Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog seems to have EPI

sashag
August 12th, 2007, 11:08 PM
We read an article that Dr. Van Lienden contributed to on Exocrine Pancreatic Insuffiency and the symptoms match the problem with our dog. She had dropped in weight from 40 to 26 lbs and had a ravenous appetite, diarrhea and excess flatulence. Through consultation of our vet, she is taking 3 pancrease tablets twice daily prior to eating 1.5 to 2 cups of prescription ID food. Her bowel movements have become more solid but she has gained only 1 pound back over 3 months. So we are still concerned with small weight increase, continued flatulence and large number of bowel movements. Any advice help Sasha improve more?

Thank you

growler~GateKeeper
August 12th, 2007, 11:45 PM
Has she had a full blood & urine panel tests done? Is it possible there is another unknown issue not being dealt with ie too much stomach bacteria or worms at the same time. Has she been confirmed to have this condition? Have you had a second opinion?

There is a specific test called serum trypsin-like immunoreactivity test has she had that?

Here is an article from a very good source on EPI
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=1627

Quote:
"EPI patients commonly have an overgrowth of bacteria in their intestines which means that the unabsorbed nutrients in the tract have fed the bacteria living there (instead of the patient) and an overpopulation has occurred. This results in a vitamin B-12 deficiency as the bacteria consume the vitamin (instead of the patient getting some). A course of antibiotics is helpful to correct this problem especially early in the course of treatment. Periodic injections of vitamin B-12 have been recommended for patients with EPI.

Treatment is for life. Without enzyme supplementation, all the unpleasant symptoms will recur. The good news is that a response to therapy is generally seen within a week of beginning therapy. Response can be excellent but approximately one dog in 5 will simply not respond well. Many do not ever regain a normal amount of weight."

Hope this helps, keep us updated on her progress :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Dr Lee
August 13th, 2007, 10:09 PM
Has a TLI test been performed? This is a straight forward method of establishing EPI.

Also for treatment of EPI:
1) Pancreazyme - powder only! Mix with food and LET IT SIT for 10-15 minutes. If it does not mix and sit with the food, its efficacy will be diminished.
2) Routine Vitamin B injections every 2-4 weeks initially. Reason - see growlers post.:highfive:
3) Initially I start my patients in 2-4 weeks of low dose of metronidazole to help establish normal flora and minimize intestinal inflammation.
4) I also think probiotics are of great use
5) Use a highly digestible food source.

Most EPI patients will respond very well to this method. Unfortunately it is almost always for live long treatment. The powder is also expensive - I always match the lowest online price and it is still pricy. :sad:

Good luck. :pawprint: