Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

red tint in my dog's eye..??

suckrmom
August 10th, 2007, 04:58 PM
i have a lhasa apsa....he is almost 12yrs old..i have noticed a "blood red" tint a the bottom of his eye(brown part)..when i clean his ears..he starts scatching/etc and the eye will get bright red(not dark)..it will go down to its normal color w/red tint..someone said it was like cataract..his eye does not seem to bother him...no drainage/scratching/etc..thanks charlene

rainbow
August 10th, 2007, 06:16 PM
Have you taken him to a vet yet?

suckrmom
August 11th, 2007, 09:15 AM
i had a vet tech look at him....she said he cant see out of that eye..but i have not actually had a vet look at him...i should but ...he is not hurting/etc just not sure what to do with all the expense it will be and for them to tell me "i dont know"...

Frenchy
August 11th, 2007, 09:33 AM
One of my dog had an eye problem not long ago , the vet looked at it and saw an ulcer , that needed drops. It wasn't that expensive. Ask your vet how much it would cost to take a look at it , you may be surprise with the cost. I think an eye problem needs to be looked at by a vet .

crazydays
August 11th, 2007, 10:03 AM
Hi- Anytime a eye shows red it either indicates an infection, a allergy, or some irritation to the sclera/cornea-either a scratch or abcess. Most of the time this problem amounts to something minor that can be treated with AB drops or ointment. If it hasn't gone away after a few days go to the Vet.
Good Luck!!

Dr Lee
August 11th, 2007, 01:27 PM
On occasion I have seen a small red masses in some older dogs as well. This would be a cause of redness without and discharge, no squinting, no other clinical signs, etc... This might not be as likely as the other causes mentioned but I thought it might be worth mentioning. :pawprint:

suckrmom
August 12th, 2007, 05:48 PM
thanks everyone...i appreciate your replies...will have it checked further...

rainbow
August 12th, 2007, 06:44 PM
Good luck and please keep us updated. :fingerscr :goodvibes: