Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Classifieds...

meg4050
August 10th, 2007, 12:28 PM
So I was browsing through my paper's classifieds, I always check out the pet section b/c they feature a couple of pets available for adoption at the humane society. Look what I came across:

JUNGLE Cat Cubs
JUNGLE Cat Cubs 100%pure gets 20-30lbs ready now $1000. ea

This has to be illegal right?

Jim Hall
August 10th, 2007, 12:36 PM
well one would make a hell of a deterrent to burglars

krdahmer
August 10th, 2007, 01:04 PM
http://www.exoticcatz.com/speciesjunglecat.html

Not sure about legal, they are not native to here, but are also not endangered or protected.... they just look like a bigger version of our cats. (Well bigger than most of our cats... :rolleyes: ) That site had a breeders list (only one breeder on it though).

Why not call the HS or SPCA in your area and get them to check it out.

meg4050
August 10th, 2007, 01:16 PM
I forwarded the add to the HS over my lunch - they said they'd already had one call over it and while the cats are not illegal, they can question the 'breeders' about the parents to ensure they aren't housing any illegal cats.
Caught my eye b/c there are rumours of people with pet cougars in the area!

clm
August 10th, 2007, 07:32 PM
Pet cougars are not legal so if you ever find out who has them report them. Far too big and dangerous a cat for someone to be keeping as a pet. Some people have no clue honestly. Why on earth would you want to keep something as majestic as a cougar hopelessly confined like a cat.
And that fellow who lost the cobra in Weston there a while back, I don't know if they ever found that snake.

Cindy

meg4050
August 10th, 2007, 10:58 PM
I don't understand it either, they've been investigating since the beginning of summer I believe. There were some reported sightings on the outskirts of the city. I guess they then determined that it was probably being kept as a pet and nothing more has been said since.
You'd think that would raise just as much alarm..

Longblades
August 11th, 2007, 10:35 AM
Unfortunately, pet cougars, and other wild cats, may indeed be legal in Ontario. The catch is that NATIVE Canadian cougars, or any native wildlife, are not legal. If the owner has paper work showing the animal was bred outside Ontario and purchased legally then it may be kept. Pending local bylaws of course.

Our poor old Ministry of Natural Resources should be informed as well though they are so strapped for cash it's doubtful they can do anything about it. When my OH was a game warden, now retired, he removed such a cougar from a private home and took it to the African Lion Safari till origin of the animal could be investigated. Turned out the critter had been purchased from somewhere in the U.S. and it was returned to the first owner.