Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Smelly Cat.

allsorts3
August 10th, 2007, 02:18 PM
Hello, this is my first post. My name is Natalie and I have a problem with my cat. Recently, he hasn't been taking care of himself. For example, for about a week or so he's smelt but then today, he's come home covered in poo (Sorry, not the nicest way to put it!) and won't clean himself up. All his fur around his legs is matted and he's generally not keeping clean.

We were wondering whether he had diarrhea and isn't feeling well which is why he hasn't cleaned himself up.

So, we're not sure if the problem is simply that he doesn't want to look after himself or if the problem is deeper than that.

Help please?
Thanks a lot.

krdahmer
August 10th, 2007, 02:25 PM
You said he 'came home' so I will assume you let him roam. First and formost you need to keep him in until you resolve the problem, you need to be observing all his behaviour. And control what he is able to eat.

He needs to see a vet and you need to take a poo sample with you, being outdoors he could have eaten something that made him sick, he could have picked up a parasite, there are a lot of things that could be going on, most of which can be cured by a trip to a vet and some meds. Any change in behaviour that drastic calls for an immediate vet visit!

That said I :pray: your kitty is alright and gets better soon.

Welcome also to the site.

Jim Hall
August 10th, 2007, 02:37 PM
If he is able to be handled safely, gently wash him off.
Use a soft cloth and a very mild cat shampoo or hand soap
you should do this a soon as possible. Then call your vet and ask for an appointment

IMPORTANT!!! Please keep him inside till you see the vet. I know this will probably drive both of you crazy, but it is very important not to get him exposed to whatever might have happend to him again or other parasites,
bacteria, strange animals, etc

WHen cats get to dirty they will sometimes just give up which is a good thing cause they would get sick/sicker if they tried to clean themselves

allsorts3
August 10th, 2007, 02:49 PM
Thanks a lot for your help. The only problem is that we have a burglar alarm which means arrangements at night are difficult. Any ideas of where we could put him then?

I think an appointment at the vets will be booked tomorrow. In the meantime, we're going to try and give him a 'bath.'

Poor old Twix!

Jim Hall
August 10th, 2007, 02:56 PM
i once took care of a outdoor cat who would not stay inside except when it was very cold but i would have to give him/her a bath about once a month

dtbmnec
August 10th, 2007, 04:24 PM
Is there any way you could put him in a bedroom or something? A place that won't set off the alarm? Put a litter box in with him and some "bedding" in case he wants to use it (which he probably won't since my two don't LOL).

I hope you find that its something simple :) :pray: :goodvibes:

Megan