Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My basset hound is stinky! Dunno what to do! :(

Chelly-Belly
August 12th, 2007, 08:05 PM
Hi everyone!
I've a basset hound and she stinks a day or even hours after a bath! it's not the skunk type of smell, but more like a strong doggy smell that when she's in a room, the room smells like her! i've tried different shampoos - doesn't work. i remove her anal sac regularly (gross but it's needed). she eats quality dog food. my other dogs eat the same food too but they don't stink. any idea what's causing the stinking? she acts normal and is healthy. dunno what's wrong! :confused: any insights? thanks loads!

growler~GateKeeper
August 12th, 2007, 08:12 PM
How often are her ears cleaned? Bassets & other long floppy eared dogs have smelly ears that need regular cleaning. You can purchase solutions from the vet that work very well

mummummum
August 12th, 2007, 09:22 PM
But, what are you feeding ? How is the condition of her coat and skin ?

Dr Lee
August 12th, 2007, 10:37 PM
Recurrent malodor after bathing can be from dermatitis. A common cause is allergies and/or skin infection. Allergies can be secondary to the environment and/or food. Skin infections such as yeast or bacteria can also lead to malodor. Ear infections can also be great source of malodor.

If it is something like mild yeast infections due to allergies (there is a 'waxy' feel when you pet her), then after the shampoo, pour white vinegar on, let it sit for 5 min, then rinse and use conditioner. The acetic acid in the vinegar kills yeast and bacteria.

A veterinarian visit would be a good idea. :pawprint:

Chelly-Belly
August 13th, 2007, 12:22 AM
Thank you all for the quick reply. well, her ears are cleaned like once a week. Is once a week enough? her food is Optima Lamb and Rice, her skin and coat is shiny and healthy and she has no allergies or bald spots. :confused:

Recurrent malodor after bathing can be from dermatitis. A common cause is allergies and/or skin infection. Allergies can be secondary to the environment and/or food. Skin infections such as yeast or bacteria can also lead to malodor. Ear infections can also be great source of malodor.

If it is something like mild yeast infections due to allergies (there is a 'waxy' feel when you pet her), then after the shampoo, pour white vinegar on, let it sit for 5 min, then rinse and use conditioner. The acetic acid in the vinegar kills yeast and bacteria.

A veterinarian visit would be a good idea. :pawprint:

Yes, Dr. Lee. her coat is has like a waxy feel. When I put white vinegar, is this in pure form of do I have to dilute it with a little water? Thanks so much! :)

Dr Lee
August 13th, 2007, 07:54 PM
The vinegar bathing: 1) dog in tub. 2) Wet down. 3) Shampoo like normal. 4) Rinse. 5) white vinegar - do not dilute. Pour over pet, do not get into eyes. Let it sit for 3-5 minutes. 6) rinse thoroughly. 7) Conditioner and rinse. 8) Dry. 9) Let dog run around house like a mad woman, run outside and roll in dirt and then jump onto your furniture. (Step nine seems essential for my dogs :crazy: )

If a couple of these treatments does not permanently get rid of the smell, then I would recommend a veterinarian visit. I have had some that have had mild allergies which lead to recurrent superficial skin infections.

One final thought, when were her anal sacs last expressed or checked? Another cause of generalized malodor. :pawprint:

Chelly-Belly
August 15th, 2007, 07:24 PM
Thanks, Dr. Lee! Her anal sacs are emptied once a week or once every two weeks. My vet taught me how to do it. It's gross but someone's gotta do it! :p I'll try the vinegar solution you mentioned. :D thanks again!