Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Tracker

deerclan
May 14th, 2004, 09:25 PM
I wasn't sure if this was the right board to put this on but what happen to My Tracker should be open to discussion.So here goes!

This is a sad time for my family and I, Wednesday I had to put Tracker down,
Tracker had managed to get out through the front gate and get hit by car.

At first my wife and I thought Tracker had got hung up on the fence and just cut himself and hyper extended the one leg but after the x-rays the Vet said he was hit by a car.

This happened early morning when I was at work ,My wife called me crying to say Tracker was favoring his one leg and that his other leg had a deep gash and wasn’t sure what happened. I rushed home and took Tracker to the vets had some x-rays done and found that the one leg was shattered and severe internal damage, The vet advised me that it would be best for me to put Tracker to sleep.

We are in shock over this and the kids keep asking me when Tracker is coming home, I keep asking myself why would someone after hitting a dog just drive away and not atleast follow Tracker home to say he or she was sorry. I look at this now and say to myself that if someone could do this to a dog then they could do this to a human child or adult.

Every one Take Care and I will all see you soon on the discussion board

DeerClan

daisy18216
May 14th, 2004, 10:12 PM
I'm soo very sorry to hear about Tracker. :(

I send my condolences to you and your family.

There are alot of careless, heartless people out there. They don't realize or just don't want to take responsiblity for their actions. :mad:

How young are your children??

I think the person who hit Tracker should of at least call the police and gave them your dogs license number and found out who you are and contacted you. but again it was a stupid person that did this.

Did you write a letter to the newspaper asking if anyone saw it or if the person who did it would come forward? I know the person probably won't, but if you let them know that the person who hit Tracker took away a family pet, maybe just maybe the guilty person will come forward and admit their guilt. I know that won't change things, but it might bring closure to all of you.

I never went through anything like this and I hope I never do.

Again, I send my condolences.

Karin
May 14th, 2004, 10:51 PM
I am so very sorry ..words cannot sum up losing a family member..

mona_b
May 14th, 2004, 10:54 PM
(((((((((deerclan and family))))))))))))))

I am SOOOO very sorry for your loss.My heart goes out to you and your family......I know you are all going through a hard time right now.We are here for you.Tracker knew he was well loved.Just remember that.It will take time for you and your family.He was a sweetie.We all enjoyed seeing his pics..

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

There are many very cruel,heartless people out in this world.And yes,there are hit and runs also.

Once again,I am SOOOOO very sorry. :(

Please give the kids and extra hug for me.

chico2
May 14th, 2004, 11:33 PM
Jeff and family,I read somewhere the saying that went something like this"Don't cry because I am gone,smile because I was there".
It stayed in my mind,because our animals give us soo much joy and the hardest thing is when we have to say good-bye.
Tracker,who let Mercedes share his food,who went through screen-doors,certainly gave us many smiles,he must have been an exceptional dog and we'll miss the stories about him,so sorry for your loss :(

Lucky Rescue
May 15th, 2004, 12:23 AM
So sorry to hear this.:( It's really heartbreaking.

Luba
May 15th, 2004, 09:04 AM
Tracker is probably running his little heart out right now, panting..tonge hanging out...in full pointer form... I can just see him 'watch me daddy watch me' No fences, no collars, no CARS, no stupid people. Just his spirit, free and wild!

Your souls will forever be bound together. I'm sure he may just pay you a little visit to let you know he's okay ;)

As for the person who hit Tracker, I seen that happen once for my very eyes on busy busy Kingston Road (6 lanes of traffic). A little collie x dog following his family (kids) to school. The kids thought if they just told him to go home he would. BUT when they crossed the road he went after them.
I'll never forget that image and the rotten s.o.b kept going!!

I know how close you've become to Tracker, how much you and your family have meant to him and he to you! He was a beautiful soul!

(((hugs)))

Luba

Catt31
May 15th, 2004, 11:33 AM
I am sooo sorry to hear about Tracker!!! It is never easy losing a family member, especially when it was senseless!! My heart goes out to you!! I hope whoever did this to him will rot in hell!!! :mad:

Lucky Rescue
May 15th, 2004, 01:51 PM
Don't want to be argumentative, but
Why didn't you all jump on Deerclan for allowing the dog on the street?

Well, I think we all know that Deerclan is a responsible pet owner, and a gate can be left open accidentally by even the most vigilant person because no one is perfect.

It isn't that we jump on anyone "new". But when the first post is (for example) on how someone is letting their cat have one litter after another because he can dump the kittens at the pet store, then yes, it does make ME a little irate.

Or if someone's first post is how his dog is suffering and/or dying, but he/she won't take it to the vet and then gets angry because we can't diagnose and cure it over the net, yeah - that's kinda galling because that is blatant abuse.

Luba
May 15th, 2004, 02:10 PM
Laura you are certainly entitled to your opinion regarding each and every post and each and every topic posted here.

Deerclan being a senior member has nothing to do with our support for him.
He is NOT a neglectful or irresponsible individual.

It's irrelevant to point out that streets are made for cars, we aren't idiots and neither is he. I am a responsible pet owner and MY dogs over the years have gotten free of my yard more then once. Your statement of 'allowing' Tracker to be on the street is not factual. He had NOT allowed Tracker to be on the street.

Tracker was neutered, tagged and fenced in a yard with a gate that just so happened to have been insecure. He does not share his yard with others and therefore was under the impression the gate was secure.

Now if he had posted this below can you not see the difference? Every situation is unique within itself.

My non neutered dog who we allow to roam free because he loves his freedom was hit by a car and we had to have him PTS.

chico2
May 15th, 2004, 02:11 PM
Yes,we know Deer-Clan is a responsible owner,but unfortunately gates are sometimes accidentally left un-latched and dogs get out.
Just this week I was out looking for a Rottweiler(neighbor across the street)who did exactly the same thing,luckily I saw him and we got him,just before he was going onto a main road and he's now home safe with a pad-lock on the gate.
As for the Chinese exchange student,I don't think anyone was rude to her,I sympathize,but you do not get a puppy knowing you are not going to be around,yes,that is irresponsible.
If she does not find anyone,the puppy will more than likely end up in a shelter.
Boarding for 3 month would cost a fortune.
I am 60yrs old,one of the reasons I do not plan on getting more than my 3 cats,is because cats can live for up to 20 yrs,but I probably will not.
Dogs/cats are not a short term commitment but a responsability you have until the end of their days.

Dee_petlover
May 15th, 2004, 06:00 PM
So sorry to hear about your loss. We had a similar situation with a dog we owned once who got hit by a car after escaping our yard, and we just recently one of our dogs due to illness, so I can sympathize with how heartbreaking this is.

My deepest sympathies to you and your family.

Lucky Rescue
May 15th, 2004, 07:09 PM
Oh, sorry to hear that Dee!:(

Karin
May 15th, 2004, 07:23 PM
First of all let me say I am very sorry to hear about Tracker. And the rest of this post is not directed to you Deerclan.

I have been bitting my tongue for weeks now... This is the first time I have logged into these boards for a very long time because I think that you people here are very rude to people that are new. Now if they are a poster that has been here a while you are very nice and supportive.

I have been watching what you all tell people about how this person should not have a dog or this person is irresposible. First let me say it is not up to you (thank god) who may have a pet. Second who says you are the most resposible person?

I feel sorry for the exchange student that is trying to go home to see her family. If I lived closer to her I would have taken her pup for as long as she needed. Sometimes stuff comes up. How do you know that their isnt a family member dieing or something... maybe her mom is ill. Even if she isn't ill... maybe she just wants to visit. But instead of helping her you bash her until she leaves like so many new posters do. Why didn't you all jump on Deerclan for allowing the dog on the street? I will tell you why... that person is a "senior member" a good bud... Streets are made for cars.... not pets and children. I feel for Deerclan and wish that it wouldnt have happened. But it did and I hope others will learn to keep pets of all sizes off the streets where cars belong... it isnt a stupid person that hit the dog. The person in the car had every right to be on the road. Now if the person in the car swerved to hit the dog... then that person should be hit by a car themselves.

Accidents can happen. Stupidity is not an accident nor an excuse. Maybe you should read and learn more about the people involved before you judge.

Lucky Rescue
May 15th, 2004, 08:32 PM
I just have respond once more....Laura, that is absolutely untrue.

If you browse the "Ask the Vet" section, you will see many first time posters.

The ones who are obviously responsible owners are never jumped on and I doubt you can find one example of this happening. There may be, but I cannot find one.

Luba
May 15th, 2004, 08:33 PM
As I said before:

Tracker was neutered, tagged and fenced in a yard with a gate that just so happened to have been insecure. He does not share his yard with others and therefore was under the impression the gate was secure.

Now if he had posted this below can you not see the difference? Every situation is unique within itself.

My non neutered dog who we allow to roam free because he loves his freedom was hit by a car and we had to have him PTS.

Bill & Bob
May 15th, 2004, 09:09 PM
Well, I was a new poster here not too long ago and I never felt like I got jumped all over. As well, I asked some pretty stupid questions as well looking back. I have seen some pack mentallity on here, as I've said before. I tend to see it directed to people who are making obviously negligent (my opinion, not to be associated with others) decisions. I don't necessarily agree with it, or the issues represented in it, and that's why I try and make my own assertions, and I could take responsibility for ALL of them myself.
And as far as ALL people on here jumping on people with two feet, try and use a little less inclusive language. Just a suggestion.

Bill & Bob
May 15th, 2004, 09:11 PM
Yeah, that one did get kind of ugly.

Luba
May 15th, 2004, 09:15 PM
I would actually like to ask for this discussion...not pertaining to Tracker and out of respect for deerclan...be moved to a new thread. Please! If you want to continue it please do but lets just let this thread have some dignity, considering whats happened to deerclan and his family.
Thank you!

Bill & Bob
May 15th, 2004, 09:18 PM
There ya go, rational thought kicking in once again. Good idea. I wouldn't want a thread I started as a result of something like that to turn into a slinging fest. Let's move on.

Lucky Rescue
May 15th, 2004, 09:19 PM
Agree Luba....Laura, I will respond to your post under a new thread, with your name in the subject!

Bill & Bob
May 15th, 2004, 09:21 PM
I just noticed there is now an OFF TOPIC FORUM! Either I've been blind for a while or we're seeing democracy in action. I suggest that perhaps this head in that direction.

Princesss04
May 17th, 2004, 10:33 AM
[QUOTE=LuckyRescue]Don't want to be argumentative, but

It isn't that we jump on anyone "new".

They are not jumping on anyone that is new! I am new ( I have only been on for a few weeks) and they have never jumped on me or any of my questions. It is just some people never get it and will never listen. The people are very helpful on this board if you will shut up and let them be! :mad:

deerclan
May 17th, 2004, 07:39 PM
Hi everyone!

I would like to thank everyone for their kind words,Your words have eased the pain of loosing my best friend Tracker. I still get up looking to see if he is on his blanket beside my bed and then i remember Tracker is gone.
My kids miss the fact that Tracker doesn't come see them and check up on them at bed time.Im sure over time they will come to terms that he's gone.

As to the question was the gate secure? "Yes It was when i went to bed"
If anyone knows or owns shorthair pointers They will tell you they are escape artists and will go through great lengths to get out.

If there are any persons who feel i could have done more to prevent this you are entitled to your opinion and i respect that so please feel free to state your opinion.

Everyone have a great day/evening

DeerClan

Karin
May 17th, 2004, 07:58 PM
Deerclan, I feel a need to apologize for your thread about Tracker being hijacked.
I replied to a hijacker and I ashamed of it.
For the memory of Tracker I am so very sorry.
You, your family and Tracker are still in my thoughts and prayers.

wAggie
May 17th, 2004, 08:13 PM
yes... deerclan, they are escape artists...

When Chocolate was younger, he managed to undo his chain in the backyard and run out onto Danforth/Greenwood (busy main street!) @ 8:30AM during rush hour!! OMG, the BUS honked at him, it was horror...

I feel for you and your family. You are incredibly brave for making the decision you have made.

Try to keep your heart at ease, you know Tracker's free from pain. He's smiling down and looking at you.. something along the lines of what Luba wrote..

Keep the Happy Memories ALIVE
Keep Smiling
:)

deerclan
May 17th, 2004, 08:17 PM
Laura05...Karin everything is cool here please don't feel bad or ashamed.You were just voicing an opinion or making a point and you are all entitled to do this... :D

Luba
May 17th, 2004, 08:20 PM
It is a scary thing and yeah pointers are escape artists!
Do not blame yourself Deerclan! I'm sure it's hard on the kids, they must really miss him...as you do!

Your heart jumps, like yours must have Aggie with Choco!The other day Sadie was terrified of a noise while we were out walking and she pulled back with all her might, backing right out of her collar as hard as she could. There goes the heart pounding thud thud thud!! She's afriad and runs to try and get back home or to where we parked the car = dangerous!
Luckily I had treats on me, and managed to grab her!
She has no idea she's getting a harness!

deerclan
May 17th, 2004, 08:46 PM
OMG...Luba i would have had a heart attack. Is Sadie ok?
I remember my dad scolding our shorthair pointer when we lived on the farm for jumping over the fence this fence was 10 feet high so to fix the problem my dad added another 5 feet,I still remember the dog whining when my dad added the extra 5 feet LOL.... :D I remember a few times when we rolled up the driveway and our pointer sitting on the front stoop and his little stubby tail going a thousand mph and a couple of rabbits as gifts for my dad.My dad would give our dog a lecture LMAO... and then skin the rabbits for supper.

DeerClan

melanie
May 17th, 2004, 09:00 PM
you poor bugger, a big hug from us all here to you and your family. and remember, you met a wonderful spirit and had a wonderful time together, always remember the fun and love, it is rare to find such love in a life time and you were truly blessed. im sure tracker is looking over you and is now in a really happy place, you will be reunited one day, love is everlasting. be reassured you made the best decision for tracker, you didnt go and put your human needs and desires into the equasion, and that is truly the most pure and selfless love. (they need a little love heart icon here).

Luba
May 17th, 2004, 09:11 PM
Yes she's fine deerclan :D
She's a timid girl at times, unusual noises really scare her:
ie: motorcycles, helicopters, even sometimes sirens.
The harness will do good ;)

A 15 foot fence to keep that pointer in WOW! Some jumper/climber combo you had there!

When Honey was here she cleared our fence in no time, zoom right over it bounced over it like a spring board..... ran her hiney off all over the neighbourhood (me chasing her with a car, and having her chase me) it was terrifying but funny at the same time. Finally she had enough and I got her!

See how easy it is though, over/under a fence, through a fence, under or through a gate....diggers, climbers, bouncers, jumpers! They try!

Sometimes it's just really difficult with some dogs, others could care less if they got out or not.

My terrier Rusty (before Sadie) couldn't bother to even think of running off. I never had to have him on lead taking him into the yard or even on walks he stayed right beside me all the time. He never tried to go under the fence or gate. Some are different! Breed has something to do with it!