Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sleepy Eddie

twruble
August 11th, 2007, 02:38 PM
Hi guys.

It seemed for the most part that Eddie jumped back from his giardi/coccidia ordeal. Very spunky and energetic however the last two days he has been wanting to do nothing but sleep. He will eat but turns his nose up at water. If we coax him to play he will, tail wagging and so forth yet within minutes all he wants to do is curl up again in his bed and sleep. Poops right now are very firm. Follow up appt with vet tomorrow afternoon but I must confess that I am worried about him. Any insight?

growler~GateKeeper
August 12th, 2007, 11:14 PM
I'm glad he's bouncing back. Any tests done recently for diabetes/low sugar/low insulin? I know it can be common in the wee chi.

BTW He is so cute :cloud9:

twruble
August 13th, 2007, 08:57 AM
He was supposed to go for his 12 week booster yesterday but we held off because of his recent blah behavior. Vet didn't know what to tell me. A full blood panel was ordered along with urine and fecal parasite. They will call me this afternoon with the results.

I think I may have figured out the under lying problem though. 2 hours spent on the internet and all symptoms led back to hypoglycemia. This does make sense as I have been cutting his feedings back (from every 2-3hrs to 4-5hrs)in an effort to stop the 10+ soft poops a day. It definitely worked however I may have hurt him out of ignorance.

The symptoms, depression, not wanting to eat/drink, lack of energy, only wanting to sleep, combined with the odd 10 min bout of energy and playfullness. It seemed like he would be himself and play/kiss/wag tail, only to wiped out within a few minutes and sulking back to his bed.

If his sugars were very low then the vicious cycle begins. Coax him to eat, energy comes back, we play because we are so happy he is feeling better, those reserves are once again depleted and voila - back to low sugars and exhaustion.

Vet yesterday mentioned something about a liver shunt. I will wait to hear back from them but think I may have figured this out.

Remedy - maintain sugars through consistent and smaller meals, nutri-cal, rest and limited handling to avoid exhaustion.

This in itself will lead to a different problem - unspoiling this little princess. He is so accustomed to us fawning over him and letting him sleep with us during the past 4 days (read sick baby again... keep him close) that efforts to put him in his once comfy and adequate kennel last night resulted in an hour+ of crying.

I have to tell you that in the past 19 days of owning EddieI have learned ALOT about these delicate monsters. Besides $1900 in vet bills I have discovered that we really did not get much pertinent information from the breeder that was helpful and that research, research, research is warranted well ahead of time before picking up your new pet. My "Chihuahuas For Dummies" book has some useful info but when it comes to health and concerns, the net sure offers forth a better idea of what you are walking into.

Keeping my fingers crossed that my diagnosis of hypoglcemia is correct and that I am not contacted today with tests results which show a multitude of health issues. So far he has cost us $100 a day for each day of ownership. Crazy!

Again, pretty lucky that he is so cute and that I am such a softy. Hopefully we have clear sailing after this and no more health problems.

mummummum
August 13th, 2007, 11:23 AM
He's lucky he has such a wonderful Mummy and Daddy is what he is ! Did your Vet offer you some suggestions on how to get him to drink more ? Dehydration can be problem for puppies that young. I'm not sure what you are feeding right now, but you could soften his food with water, add canned holistic food to his diet or add low/no sodium/ low fat beef or chicken broth (preferably home-made) to his water. :fingerscr :goodvibes: that his lethargy is just secondary to his recovery from the giardia and coccidia.

twruble
August 15th, 2007, 01:27 PM
All the tests came back negative - everything looked good - yet the vet suggested we run another for the liver shunt. I decided to use mother's intuition and decline. Hopefully it works with pets too and not just kids.

I honestly believe now that low blood sugar is what caused the lethargy and am going to pass on another expensive test unless I see something that concerns me. As long as Eddie eats and gets adequate rest, he is "himself". This though leads me to another question which I will post in the food forum. What do I feed a very finicky chi in an effort to maitain the appropriate levels?

(No more vet bills... no more vet bills... no more vet bills.... HA!HA!)