Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

how often to feed cats ?

Meowzee
August 11th, 2007, 02:25 PM
well i am sure they wont end up like
Biggest Cat (http://biggest-cat.freehostia.com)....but we just got two kittens and both eat basically constantly.

Eat...p**p, sleep, play.

The one we got today (8 weeks old) look even a bit chubby, i guess the former owners fed him well.

How often do you feed your kittens ?

Btw. ours always go there and eat a bit...but never eat up. They go back and forth over the day as it seems.

cheers

M.

clm
August 11th, 2007, 02:51 PM
Congrats on your new kittens. Lets see some pics!
Kittens need to eat a lot and yes, sleep, poop, play, sleep, lots of sleep is what they do when that small.
Make sure you get them to the vet and take a stool sample to see if they need to be dewormed as well.
I've always fed my kittens and cats wet food twice a day, 3 times a day on the weekends and dry food left out all the time, if you have one that develops a weight problem, then you'll have to schedule feed.

Cindy

rainbow
August 11th, 2007, 04:55 PM
I feed the same way Cindy does. Also hope you've taken them to the vet for their first checkup/vaccinations/deworming and are going to have them spayed/neutered.

And, yes, pictures please. :D

Longblades
August 11th, 2007, 05:00 PM
Many cats like to nibble off and on so what you are doing and clm's schedule of dry always available and wet on schedule would both work. I fed my kittens wet four times a day and gradually worked kibble into it. And weaned off to two times a day. I also made sure to vary the food so as not to end up with a picky eater. A fried egg now and then, some real tuna etc. Old feeding rules said one food all the time but now most authorities suggest variety, I found.

One is chubby? A chubby kitten is unusual, they are so full of energy they use up all their calories, hence the constant eating. If it is a paunchy sort of chubby I would think about worms. Vet check for new kitten in your house is probably on the agenda anyway though?

Meowzee
August 12th, 2007, 04:19 PM
they are de-wormed already..although one needs a re-do as i was told by the lady.

Btw. the two were fighting yesterday and we really thought the black one will kill the one we got a few days later. She was screaming and hissing.

ALL OF A SUDDEN....from one hour to the other they were playing with each other (not serious anymore)...and all of a sudden they sleep next to each other, the bad one now has her head on him and they're licking each other....etc...etc...its a fricking miracle :)

Yesterday we still thought the female goes nuts....now..lemme see if i can put a pic up...

http://home.comcast.net/~gwrauh1/kittens.jpg

yep..that pic is a calendar's worthy :)

clm
August 12th, 2007, 04:48 PM
They're adorable.
Don't worry about the fighting. I have 2 sisters who have fought since the day I brought them home at 8 weeks old. They don't seem to like each other a whole lot sometimes and yet they like to know where each other is at all times.

Cindy

growler~GateKeeper
August 12th, 2007, 04:54 PM
So cute :lovestruck: Yeah the fighting is what kittens do, if it gets to the really scary screaming you can try to distracted them from each other by tossing a toy nearby - not at them but past them :D

Love4himies
August 12th, 2007, 08:06 PM
They are so flipping cute!

I fed my kittens 3 to 4 times a day, wet, and left kibble out for them to munch on between meals. They need lots of food and their playing will keep the weight off. At 6 months I would start to wean them down to 2 times a day wet mixed with kibble. Wet is important for cats as they don't drink a lot of water and this ensures they are getting enough fluids.

rainbow
August 12th, 2007, 08:14 PM
OMG....look at those innocent little faces :angel: .....total cuteness. :cloud9:

Longblades
August 12th, 2007, 09:45 PM
Great pics. Wish mine would pose like that.