Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My Cat Sprayed ME!

trid2bnrml
August 13th, 2007, 06:34 AM
TC is doing well after his brush with an ureathral obstruction. But in the last three weeks he has been behaving oddly. I'd like to chalk it all up to his not yet getting neutered. (I plan this just as soon as I get his vet bill payed for the blockage)

Aside from his usual "attention grabs", he has squared off and very non-chalantly sprayed ME!

Of course he then looks at me like he has done what had to be done, and seems confused when I strongly disapprove.

Has anybody else had this sort of problem? I have never had to deal with being sprayed myself.

On one hand, I try to reason that he thinks he needs to mark his "territory", meaning me, but then I can't figure out why, when I've never seen that behavior before, he thinks he needs to do it now.

On the other hand, I suspect maybe he is ticked off at me for some reason, and perhaps this is his way of getting even with me, or showing me that he disapproves of something or the other.

Maybe he thinks I should pay him more attention, but it's just the two of us, so I divide my time by 2---me and "the cat" (which is what I call him when I'm not pleased with him). He has picked up on that, and always tries to make amends by allowing me to pet and cuddle him, of course, my just reward as far as he sees it.

Anybody have any suggestions on why he sprays me, and how to stop him from doing it?

I'll come back later and read any responses...I've got to go shower...again..@!,'./**!?!

clm
August 13th, 2007, 07:00 AM
Cats spray to mark territory. I guess he considers you his territory too.
I've never had an issue with spraying cats actually. Both my previous indoor boys were neutered before they were 6 months old so they never sprayed, my big indoor outdoor male, he's neutered but does spray his territory outside, has never sprayed inside or me.
I don't know how to advise you on this.....I hope someone can give you some answers....there's nothing like the smell of cat pee. :laughing:

Cindy

krdahmer
August 13th, 2007, 07:37 AM
:yuck: I'm just glad my boys are all neutered already! Buddy was done very young, but still goes through the 'motions' of spraying just nothing comes out.... if it did, I'd be sprayed multiple times each day. It is an affection and ownership thing... just like them rubbing their faces on you. You must smell like them to belong in their little tribe. It's kind of flattering if you think about it, he wants all the other cats and people to know that you are his.

Just get him neutered as soon as you can, that usually remedies the spraying behaviour. Until then, there really isn't much you can do, it's a very natural behaviour for male cats. Other than that, keep the shower running!:rolleyes:

Love4himies
August 13th, 2007, 07:40 AM
I have never heard of a cat spraying their owner before. You mentioned in your post he had a blockage, perhaps he should be rechecked by your vet for a possible health reason for spraying you. If there is no health reason, I guess he owns you and you are his territory :laughing: .

Get him neutered as soon as you can, this normally stops any spraying, especially indoor. I did have a neutered male that sprayed cedar hedges outside, but never indoors. He used the cedars to hide from his prey so he marked them as his territory.

Jim Hall
August 13th, 2007, 08:53 AM
To Paraphrase

I love the smell of cat pee in the morning is smells like ,,,, Oh for christ's sake ! wheres the soap!!
I had a cat who did that till we got him neutered.

krdahmer
August 13th, 2007, 09:01 AM
I have never heard of a cat spraying their owner before.
:eek: Seriously?

Man, I've even been sprayed by some of my fosters before they get neutered. Palomine still does it sometimes... but the gross thing about that is that he is neutered and although he is making the 'marking' motion... the 'spray' is coming from his butt!:yuck: :yuck: :yuck: ( I guess that happens when some cats get excited.)

Oh and not to mention I regularly get humped by little Fagan too. Not really sure what to do with that one. It starts out with some harmless kneading... then suddenly I feel so violated! :rolleyes:

Gotta love my strange strange little men...:lovestruck:

want4rain
August 13th, 2007, 09:05 AM
that rott i mentioned a few times??? 165lbs of beautiful german rott peed on me once. i was pretty young so it wasnt like it hit my calf or anything. peed right on my waist. :o

boy i miss him. :lovestruck:

-ashley

Love4himies
August 13th, 2007, 09:10 AM
:eek: Seriously?

Oh and not to mention I regularly get humped by little Fagan too. Not really sure what to do with that one. It starts out with some harmless kneading... then suddenly I feel so violated! :rolleyes:

Gotta love my strange strange little men...:lovestruck:

My neutered male who would spray cedars would take my PJ's (if I left them on the floor), in his mouth, knead them while holding them in his mouth, then try to hump them, but he never tried to do that to me.

krdahmer
August 13th, 2007, 09:15 AM
:laughing: Ya same thing here, but I'm still IN the pj's... :laughing: :crazy:

Chelly-Belly
August 13th, 2007, 07:10 PM
:laughing: your cat is marking you! it's like them saying... "you're MY human!" :cat:

Dracko
August 13th, 2007, 07:42 PM
I've never owned a cat that sprayed. Saw it for the first time at a friend's house. :eek: One of her's unfortunately sprays all over the house!!!!

I love cats and would sacrifice pretty much anything for them but SPRAYING...that would freak me out. Given it is pee, the smell in the house would drive me nuts. I had an older cat who peed on my bed often and I discovered she had the beginnings of kidney disease. THAT I could handle. I put a plastic cover on my mattress, moved a litter box upstairs so there was one up and down for her convenience and learned to wash my bedding OFTEN. But, spraying means ALL OVER THE PLACE!!! You don't even realize it's there sometimes. My friend said hers will spray all over her kitchen cupboards, furniture, etc. :yell: How do you deal with that????

Anyone know if it is more common for males to spray than females? I've heard people talk about males doing it.

growler~GateKeeper
August 13th, 2007, 11:05 PM
Duffy (spayed female) used to spray, when she was younger, outside to mark territory but never sprayed inside & she didn't have to mark territory when I had Calvin cuz no other cat would dare enter the yard. :D

My parents don't have pets now but there are neighbours cats who will come to say Hi & a couple of weeks ago I took her back over to my mum's house for a visit (Duffy & I are in an apt now) & she backed up to the garage & let loose. :D

So yes females will spray even spayed females, though it is far more common in males.

heyjude11
August 14th, 2007, 12:50 AM
Sorry for being the 'downer' here but cats who spray before they are neutered might still spray after they are neutered. Try to get him neutered asap.

trid2bnrml
August 14th, 2007, 03:04 AM
I probably don't smell any better, but what the hey--my first husband couldn't make me his possession, so years later, my cat marks me as his?

At least I know this isn't a lone incident, from the sound of it. While I don't like it, the "intent" is positive, so I'll put a few extra bucks in the kitty (no pun intended) to get my little darling's waterworks cut off.

no wonder he looked puzzled when I didn't defer, as any good female would---he knows hes a handsome little devil, but alas, my heart belongs to....

well, me of course.

Thanks guys, I do feel better---and more determined to get the cash up for the vet's visit...

krdahmer
August 14th, 2007, 08:59 AM
What a handsome boy... :lovestruck: