Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

All about my best friend, my cat Velvet

Nancyrb
August 12th, 2007, 10:44 PM
Hi everyone I am the adoptive mother of Velvet a beautiful Calico Cat I adopted 10 years ago from my children. My grandson was allergic to cats and I adore cats, but had a dog at the time. My dear dog, Emily died 5 years ago of Kidney failure and Velvet has been the center of my life here at home. She is intelligent, sensitive, and truly human in many ways. I took her 2 months ago for her check up and she passed with flying colors. About 3 weeks ago I noticed that for the first time ever she was urinating in the sink. I noticed blood and took her to the Vet. She was put on anitbiotics for perhaps a bladder infection. She was doing well for about 7 days and then started vomiting around the house and also started to eat less. I took her back to the Vet and she suggested it might be more serious. She took an analysis of Velvets urine and no disease was present. She took an xray and no tumors showed up (but she told me in advance that perhaps tumors might not show up in an xray). Sigh, I decided to let her eat her dry food at will and watched her carefully and I thought she was coming around. After two days of no vomiting and seeing her drink and eat she once again was sick. I am not sure what to do now. She has been a devoted and wonderful pet and when my Vet suggested there might be a tumor or perhaps cancer....I would not put this beautiful animal through that proceedure at this sunset of her life. I can not bear the thought of not having her in my life, but I will not allow her to be in pain for nothing. Please help me.......I think perhaps it is still an infection, but I think she was allergic to the antibiotics. She is not on anything right now, but still today she was sick. Perhaps it takes time for the effects of the drugs to get through the system. Sincerely Vel's mom.

growler~GateKeeper
August 12th, 2007, 10:53 PM
I'm sorry to hear Velvet's not doing well - did your vet run full blood tests as well?

10 years old is doesn't have to be the sunset of her life (hopefully) my girl Duffy is a healthy 16 years old, went through a small rough patch w/Hyperthyroidism but is now cured & doing great. I hope your Velvet can life many more years to come.

Welcome to the forum, we'd love to see pics :)

Nancyrb
August 13th, 2007, 08:41 AM
Thank you Growler you are a beauty. Velvet is actually 12 years old (not old in my opinion) and yes the Vet did an analysis of her blood and found no disease present. I am waiting a few days to observe her and see if in fact it might have been a reaction to the antibiotics. If there is any change I am giving some serious thought to another opinion. I am going to try and attach a picture of Velvet to this email. To me she is a sweetie. oh oh having trouble add this attachment. I have to leave for awhile and will try to send a picture of Velvet later. Thank you for your response.

Jim Hall
August 13th, 2007, 12:01 PM
Try to remember that cats are stromg creatures and pull through the most amazing difficulties

Dr Lee is a hero in here and wil probably reply with some advice if he can be of help

hazelrunpack
August 13th, 2007, 01:03 PM
I'm so sorry that Velvet isn't feeling well. :fingerscr that she's just allergic to the antibiotics and will start improving soon.

A second opinion might be a very good idea--sometimes a second set of eyes can catch unexpected things--and it would at least give you some peace of mind or at least a new direction to go in. It's so difficult when our babies are sick :grouphug:

We would love to see a picture of Velvet. This thread might help you post a photo: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=30264 :fingerscr

Nancyrb
August 15th, 2007, 04:56 PM
Thank you all for your responses. I am taking your advice and taking Velvet tomorrow morning for another opinion. I think I have included a picture of Velvet as an attachment. My original picture was too large so I had to use my InfraView to make it smaller. I will post you all if any new results tomorrow.

marko
August 16th, 2007, 04:07 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about Velvet :sad: and I have my :fingerscr.

Here is the resized picture. She is GORGEOUS.

Good luck!
Marko

Love4himies
August 16th, 2007, 07:09 AM
Velvet is beautiful. 12 years is not old for a cat. Was any bloodwork done? Antibiotics can make a kitties tummy upset and not eat.

Lets us know what happens at the Vet.

chico2
August 16th, 2007, 07:18 AM
Nancy,Velvet is a beauty:lovestruck:
I hope you get some answers soon,it's often really frustrating and I am glad you are going for a second opinion,she's obviously not well.
It's highly probable she cannot tolerate the anibiotics,but bladderinfections as most of us know are quiet painful,maybe these antibiotics are just not doing much to help her.

Nancyrb
August 16th, 2007, 01:27 PM
Hi everyone back from the 2nd opinion and the Doctor was great. She said that Velvet looked well, was not dehydrated, seemed comfortable and she was a believer in the "wait and see" approach. She says that if I should see any more vomiting or blood in urine then she would say that the ultra sound would be the next best procedure just to determine if it is stones, some kind of blockage, or something else. She said it was not intrusive and might explain the problem. So I am watching her carefully and am still hopeful that the amount of antibiotic did the trick even though she had a reaction to it. Keeping my fingers crossed.

growler~GateKeeper
August 17th, 2007, 01:33 AM
Nancyrb so glad Velvets' blood work came back good. :thumbs up for gettin' a second opinion.

Velvet is a beauty :cloud9:

Ultrasounds (& Xrays) are non-intrusive & painless though some find the holding still part annoying ;) The vet will determine if she needs sedation for this but sounds like she's a :cool: & calm girl so will probably not be needed, it's very similar to a human ultrasound.

Don't hesitate to call the vet for advice/answers they are there to help afterall :D & most will gladly take the time to answer any question (no matter how silly/embarassing it may sound to you) in order to calm your fears :)

keep us posted on Velvets' progress :goodvibes: :fingerscr :)

Nancyrb
August 17th, 2007, 05:23 PM
Thank you Growler and Vel thanks you too! Will keep everyone posted. I am very optomistic at this point.

badger
August 17th, 2007, 05:35 PM
That is possibly the most well-dressed cat I have ever seen, what a beauty. The striping on her legs is exquisite. Good luck Velvet.

rainbow
August 17th, 2007, 05:52 PM
What a beautiful girl she is. :lovestruck: Welcome to the forum and I hope Velvet is on the road to recovery. :fingerscr

Are you feeding her only dry food? Cats do much better when they are fed wet (canned) food supplemented with dry kibble. What brand are you feeding her? We have a great Food Forum here with lots of information. If you have any questions, ask them there, as you'll get lots more replies than if you ask here. :)

Nancyrb
August 18th, 2007, 03:13 PM
Thank You Rainbow. I Will Go And Look At The Forum For Sure. Vel Was Eating Canned Food When I Wanted To Be Sure There Was Food In Her Stomach Before The Pill, But Since Her Last Vomiting Session Nearly A Week Ago Now, I Have Just Left Her Dry Food Out. I Wanted To Settle Her Tummy. Now That Things Have Settled Down I Will Go To The Forum And See What Kinds Of Canned Foods They Recommend. Thank You For That Information.
Nancy & Velvet

hazelrunpack
August 18th, 2007, 03:16 PM
She is a beauty, Nancy! :lovestruck: Thanks for posting the picture!

:fingerscr and crossed :pawprint:s here that Velvet is 100% again soon!