Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I Found a Cat on an Island Vacation

kubricks
August 12th, 2007, 04:39 PM
Hi Everyone,

I am currently on a small island in Greece. 3 days ago I noticed a cat as I was driving on my scooter. She way lying to the side of the road and did not seem afraid of my scooter. I noticed she had an eye missing which is mostly healed. She started to follow me and I brought her home and cleaned her up a little bit and took her back where I found her because she was tame and maybe belonged to someone.

Yesterday I decided to go for a walk, and around 3pm I saw her walk across the road and collapse in front of me. She was in real bad shape from the heat and would surely have died if I did not come across her. I now am really upset with myself for not keeping her with me when I first saw her. I brought her back and laid her down on the cool tiles. She could barely move. I let her cool down for about 20 minutes then brought her some food. She ate so much and I think she must have been starving although she was not too far along. I gave her milk and she drank quite a bit.

She is sneezing and has congestion, but I have been giving her antibiotics as suggested by a vet we were able to talk to on the phone. She seems to have a viral infection of some kind. She has had diarrhea since I found her, but today it seems to be looking more normal. She is not walking straight, is very weak, seems to not be able to focus on me with her eye, but at other times seems to be doing alright and is responsive. Sometimes even playful and curling up like a cat should.

The worst part is she had a violent seizure last night and has had 2 today, about 12 hours apart. They last for 20-40 seconds but they are extremely violent. She locks up and shakes and has saliva from her mouth and maybe some urine is let go. She is not drinking water but is getting wet food and did drink some milk mixed with water the first day. She is trying to use a litterbox when she can. On all accounts she seems to be getting better except for the seizures.

I am really scared and upset and I don't know what more I can do. There is no vet on the island. I am trying my best to talk to her and gently help her come out of the seizures but I can't stand to see her like this. Does anyone have suggestions about how I should handle her seizures, are they possibly caused by a viral infection? Do they hurt her or can she die from them? If she pulls through this, the people I'm staying with have offered to care for her. There is a cat cage here and I am debating if I should put her in there for the nights because she is sleeping so much anyways, it might be safer in there for her at night/when I am gone if she has an attack.

I love cats so much I hope she can make it. She is about 5 months old, grey with a few black stripes, and a white tip on her tail. I haven't named her yet. I want to get to know her first. I guess I just needed to tell the story, but if you have anything to say or any suggestions please feel free to leave them. Thanks for reading.

growler~GateKeeper
August 12th, 2007, 04:50 PM
Is there any way you can get her to a vet off the island? she really should be seen so they can do blood & urine testing to make sure everything is functioning normally. She should also be seen by a vet for the suspected viral infection. The seizures could be caused by poison among many other things so that also needs to be ruled out so they can be treated properly.

Thank you for taking in the wee one, please get her to a vet she needs to be drinking water :fingerscr :goodvibes:

chico2
August 12th, 2007, 05:00 PM
Thank you for caring about this poor little girl,I hope there is some way you can get her medical help,maybe take her home with you...
There were many times,while i was on vacations I had heartbreaking experiences with stray dogs/cats and I wish now,I had put in more of an effort of helping,especially a dog I fell in love with in Cuba,I did not know then how easily I could have brought her home to Canada.:sad:

krdahmer
August 12th, 2007, 05:44 PM
:sad: :pray:

rainbow
August 12th, 2007, 07:55 PM
Thanks for everything you've done to help this poor little girl. I agree with Growler and Chico though.....you must find a way to take her to the vet. Can you possibly secure the cat cage to your scooter? If the cage is a wire one you could fasten a towel or blanket over it so she wouldn't be as frightened. Good luck and keep us posted. :fingerscr :fingerscr :goodvibes:

CyberKitten
August 12th, 2007, 08:19 PM
Thank you so much already for all you have done for this kkitty.

I worry about the seizures and wonder if there is a vet in Greece you could get her to - and explain the situation. I do know several people who have brought home animals from foreign countries so it is possible. My cousin brought home a dog from Ireland he found around our old homestead. He had little difficulty is doing so. On several "tours" if I can call them that with Doctors without Borders, I have seen several animals find homes with people from various countries. I myself brought some kittens from Louisiana found in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina to another city there and later to Boston so my sister could place them in good homes. Tho I realize that is not a different country - tho there are some in the south who might disagree, lol - it was no easy task to rescue small kittens when i was suppose to be looking after children with cancer!

It does sound as tho she needs medical attention!! ada[ - I will research Greece and its cat policy

cpietra16
August 12th, 2007, 09:05 PM
If you came across her twice than you were meant to meet. I hope she'll make it..please keep us posted. You're an angel..:angel:

heyjude11
August 14th, 2007, 03:26 AM
Please give her water, not milk. Milk can cause diarrhea.
Thank you for taking care of this poor baby and best of luck.

badger
August 14th, 2007, 09:18 AM
Although the seizures may be related to the viral infection, prolonged heat exposure plus dehydration can also cause brain damage. We've had a high-profile case here in Canada of a dog left in a hot car (who survived) and my vet told me about a cat who went missing for four days in hot weather that they were struggling to save.
Given your situation, I would just keep her as cool and as quiet as possible. She must eat and drink as well. Yes, milk can cause diarrhea but if it is the only way to get her to drink, I'd give it to her anyway, as diluted as possible; diarrhea is the least of her problems right now. If you think she'd accept the crate and not thrash around, by all means use it.
I'd stay in touch with the vet, as well. As for taking her to where he is, unless he is close by I think it would do her as much harm as good to travel right now.
Thank you for giving this girl a chance. Hang in there and keep us posted. :fingerscr :fingerscr ::fingerscr

kubricks
August 14th, 2007, 06:44 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I have some good news. It turns out the seizures episodes were being caused/triggered by the antibiotic recommended by the vet. I noticed she was having them around 15 minutes after she ate food with medicine. She must have an allergy. Anyways the vet gave us the name of another and she took it today with no problems. Hopefully she does not have another episode. She is so much better now. Her congestion is nearly gone, she is seeing much better and is running around the suite jumping onto things and getting into everything. Her balance is pretty good although she is a bit shaky still. The best thing is now she is purring and rubbing her head on me when I sit down. She usually runs up and tries to climb up and rub my face. She is surprisingly affectionate. I'm so glad she is feeling better.

The vet is coming to the island this weekend so he will see her then but she has really come back from the brink. I am surprised by her strength.

She is still not drinking water from the dish, and I've stopped the milk since that first initial bowl. I am however mixing her wet food with water and she does take that all in. I will stop doing that shortly and hopefully she will take water from the bowl once her congestion and eye sight get a little better.

She will have a good home here as my father has 10 other stray cats in the house. I'm not sure my small apartment would be the best thing for her, but I will look into the possibility of bringing her to Canada. This was a possibility I had not even thought of before. Thanks everyone.
:cat:

rainbow
August 14th, 2007, 07:53 PM
Thanks for the update and glad to hear she is doing much better. Sending lots of good wishes for her continued recovery. :fingerscr :fingerscr :goodvibes:

sugarcatmom
August 14th, 2007, 08:17 PM
Yay, glad to hear that she's doing better! What a little love-bug.

Just wanted to make a comment on her water consumption: since she's eating wet food (which is way better for her than dry, by the way), she may not actually have a need to drink any other water. Cats are "designed" to get all of their hydration from the food they eat, and since canned food has a similar moisture content to the mice and birds they would otherwise be eating in the "wild", it's all good. My own cat (who's diabetic no less) hasn't had a drink out of his water bowl in over a year, since I've switched him to an all wet diet (and I used to measure his water intake daily, until it became obviously pointless).

Keep up the good work and let us know how she's progressing (have you named her yet?).

badger
August 15th, 2007, 01:01 AM
Yay! Seizures brought on by the antibiotics, I never would have guessed.
Do you think she might be pregnant? Does your dad manage to fix all those moggies or do they just... multiply. Either way, he's an :angel:
Do you have a camera with you? Any chance of a picture? If you miss the cat, we'll take some of that glorious scenery ;)

chico2
August 15th, 2007, 08:26 AM
Kubricks,thank's !!
It sounds like this little girl is doing ok,if this vet could spay her,it would make her life so much easier,even if you do not take her with you to Canada.
The lifespan of island cats is very short,as you probably know,spaying her would greatly improve her chances...
Thank's again,pics would be great!!!

Love4himies
August 15th, 2007, 08:37 AM
I am glad she is doing well, Chico is right, spaying would be so much healthier for her. You are an :angel: for helping this kitty.