Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

crystals in female dog

pommomx2
August 12th, 2007, 10:13 PM
I have a 4 yr old Pom that has recurring crystal problems; she is now on biotic PH+ powder; had been doing fairly well but started urinating in the house...again. Took her to vet and she said she has another type of crystal. Stop the powder,put her on urinary c/d diet (canned & dry) condition is getting worse. Taking her to new vet tomorrow (Monday). Like our other one a lot but think she is not agressive enough. Sadie (the dog) is housebroked and now seems to be a bit incontinent. She had 1 litter of puppies before we bought her (at age 2). we had her spayed at once. Other than that she's a PERFECT LITTLE GIRL.
Thoughts????

mummummum
August 12th, 2007, 11:14 PM
Treatment of crystals really depends on the type of crystal and whether or not any calculi are forming. Any other information ?

punkyamberlea
August 13th, 2007, 12:27 PM
Another type of food to maybe try would be Royal Canin S/O it treats both types of stones and may be helpful or if its stones Hills S/D but thats one for a certin type of stones. Has either Vet done any x-rays??? Hope Your girl gets better Soon! Amber

SnowDancer
August 14th, 2007, 10:32 AM
Any chance the crystals have formed into stones? Many years ago (1989) my mini Dachshund developed crystals that were in process of forming into stones. He was put on Hill's C/D and then had the stones removed during his back surgery. He had to stay on the C/D for nearly 6 months following stone removal and then was X-Rayed to determine if further crystals had developed. Fortunately they had not. Dachshunds love all food in the extreme, but C/D was not a bit hit with my guy - but eat it he did. Had further crystals formed he would have been on it for life. We now have an American Eskimo - not a lot different from a Pomeranian - and Eskies are also prone to stones. So far so good. He eats a Holistic Salmon A La Veg kibble and I really watch his purines and oxalics - (I get kidney stones so have same problem, although of course my guy's would be bladder stones). But should he develop crystals he too would be put on the Hill's appropriate food very fast - hopefully with good results because he too is a gourmand. Hope your pup is okay.

cinnabon
August 14th, 2007, 10:06 PM
Hi, I am new. My 4 yr old Shih Tzu Zoe has just been diagnosed with struvite cyrstals. The vet gave her Hills , but Zoe will not eat it! I plan on returning the bag and trying Royal Canin Urinary SO[in Canada it is Medi-Cal]

Does anyone know if this will taste any better to Zoe?

Thanks,

Cinnabon
:ca: