Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What happened

attwood
August 12th, 2007, 08:48 AM
Last Sunday I lost my precious 10yr old Keeshond Kaylee from suspected liver disease. She started vomitting (only once or twice) and had diarrhea for a couple of days but of more concern seemed to be getting very weak. On Friday, the vet gave me antibiotics for a bladder infection which then increased the vomitting and he ran blood tests. When he called back he said he had never seen liver enzemes so high in a dog and we scheduled an ultrasouind for that Wednesday. Sunday at 4 am Kaylee was breathing so hard it woke me up. I rushed her to the animal hospital where she was immediately put on oxygen. Her heart was racing and her belly was rigid and swollen. I think all her organs were shutting down and that her liver and heart were failing. The change in her condition in 48 hours was so fast I am having trouble coming to terms with this. Because her clinical signs were so severe and she was rapidly deteriorating we choose to let her go. I am heartbroken and wonder if any of you know if this sounds like liver cancer?

mummummum
August 12th, 2007, 11:17 AM
:grouphug: I'm so very sorry for your loss. Probably the only way you would know her cause of death now would be through a necropsy. It's only natural for you to be heartbroken ~ it all happened so fast. In times your pain will lessen and you will be able to cherish your memories of the ten wonderful years you shared together ~ Kaylee was lucky to have found you, and you her :candle:

hazelrunpack
August 12th, 2007, 01:50 PM
:grouphug: It's so hard, especially when it happens so fast. I'm so sorry for your loss. :grouphug:

She knew you loved her, though. Ten years of loving is a great gift to give! And mummummum is right--the happy memories will eventually heal over the sad ones.

Rest in peace, Kaylee. :candle:

Dr Lee
August 12th, 2007, 02:05 PM
It sounds like there was a severe hepatopathy (liver disease) of some type - whether it be some form of liver cancer, infection, immune disease, inflammatory condition is hard to say without 'dog autopsy' (necropsy). I think an important aspect of liver disease is that it is rarely painful. The fact that it all happened fast is hard to deal with but can be a blessing in so far as she did not have to go through a prolonged deterioration. It is never easy to lose a family member... I am very sorry for your loss. It is apparent that she was well loved.

clm
August 12th, 2007, 03:42 PM
We lost our first Keeshond, Freddie to pancreatic cancer just before his 10th birthday. Yogi our second Keeshond had a huge tumor on his liver and died before his 11th birdthday. Both had symptoms very similar to your kees. It was sudden and no decision to be made either time. There was no choice. I'm so sorry you lost her. My first 2 had the same blood lines and were distantly related. The 2 puppies I have now are from completely different blood lines, so I'm hoping for longer lives with these 2.

Cindy

growler~GateKeeper
August 12th, 2007, 04:00 PM
I'm sorry for your loss :sad: :candle: :rip: :angel: Kaylee

you made the right choice for her in her condition :grouphug:

rainbow
August 12th, 2007, 07:10 PM
I am so sorry for your loss. :grouphug: As previously mentioned the only way of knowing is by having an an autopsy done. You did the right thing letting her go.....my deepest condolences to you. :grouphug: :candle:

attwood
August 13th, 2007, 08:42 AM
Thank you all so much for all your kind words and messages of condolence. It was comforting to read all your messages. I made the decision not to have an atopsy because she had several surgeries in her 10 years and I didn't want her to go through it anymore - obviously an emotionally based decision, but I wanted her to rest in peace. Kaylee came to me about a year after the murder of my 19 year old daughter and healed a place in my heart that nothing else did. I am lucky to have had her for those 10 beautiful years and my memories of her are a great comfort. Thanks again everyone, what a wonderful site this is.

Kaylee's mom

mummummum
August 13th, 2007, 08:54 AM
You're very gracious ~ and you know, you are most welcome to stay. :grouphug:

Love4himies
August 13th, 2007, 09:48 AM
So sorry for your losses :grouphug: . Your kaylee is now running free with your beloved daughter and keeping her company.