Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Is Buster depressed?

BusterBoo
August 13th, 2007, 08:13 AM
It's been 2 days since Harley went to the Bridge and with the passing of my Mom last week also, I haven't had a lot of time to devote to my other furbaby Buster.

I have noticed for the past couple of days that he is just following me around, hasn't been eating right (but still peeing and pooping), will start to play with his toys, then just stops, goes to the garage door to look for Harley, etc etc.

I know dogs grieve the same as people and I am positive that Buster is missing his brother, but what can I do to help him through this rough time?

Buster was like the energizer bunny, doing the tzu500 (aka zoomies), always into everything he shuoldn't be into and in general a silly puppy.

There must be something I can do to help him? :shrug: I am giving him extra loving, extra treats, extra time to snuggle with me, but he still walks around with his ears pinned down and his tail drooping.

How long is a dog's memory? How long before I get my rambunctious little guy back?????? :confused:

Frenchy
August 13th, 2007, 08:16 AM
Maybe if you give him too much affection (like more than usual ) he then knows something is wrong and acts like it ? When I lost Daisy , Sam was here to keep Bailey company. Maybe play more with Buster to get all his energy out ? :grouphug:

Jim Hall
August 13th, 2007, 08:26 AM
Well i imagine you haven/t been eating too good either

Buster will be OK he knows you are greiving too and as you go the the process of coping with a loss, so will buster.

When my lab Stoner passed, his buddy cat sherbert took a few weeks to get over not having him around. But it was funny that sherbert seemed to go through the same stages of loss that my family did,

Love4himies
August 13th, 2007, 08:31 AM
My Puddles, who lived with my precious Snowball all her life did go through a greiving process too when he passed. Animals can sense our stress and it does get them concerned. We played with Puddles much more and gave her lots of attention to help her though the rough time.

mummummum
August 13th, 2007, 08:31 AM
Harleybuster, it sounds like you are doing everything possible and more. Your grieving also helps him to grieve. You both will get through this tragedy stronger and a more loving family for having supported each other so well.