Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

my dog and our guest are fighting !

Benny Schnoodle
August 12th, 2007, 08:35 PM
Hello again i have ageneral question we have a 17 month old male schnoodle not neutered and we are dog sitting a 9 month old schnauser female and she is fixed. We have had her a bout a month now and everyday she is fighting with my dog or maybe he is fighting with her i am not sure to be honest .What can i do short of seperating her and him for the whole day and night we have tried everything such as constant corection positive corection (food reward when told to stopand does) my guy is fully trained and has no problem following the rules but her being a house guest we do not want to overstep her families training which is not much from what ive seen not trying to be mean here but she could not even sit on command when she got here.We are looking for any suggestions .Thanks allot

hazelrunpack
August 12th, 2007, 08:49 PM
Are you sure they're fighting? They're both quite young and probably still pretty playful...and puppy play can look pretty intense to someone who isn't used to it! Lots of teeth showing--pulling on ears--pulling at legs and tails--jumping on scruffs--rolling the opponent... Usually noisy, too--lots of mock growls and barking...

I'd worry if there was yelping, one or the other dog trying to get away with its tail tucked, or nipping hard enough to produce blood... Are you seeing anything like that?

luckypenny
August 12th, 2007, 08:59 PM
I was thinking that too. My friends and neighbors cringe when they see my two at play. Have you ever just let them be and see how it ends on it's own?

mummummum
August 12th, 2007, 09:00 PM
Aside from neutering your male ~ which is a good idea both from a health standpoint and a behavioural standpoint...

You are going to have to do some training with the both of them. If they respond to food when you are correcting them ~ you are actually reinforcing the behaviour ("Hey bud, :lightbulb: if we get into a fight, we get a treat so let's make alot of noise and the people will come running!").

I would suggest that if you can't be in the room watching them, you do in fact keep them separated via a baby-gate. When you are in the room and can intercede that's different. You need to watch them for the (sometimes) subtle signals they are giving each other that they either aren't happy with each other or that they are setting you up to get a treat and you need to intervene then with verbal correction or by giving Benny his toy back or by getting the newcomer another toy...or....or...or

If you do want to use food as a learning tool then reward them for playing nicely or for walking / sitting together quietly. Also make sure to give Benny everything first so the newcomer understands her position in the household ~ Benny is first-dawg. But in intervening before the fight begins is far better from a learning standpoint than is breaking up fights.

Benny Schnoodle
August 12th, 2007, 09:48 PM
I will take in to account the things that each of u have said and try come up with a soloution that will fit our house and thanks for the speedy reply. it started out as puppy play but now benny is pining her and repedly biting her no blood but she wines to get a way and then goes and finds her own place if we just let them go at it it will last all night and that is ok on weekend but when having to sleep for work it is a little trying on the patience She is crated for punishment so we have been sticking with it .Benny will always back off when told to with no hessitation no matter what the situation other dogs squirrels and so .I am confident that he is secure in his place in the pack .Most of all she wont leave him alone til he get vicious with her i do not have alot of puppy experiece meaning more than one dog ata time this is a first for us so a lot of behaviours are new to me .

mummummum
August 12th, 2007, 10:00 PM
...She is crated for punishment so we have been sticking with it.

Personally, I would never crate a dog as punishment. When you need to use that crate for safety sake or for recovery, the last thing you want is a dog who views it as punishment.

... it started out as puppy play but now benny is pining her and repedly biting her no blood but she wines to get a way and then goes and finds her own place...Benny will always back off when told to with no hessitation no matter what the situation other dogs squirrels and so .I am confident that he is secure in his place in the pack...

Benny understands his place with you ~ that's why he will back off when you correct him. What he needs to understand is where he stands wither her and she needs to understand she is at the bottom of the pile. That's why it's important that Benny gets everything first even right down to putting his leash on first. And she needs some Nothing In Life is Free training. Benny, by pinning and nipping her, is trying to reinforce with her, his position as first dog.

clm
August 13th, 2007, 07:05 AM
All sounds normal to me with the fighting. My puppies are scrapping all the time, Bentley sounds like a bear and gets really worked up. Baxter being much bigger pins him down and knocks him down all the time. My neighbours too think that they're having a horrible dog fight a lot of the time, but it's rough play at worst. None of them has ever been hurt. Sure you hear the odd yelp and whine when one is pinned, or one has his nose or something else nipped on a little too hard. All part of them working out whose boss dog and whole hearted play as well.

Cindy