him doing that - the pooping/peeing in the house. I figure we can just take the escape act on the road. :laughing:

allymack
August 13th, 2007, 06:30 PM
how old is your dog/puppy?

Riluke
August 13th, 2007, 07:02 PM
He's about 12 weeks old - and I should mention that we have a dog walker come in mid day and take him out for a stroll so that he is not stuck in the house bored all day.

Lukka'sma
August 13th, 2007, 07:32 PM
WOW, I think 12 weeks is far too young to be allowed to roam at will during your absence. Perhaps you need to invest in another crate and purchase something with a different type of closure than what you have now.

allymack
August 13th, 2007, 07:33 PM
is he doing his business in his crate? or is he escaping form his crate( or where he is kept while you are gone) and then doing it. if he is escaping from his crate and then doing it put his in his crate one day and just watch him( stay out of his view and make it seem like no one is home) and see how he escapes, then you can try to prevent it. also just randomly through out the day( if you are home) put him in his crate for only a few minutes and then let him out so he will know he isnt always going to be in it for a while and he wont feel as much of a need to try to escape.

my puppy also used to do this and we couldnt figure it out untill we watched him.we also thought someone left the crate unlocked but he was strong enough to just barge through even when the crate was locked. we started out with short amounts of time in the crate and releasing him(only release him when he is quiet and not stressing or that will teach them that they can be released if the whine and cry) which helped to some extent then we decided to put a blanket over the crate ( leaving a small space on the side uncovered so there is air circulation) which helped to calm him down so much, and totally stopped him from trying to barge out.

also a good house breaking site to use is http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1548&articleid=157

this is what i used to teach house breaking to my puppy worked in a few day, make sure to give loads of praise when hes goes in the right spot

hope this helps and good luck:)

jessi76
August 13th, 2007, 07:44 PM
12 wks = 3 mths = potty break every 3-4 hrs.

Ideally, it's one hour per month old for crating (or confined) time. A 12 wk old pup should be taken outside every 3-4 hrs to (a) learn to go OUTSIDE and (b) gradually build up bladder/bowel control.

I suggest you have your dog walker come 2-3 times for this pup, rather than once at midday.

I highly doubt a 12 wk old pup can get out of a locked wire crate. heck, I have a basenji mix who can jump 5ft fences, climb trees, etc, and even he can't get out of a well made wire crate with 2 latches. Here is the type of crate I'm talking about.....

allymack
August 13th, 2007, 07:54 PM
the crate i use is like this : http://www.pointinggundogs.com/httpdocs/picture_files/remingtonDogCrate.jpg ( sorry about haveing to use a link, dont know how to post pictures) but instead of a lock that you pull together to open( like the one in the picture) i have one that turns, pretty much that same idea. although the wire crates are also a very good option they are stong and sturdy, not too likely that you lovely little pup will escape from that :thumbs up :thumbs up haha
ally

Riluke
August 13th, 2007, 09:13 PM
All good advice.

We definitely don't want him unsupervised during the day, which is way he is confined.
I would like to get the dog walker to come 2-3 times a day but unfortunately the cost is more then i can handle right now. At this moment it is costing me the same amount to have the dog walker come as it is to put my child in daycare. (see it is like having another child). While I do budget lots of money for the furry fella, including vet costs, food, puppy school/obedience training, the pockets go only so deep. (I wish that weren't the case).

It is unfortunate that he does his business when he gets free as otherwise he is for the most part pretty reliable when we are home. He is a big guy and pretty strong, it is amazing what he can break out of. I thought we had the problem solved (yup we did the hide and see what he does method) but there he was again today, happy to see us, roaming free. We may have to crate him but I guess I still have that concern that I would hate for him to be crated during the day when we work and then crated when we sleep, it just seems like too much. Being a country girl i guess I just hate seeing an animal caged, even through common sense says it is for their own protection and safety.

allymack
August 13th, 2007, 09:44 PM
i definatly reccomend crateing him,if you dont already, because just letting him roam in a closed off sectionwill give him more room to do his busines and not be near it after.in his crate make sure he has enough room to stand up lay down and turn around...but make sure it will fit him when he is full grown to avoid haveing to purchase another crate) it will help control the accidents. but just make sure that when the walker comes that your pooch is getting a good 45 mins walk and then maybe 10 mins or so play time afer the walk and then crate him and as soon as you get home take him out of the crate and put him straight on the leash. but when you open the crate door make sure you tell him to wait and dont let him leave the crate untill you release him, this will stopping him from bowling you over when he is bigger and will stop him from running awy and then peeing in your house. leave him out as long as you can when you get home and put him to bed around 10. at 11 take him out for a final pee for the night and re crate him. make sure to give him toys that he cant pull and pieces off of and that could be dangerpous to him. or in the morning put some eanut butter ina kong and put it in your freeezer and get the dog walker to put it in his crate when she is leaving..this will entertain him for a while and then since he used all his energy on the walk he will sleep untill you come home to take him out.
hope this helps.

Riluke
August 15th, 2007, 07:45 AM
Well I think the hubby has made an area that he CANNOT get out of.

In an attempt to avoid the mayhem and destruction we have been doing all we can to wear him out. Last night he had a 'play date' with the dog up the street we ran into on our walk. We didn't hear a peep from him all night. This morning both my husband and I took shifts playing with him, trying to work off some energy in the back yard. I do use the frozen kong toy, I think he likes that.

We are trying to keep him tired out so he is not so destructive. A tired puppy is a happy puppy :dog: