Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Excessive drinking and urinating

Raggles
August 11th, 2007, 07:21 PM
Hi everyone,

I've been reading these forums for a while as a guest but now I have a problem with my pup and hope somebody may have some new ideas.

Over the past few days, my six-month-old male neutered schnoodle - who has been housebroken for nearly three months - has begun drinking excessive amounts of water and urinating excessively, sometimes in the house. The vet did a urine analysis and said the urine was not concentrated and my pup had chronic renal failure. She said she was sorry. I broke down with the shock of the impending death of my beloved pet. Only then did she decide to take blood tests.

The next day she phoned to tell me that my pup's kidneys were ok; indeed, the blood tests showed no irregularities for anything (electrolytes, sodium, potassium, chlorine, diabetes, pancreatitis, anemia, kidney function, etc.) She has now suggested it may be a liver shunt and we are waiting for the results from a bile test. The thing is, my pup has NO other symptoms other than the increased drinking and urinating. I feel like the vet is attempting to make the symptoms fit the illness rather than fully examining and assessing the dog.

Do you have any suggestions as to what it could be, or what I could try? The only other thing I can think to add - which may or may not be relevant - is that he sneezes a lot when playing with the cat and has begun to scratch his head/ears/throat a lot. If he's allergic to the cat, could that have any effect on his drinking habits?

hazelrunpack
August 11th, 2007, 07:36 PM
Sorry to hear that your pup is having problems, Raggles. :grouphug:

I know that if my gut was telling me there was something "off" in a diagnosis, I'd sure go get a second opinion. Is there another vet you can consult? Perhaps they'll only confirm what the first vet thinks, but at least you'd know that you're on the right track. :thumbs up

Is it hot where you are? Our boy, Cole, often drinks more when it's very hot (which it is) and then has to go out more often. It might be as simple as that. :shrug: But I'd get a second opinion just to set my heart at ease!

Good luck, Raggles! :fingerscr Please keep us posted!

And welcome to pets.ca!

Raggles
August 11th, 2007, 07:50 PM
Hi Hazel,

Yes, I think I will try the other vet in town - I'm in a small town, there's only one other vet office.

As for the temperature, I'd thought about that. We did have 2 or 3 weeks of 100 degrees, but it dropped to around 75 a few days before he began drinking heavily... and, besides, he's inside a cool house most of the time.

hazelrunpack
August 11th, 2007, 10:01 PM
Definitely something that should be checked out, then. We'll be thinking of you! :fingerscr :goodvibes: Please keep us updated, okay?

Tommysmom
August 11th, 2007, 10:43 PM
I would definitely get a second opinion if you have doubts. You should have the bile acid test results back very soon, right? My first vet thought my dog had a liver shunt too, I know how scary that thought is. I didn't think drinking/urinating was a symptom of that though, although it could be, it just wasn't the symptom my dog was presenting at the time. The major symptom that made my vet think it was a shunt was a problem eating and being very ill after eating, he never asked any questions whatsoever about drinking. According to my current vet, liver shunts are not very common at all - he says he sees maybe 1-2 of them a year, and he has an incredibly busy practice. And many cases are treated successfully with surgery if it does turn out to be that. But I do agree, it seems a bit odd that the vet suggested such a rare condition when increased urination is a sign of so many different things.

Good luck with the test, let us know what happens! No matter what though, I'd be paying a visit to the other vet office there just to be sure. We'll keep our fingers (and paws!:pawprint: :pawprint: ) crossed for you!

punkyamberlea
August 11th, 2007, 11:16 PM
Has your little one had any noticable weight gain- could be a thyroid issue? many dogs can live long and happy lives with a liver slint. I would go to another vet if you dont feel great about this one

mummummum
August 12th, 2007, 09:28 PM
...Yes, I think I will try the other vet in town - I'm in a small town, there's only one other vet office...

Yup definitely something in that diagnosis that warrants seeing another Vet for another urinalysis. Let us know how you make out !

golden girl
August 19th, 2007, 10:52 PM
I had a samoyed many years ago who was Diabetic, he was not diagnosed with his first blood test. His symptoms were drinking alot, urinating alot, and dry itchy skin. He also had a few accidents in the house prior to his diagnosis at 3 years old. When he did pee on my hard floor and it dried you could feel the sugar crystals in it. He went on insulin and I had him for almost 10 more years. I would definately get a second opinion.. Good Luck

rainbow
August 20th, 2007, 12:55 AM
Did you get a second opinion yet? :fingerscr