Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Lucky & Penny's Summer Vacation..Warning: Picture Heavy

luckypenny
August 12th, 2007, 09:28 AM
As always, when you're having a great time, it goes by way too fast. Here are lots :o of pics of our almost 3 weeks in Miscou Island, NB.

They were both amazing traveling companions often sharing the too little space between the seats.

luckypenny
August 12th, 2007, 09:34 AM
"Catch me if you can."

wdawson
August 12th, 2007, 09:38 AM
great pics lucky.....i like the water pic....welcome back.

can i borrow your rv for a short trip to wisconsin:D

luckypenny
August 12th, 2007, 09:48 AM
This was our typical morning. After a coffee or two, I'd take Lucky and Penny to the beach and walk along it for several hours until they were ready to drop.

luckypenny
August 12th, 2007, 09:54 AM
Penny taking a morning nap under the picnic table.

luckypenny
August 12th, 2007, 10:05 AM
Heavily asleep in the camper.

Zoomies with their new friend, Dingo.

Rottielover
August 12th, 2007, 10:27 AM
wow, looks like fun was had by all, especially the dogs. LOL
Gorgeous pics by the way

luckypenny
August 12th, 2007, 10:34 AM
The Sandman kayaking for the first time.

Frolicking in the water.

poodletalk
August 12th, 2007, 10:37 AM
Beautiful pic's LP!

wdawson
August 12th, 2007, 10:40 AM
oh these pics keep getting better.....keep them coming.

poor hazel though:laughing:

luckypenny
August 12th, 2007, 10:41 AM
Penny swimming with her Wubba.

Lucky, "Can we stay forever Mom? I'm having such a good time."

luckypenny
August 12th, 2007, 11:02 AM
Rolling in dry seaweed.

Lucky chasing after low-flying birds.

luckypenny
August 12th, 2007, 11:07 AM
Something else has their attention now.

I think she's spotted them too.

luckypenny
August 12th, 2007, 11:15 AM
"We missed her, Pen."

A good shake.

luckypenny
August 12th, 2007, 11:17 AM
oh these pics keep getting better.....keep them coming.

Oh, I will :D . My computer's taking way too long though.

luckypenny
August 12th, 2007, 11:22 AM
"You better be gentle with my sister."

Eating??? Take a guess.

luckypenny
August 12th, 2007, 11:26 AM
Wild blueberries. They grow all over the island. Lucky would always stop to munch.

luckypenny
August 12th, 2007, 11:35 AM
Lucky would hide in the trees for 20 minutes or more and wouldn't come out until we said, "Bye-bye Lucky." Then he'd come charging out.

Break-time under the shade of the camper. Lucky's favorite spot every time we came back to the camp site.

luckypenny
August 12th, 2007, 11:47 AM
When we'd walk along the island's ATV trails, Lucky would often take off into the woods and come back ahead of us within a few minutes, scaring Penny so she'd always jump when he "popped out" at her.

A road less traveled. This is probably one of my favorite pics of Lucky. For a dog that really doesn't like to be walked on leash, moments like these were all his. Always a few yards ahead, he loved to lead the way.

luckypenny
August 12th, 2007, 11:49 AM
Ok, you can't say I didn't warn you all :laughing: . A few more to come.

hazelrunpack
August 12th, 2007, 11:54 AM
Limping along slowly with you, LP, and I think my modem might be reaching its limit! :frustrated:

Great pics so far, though! :thumbs up (Just in case I can't go any further! :o)

Looks like a great time! I really envy you people with water dogs--dogs in water are so much fun. :cloud9: (Setters are water wusses...he he)

:fingerscr that my modem can keep up with the rest! :D

luckypenny
August 12th, 2007, 12:01 PM
Penny with one of the freshly caught mackerels Hubby's cousin brought over. I had to turn my back while she ate it. She took her sweet time which totally made me lose my appetite :o . A new rule for Penny: "You will find an out of way spot rather than vomiting fresh fish at my feet :yuck: ."

Hubby, "Ok kids, I only have one bone. Promise you'll share?" From left to right: Dingo (Australian Shepherd/Lab), Princess (Shepherd/Lab), Penny, Lucky, And Reglisse (Newf mix).

luckypenny
August 12th, 2007, 12:05 PM
Limping along slowly with you, LP, and I think my modem might be reaching its limit! :frustrated:

If you can't see any more Hazelrunpack, I'll save them to Kodak Gallery and email you the link.

Penny was actually afraid of the water the first 2 days we were there. Lucky jumped right in but didn't attempt to swim until only a few days before we left.

Stacer
August 12th, 2007, 12:08 PM
Wow, looks like heaven on earth for those doggies, great pics LP.

hazelrunpack
August 12th, 2007, 12:09 PM
The ol' modem is still chuggin'! :thumbs up

Ewwwwww...did Penny really urpse up the fish afterward? :yuck: How charming! :p

I think if our dogs ever set foot in the water, they might try to swim...but they so hate to get their prissy pristine feet wet...unless it's with ooey-gooey mud, of course! :laughing:

luckypenny
August 12th, 2007, 12:14 PM
A perfect end to every perfect day. Penny going for a last swim as the sun set over the Gaspe Peninsula.

Mournful goodbye's. Dingo and the Sandman loving it up for the last time before Dingo and his parents went home. They are the nicest couple from Mississauga (originally from Poland) who camped next to us. They had only intended on staying 4 days but extended their holiday an extra week. They were so happy to find such a dog-friendly campsite and we've made plans to meet again next year at the same time for a 4-week stay.

hazelrunpack
August 12th, 2007, 12:17 PM
Wow! Four weeks of heaven! :cloud9: Too much for mere mortals! :D

I love the swimming at sunset pic!

luckypenny
August 12th, 2007, 12:19 PM
After the first week, Lucky and Penny had so much more energy than we did, so we decided to go cycling with them as well after lunch. We'd take them for an hour or so along the vacant ATV trails so they could have a good run.

No no Penny, this way.

luckypenny
August 12th, 2007, 12:28 PM
Finding a shady spot under some trees to rest during their run.

Packing it up. I swear they knew we were leaving. Can you see the look of forlorn on Lucky's face?

luckypenny
August 12th, 2007, 12:39 PM
That's it. Actually, there's about 700 more :crazy: but these are my favorite.

Penny's been nudging me and resting her head on my lap all day as if to ask, "How come you're not taking us to the beach, Mom?" Lucky has secluded himself in his crate since we arrived home last night and wouldn't come out to eat this morning. Poor babies. Hopefully they're just recuperating.

This truly was the best vacation we've ever had. I learned so much about each of our dogs, many things I never knew. I am just so pleased that they had a chance to be their happy selves with the least constraints possible. I can't wait til next summer!

hazelrunpack
August 12th, 2007, 12:57 PM
Awww...so sad to be leaving! :dog:

Now they have something exciting to look forward to next year!

I can't believe there was noone on the ATV trails. Sigh...ours are absolutely packed. :eek:

I think that's so great that you hit it off with your camping neighbors so well that you're going to meet up again next year! :thumbs up

jiorji
August 12th, 2007, 01:00 PM
i love the pics LP!! :thumbs up MORE MORE!!

growler~GateKeeper
August 12th, 2007, 02:54 PM
great pics LP :cloud9: I love the nose to nose sleeping in the camper & all the water pics, & Luckys' can we stay forever pic :lovestruck:

Both such :sad: faces when packing up.
Aww poor Lucky - he's sulking :cry:

glad you made plans for next summer :thumbs up , looks like it was lotsa fun - now you just hafta wait :laughing: http://bestsmileys.com/dogs/3.gif <-- Lucky & Penny pacing :D

Frenchy
August 12th, 2007, 03:25 PM
scaring Penny so she'd always jump when he "popped out" at her.

Wow LP ! I love all the pictures ! :thumbs up And the one where Lucky pops out of the woods , he really looks like a wolf !

Next year , I'm sending my pack with you :goodvibes: (well, someone has to stay here and work :sad: )

chico2
August 12th, 2007, 03:46 PM
Luckypenny,wow what a wonderful vacation you must have had,LOVE all the pics,want to see some more....absolute doggie-heaven:dog:

rainbow
August 12th, 2007, 06:05 PM
Awesome pics.....I loved them all. :lovestruck: That place is great.....Lucky and Penny must have thought they found paradise. :cloud9:

mummummum
August 12th, 2007, 06:21 PM
Wow ~ the dog's had a great vacation ! When does yours start ? :laughing:

luckypenny
August 12th, 2007, 07:54 PM
:laughing: Funny you should ask that Mx3. I was in bed by 10pm each night and sometimes earlier. I was so physically exhausted. But happy kids and happy dogs makes for one real happy Mom!

I would recommend this place to anyone looking for a camping holiday with their dogs. It's very inexpensive, so uncrowded (approx. 400-500 inhabitants) on an island about 18km long by 7km wide. It's just so sad that it couldn't be closer to home (approx. 10 hours drive if one's partner doesn't get lost :rolleyes: even with the simplest directions).

KingIsTheKing
August 12th, 2007, 08:18 PM
Wow those doggies look like they had so much funny... lucky puppies.

Hunter's_owner
August 13th, 2007, 06:39 AM
Awww LP those pics are great.

It looks like you had a wonderful time!!! Sounds like a very nice place.

I absolutely love that pic of Lucky in the road :cloud9: and I like the swimming at sunset one too., and .... well I could keep going. The pics are great:highfive:

luckypenny
August 13th, 2007, 12:26 PM
Just because some of you asked :o , here are some more :D .

Let's play follow the leader.

luckypenny
August 13th, 2007, 12:33 PM
And more of Dingo and the Sandman...these two were inseparable when Penny wasn't around to distract Dingo.

luckypenny
August 13th, 2007, 12:38 PM
One more of these two buddies. For a 1 1/2 year old Australian Shepherd/Lab, I don't think I've ever met such a relaxed, well-behaved dog. His owners said that he had always been like this ever since he was a wee puppy.

hazelrunpack
August 13th, 2007, 12:40 PM
You can see they really hit if off well! he he Were Penny and Lucky jealous that their boy was off playing with the neighbor all the time? :dog:

luckypenny
August 13th, 2007, 12:43 PM
Penny making waves.

A wee little starfish on a huge piece of seaweed Penny dragged out of the water.

luckypenny
August 13th, 2007, 01:01 PM
You can see they really hit if off well! he he Were Penny and Lucky jealous that their boy was off playing with the neighbor all the time? :dog:

No, not really. Dingo would come to say good morning and see if there was anything good for breakfast after which we left for the beach with Lucky and Penny. The Sandman would stay behind with Dingo and get in as much cuddle time as possible. He really cried hard when they left, poor sweetie. Dingo's the type of dog every young lad dreams of, I'm sure.

hazelrunpack
August 13th, 2007, 01:04 PM
He must be a very special dog. :dog: Is he with the people that you're going to meet up with next year? :fingerscr

luckypenny
August 13th, 2007, 01:13 PM
He certainly is special. Yes, this is the couple we're planning on meeting again next summer. They're so laid back (it's no wonder Dingo is as well) and funny, funny, funny. We shared such good laughs. Normally, I sorta like to be alone while camping but this certainly was an exception.

luckypenny
August 13th, 2007, 01:18 PM
Penny and Lucky wrestling.

Penny left to wrestle with her toy when Lucky had had enough.

hazelrunpack
August 13th, 2007, 01:22 PM
:laughing: Penny wingin' her toy around by herself! :dog:

I love it when they entertain themselves like that. Does she eventually drop it then and do zoomies around it like our guys do? :laughing: :cloud9:

luckypenny
August 13th, 2007, 01:30 PM
For a change, we would sometimes take different paths from the beach to return to the campsite. This is about an hour's walk away from the camper. Hubby with Lucky hiding in the grass. The church in the background was built in 1886 and was the one Hubby's mother had attended as a young girl and lady. She was born on the island as her grandparents were one of it's first settlers.

Penny in field near the church.

hazelrunpack
August 13th, 2007, 01:33 PM
Wow...so this place has family ties, as well!

The church looks so lonely out there with no towering trees nearby! :o

luckypenny
August 13th, 2007, 01:33 PM
Does she eventually drop it then and do zoomies around it like our guys do? :laughing: :cloud9:

No, when she tires of her toys, she just looks for another poor unsuspecting soul to jump :laughing: but sometimes can be a little :frustrated: as to how bullyish she can be.

jiorji
August 13th, 2007, 01:36 PM
I love the penny coming out of water shot...looks like some cool sea animal with a toy!!:laughing: :laughing:

luckypenny
August 13th, 2007, 01:43 PM
Lots of family ties. Hubby is related to about 50% of the island's families. He hadn't been there since he was about 12 and decided to return last summer after almost 38 years. He said that it has hardly changed at all with the exception of better roads and fewer people.

The church is quite lonely. Only 14 members and mass held once a month. Each year, membership dwindles as older folk pass on and as the younger people have little interest or have moved away in search of jobs. Quite sad actually especially after hearing stories of how the community used to be so close knit and revolved around church activities. Hubby's Mom (:rip: Mrs. Dee) would have been heartbroken.

luckypenny
August 13th, 2007, 01:57 PM
Ok, how about some more :D ?

Lucky in field.

Penny finally taking a break in the tall grass. We couldn't figure out how these two could just run like mad through this grass as it was so very sharp, often scratching up our legs if we weren't careful.

hazelrunpack
August 13th, 2007, 01:58 PM
Lots of family ties. Hubby is related to about 50% of the island's families. He hadn't been there since he was about 12 and decided to return last summer after almost 28 years. He said that it has hardly changed at all with the exception of better roads and fewer people.

The church is quite lonely. Only 14 members and mass held once a month. Each year, membership dwindles as older folk pass on and as the younger people have little interest or have moved away in search of jobs. Quite sad actually especially after hearing stories of how the community used to be so close knit and revolved around church activities. Hubby's Mom (:rip: Mrs. Dee) would have been heartbroken.

OMG--I think I've just found the place I want to retire to!!!!! :eek: It sounds absolutely perfect!:cloud9:

luckypenny
August 13th, 2007, 02:08 PM
Penny had just discovered she can dig holes on the beach (we were quite relieved she had found something other to do than search out snacks in forms of dead shellfish and dehydrated seagull remnants :yuck: ). Dingo would always stand behind calmly watching her while the sand flew in his face :laughing: .

And finally, another sunset picture. Lucky watching on as Penny went for her nightly swim.

rainbow
August 13th, 2007, 03:23 PM
That last picture is awesome. :cloud9: And, I love the pics of Dingo and the Sandman. :lovestruck:

What a beautiful, beautiful place that is. :cloud9: :cloud9:

Smiley14
August 13th, 2007, 03:47 PM
Oh, LP, what an amazing vacation!!! It looks like a gorgeous place to be! What an awesome adventure for them! :cloud9:

Hunter's_owner
August 14th, 2007, 07:56 AM
The pictures are amazing!!!! Looks like a wonderful place to vacation:cloud9:

luckypenny
August 14th, 2007, 08:00 AM
The pictures are amazing!!!! Looks like a wonderful place to vacation:cloud9:

Thanks. Wouldn't a Pets.ca camping meet-up next summer be grand in a place like that?

Hunter's_owner
August 14th, 2007, 08:08 AM
Oh it really would!:highfive:

luckypenny
August 14th, 2007, 08:20 AM
Something to keep in mind :goodvibes: <-----even more excited now. What a blast it would be! This campground owners don't mind dogs at all. Reglisse, the large Newf mix is theirs. As long as the dogs are fairly social and kept on a leash when there are other campers without dogs around. Every morning before 7 or so, all the dogs would be let loose to get some morning play and exercise. It was so cool! Everywhere else, dogs are not required to be on leash but I would assume owners would have to use their better judgement depending on where they were. We had to leash Penny a little more seeing she's not always the friendliest around strangers nor really hyper dogs but Lucky was almost free the entire time with the exception if I was a little too busy to keep an eye on him. He's turned out to be the most social dog! I couldn't believe this was our anxious/fearful dog! This vacation was the best therapy for him.

Hunter's_owner
August 14th, 2007, 08:43 AM
That sounds soooo great for Lucky and Penny:cloud9: Sounds like a dog's paradise!!!

Smiley14
August 14th, 2007, 03:32 PM
Something to keep in mind :goodvibes: <-----even more excited now. What a blast it would be! This campground owners don't mind dogs at all. Reglisse, the large Newf mix is theirs. As long as the dogs are fairly social and kept on a leash when there are other campers without dogs around. Every morning before 7 or so, all the dogs would be let loose to get some morning play and exercise. It was so cool! Everywhere else, dogs are not required to be on leash but I would assume owners would have to use their better judgement depending on where they were. We had to leash Penny a little more seeing she's not always the friendliest around strangers nor really hyper dogs but Lucky was almost free the entire time with the exception if I was a little too busy to keep an eye on him. He's turned out to be the most social dog! I couldn't believe this was our anxious/fearful dog! This vacation was the best therapy for him.

Ohh, if we could plan far enough in advance, I'd try to be there! :) Although I'd have to drive, don't think I can fit Petey in the cabin on a plane. LOL!

hazelrunpack
August 14th, 2007, 10:24 PM
Ohh, if we could plan far enough in advance, I'd try to be there! :) Although I'd have to drive, don't think I can fit Petey in the cabin on a plane. LOL!

I'll pick you up in the rented RV :thumbs up ...but I'm not gonna use either branch of the I35! :eek:

TeriM
August 29th, 2007, 02:07 AM
Those are all awesome pictures LP :cloud9: . My favorites are Penny rolling in the seaweed and the shot of Lucky asking to stay forever :lovestruck: . Looks like an amazing holiday :) .