Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

problem with dog peeing when people come into the house!!!

AllisonRobinson
August 13th, 2007, 04:28 PM
:confused: Hi

We have a 3yr old Patterdale terrier who is great with me but when anyone else comes into the house he crouches down on the floor, crawls for a second, starts to pee and rolls onto his back, creating a fountain of pee. We have only had him for 5 months now and have tried ignoring him when people come in and also treats. Does anyone have any suggestions??

Allison :shrug:

SableCollie
August 13th, 2007, 05:34 PM
Submissive urination can be tricky! Have you tried working with a trainer? Good ideas with the ignoring and treats.

It does seem to usually happen when people are entering the home, sometimes just keeping the dog in another room until everyone has entered helps, or keeping them on leash away from the door feeding treats as the people enter. A lot of times puppies will just grow out of it too! Remind people not to reach over puppy's head to pat him, this can make him nervous and cause puddles! Also if you know visitors are coming over, take him outside beforehand to pee so his bladder isn't full.

mummummum
August 14th, 2007, 12:59 PM
My friend's dog peed submissively whenever I came over ~ no one else, just me :rolleyes: (I took it as a compliment :laughing:). This stopped with some training. I called to tell them I was about 5 minutes away. The dog was taken out to the yard for a whiz. I called again when I was coming down the street. They had the dog get a toy, told the dog I was coming, had the dog sit and stay. When I rang the bell, they told the dog Auntie is at the door, bring Auntie the toy. It took a few days of practice but no more submissive peeing! Good luck and let us know how ytou make out !

Ford Girl
August 14th, 2007, 02:49 PM
We use to deal with this, and I have posted on this exact topic before. If you search this forum you will find threads that deal with this with all kinds of useful info and tips!!! It can be managed and most times it imporves with training and confidence building!! Good luck!! Keep us posted!

Longblades
August 14th, 2007, 03:02 PM
Some really good tips and I just want to echo the toy part. That worked with us too and with a friend's dog. Giving the pooch a toy to hold on to seemed to take their minds off the excitement of someone coming to visit