Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

dog is going in circles acting high on drugs

buncen
August 12th, 2007, 01:53 AM
Hi, About 4 months ago my 8 yr old chihuahua got an severe ear infection. The vet treated him and he seemed fine. Lately he has been acting strangley. almost nightly (for the past week) he starts acting like he is high on drugs, he is jumpy, his leg twitch, his ears are back against his head, bulging eyes, he wont lay stll and the worst is he starts going in circles until I have to physically stop him at which point he is panting badly but the minute I let him go he starts again. I am afraid he will have a heart attack so I give hi a pill.. The vet gave me tranqualizers on the last visit because he was doing the "circle" thing. he said it is because he is in pain.
Ive given him a 1/2 pill almost everynight this last week to stop this behavior. But I feel it is masking the problem and not addressing it.
Have you ever hear of such behavior in a dog and any suggestions on how to stop it? (my vet will be back in 4 days and then I will take him again) but until then anysuggestions???

erykah1310
August 12th, 2007, 02:38 AM
I'd say take him to another vet... seems like the most logical answer.
Obviously your dog is not well and needs to be seen by a vet, and I think you need a second opinion as to why this behaviour is happening in the first place.

growler~GateKeeper
August 12th, 2007, 02:40 AM
I would get a second opinion ASAP, you are correct the tranqs are doing nothing to treat whatever is causing the problem to begin with. He needs to be properly diagnosed to be correctly treated.

rainbow
August 12th, 2007, 02:50 AM
Your vet says he is doing this because he's in pain so why doesn't your vet do some tests to find out why your dog is in pain? :eek: I would definitely find another vet. Good luck ad keep us posted. :fingerscr

mummummum
August 12th, 2007, 10:39 PM
Tranquilizers will not alleviate your dog's pain, they will only dull his concern about the pain. This could be quite serious (as in: brain tumour, serious) a second Vet's opinion would be where I would be running to, not walking. Let us know how you make out.

buncen
August 13th, 2007, 11:36 PM
I want to take this opportunity to thank all the wonderful, caring people who responded to my question. I took everyones advice and I have an appointment tomorrow with a different vet!! Hopefully this time the problem will be solved. I will let everyone know the results. I thank you and my sammy so-so pants (my baby) thank you all!!! Thanks again!!!

luckypenny
August 13th, 2007, 11:43 PM
Please keep us posted after your vet visit. :fingerscr that the new vet can get you more answers and solutions to your dog's pain.

growler~GateKeeper
August 14th, 2007, 02:04 AM
Also have your vet check for Hypothyroidism

Quote from Veterinary Partner.com:

There are many symptoms some incl:
Central Nervous System - may represent abnormal electrical conduction within nerves; however, vascular disease has been found in hypothyroid dogs with central nervous system signs. Clinical signs have involved ataxia (drunken gait), hemiparesis (weakness in front and back legs on the same side of the body), hypermetria (inappropriate measurement of steps), head tilt, circling and cranial nerve abnormalities. It may take several months of therapy to see a response. Coma from myxedema in the brain's tissues is a rare possibility but has been known to occur.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=461

Good luck :fingerscr keep us updated

rainbow
August 14th, 2007, 02:33 AM
That is a good suggestion Growler gave you. Chronic ear infections can be another sign of hypothyroidism. Good luck at the vet tomorrow and let us know the outcome. :fingerscr :goodvibes: