Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

agressive dog

allymack
August 12th, 2007, 05:34 PM
hey everyone, this site is really helpful:thumbs up but i have a new question, when i have my dog around other dogs (5month old male border collie) he lungs towards them, and i am not usre if he is doing the out of fear or dominance, and i have no idea what to do , every one says that its just a learning process and to just let it go ( which i dont think is the right tthing to do!!!) and that he is on a leash so that is affecting his behavior..but i am not to sure about that. any ideas on how to curb his what seems to be agression?? thanks alot
ally

mummummum
August 12th, 2007, 06:47 PM
Have you started obedience classes yet ? BC's are ~ I'm sure I don't have to tell you ~ very smart, love to work and can be fairly errr... focussed :D at times.

At five months he has already started to learn so now is a good time to begin correcting his behaviour. In my books lungeing is not acceptable. Sometimes it's a lack of socialization (he doesn't know how to say "hello"), sometimes it's over exuberance (he is a puppy afterall) and sometimes it is dog-dog aggression (which for some dogs is triggered by being on-leash but sometimes it's merely the presence of other dogs)

Tenderfoot has an excellent training video/ dvd ~ http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=8252

This is a training tip I used and it worked very well...

Dog on loose lead with one hand hold leash handle, the other arm partially down lead but not grasping. Walking dog at a heel. Watch dog carefully for first subtle sign that he is over-attending to oncoming dog. Immediately turn sharply into the dog so he has to turn around and walk a few to ten paces in other direction. Turn quickly again back to your original direction. Continue to do this until you can approach on coming dog without your dog showing any particular attention to the oncoming dog. At this point (disinterest) he is ready to meet other dogs !

Now, with my dog, I had few people I could practice with so had to rely on natural circumstances. This meant that I had to step onto the street so that there was no chance of contact (he's a big boy with a big bark and a hefty lunge) while we were training. In my case, Declan just had no idea how to meet other dogs while on lead as well as having problems with men. So the more chance you have to practice with a friend and their dog. I also recommend finding as many opportunities for your dog to socialize along with obeience classes and of course, Tenderfoot's video.

allymack
August 12th, 2007, 11:19 PM
well we start training classes in september, they reccomedn for the to be 6 months old before they start. thanks so much for the advice i will start working on that first thing tomorrow (to dark now, he wont see the dogs any ways haha :) ) and i will defianately check out tenderfoots video from what i hear they are very good trainers. thanks again
ally

mummummum
August 12th, 2007, 11:40 PM
Sounds great ! Just an fyi for the future (never say "Never" :laughing: cuz you "Never" know !) ~there are actually puppy classes for the wee ones which many doggy daycares and training centres offer.

allymack
August 17th, 2007, 03:42 PM
how do i know if the aggression is out of fear or dominance...i know he stares the dog down so i am thinking it is out of dominance...?

TMac
August 18th, 2007, 09:52 AM
how do i know if the aggression is out of fear or dominance...i know he stares the dog down so i am thinking it is out of dominance...?

You might want to get in touch with other border collie owners. As far as I understand, the staring down thing is a natural instinct for them that they use for sheep when working. I don't know if that means its fear of dominance. Perhaps the local border collie club can help? I know they are very very smart as mummum said and you'd probably need to keep on top of training.

My dog gets really scared when border collies or aussies stare him down!! He'll put his tail between his legs and hide behind me! Almost funny since he's such a confident 'in your face' dog with other dogs any other time! Big chicken :laughing:

allymack
August 18th, 2007, 11:02 AM
thanks i will definately look in to a local border collie club, good suggestion :thumbs up i didnt even think of that but it should help quite a bit