Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Post Bath Ear Wash

want4rain
August 10th, 2007, 11:42 AM
should i? i ran across it a few months ago that dogs with floppy eats should have a 1pt white vinegar to 10 parts h2o ear wash??

-ashley

(the two girls are up stairs talking about how much money is $5 :cloud9: "you could buy a WHOLE My Little Pony with that kind of money!!" )

growler~GateKeeper
August 10th, 2007, 08:06 PM
I would say no vinegar in the ears!!! Yikes!!! If you've ever put vinegar on a cut or burn it helps to soothe eventually but initially it STINGS. Dogs & cats don't generally remember the relief after treatment (of any kind) but they remember the initial pain (even minor <oh the torture>). So that could make him even more difficult to deal with if he ever has a serious problem w/his ears.

Vinegar is also an astringent which generally removes all good oils & may cause the ear to dry out.

My Cally :dog: was a floppy eared boy & I only ever used luke warm water on cotton balls to gently swab the outer ear canal - if you go any farther in there is the risk of damaging bits you can't see :eek: & the ear is such a delicate organ it's easy to hurt something

There are ear solutions you can buy @ the vet - I've been quite happy w/Allergroom shampoo products & I believe they also make ear solutions.

(I remember the joys of My Little Pony :cloud9: )

badger
August 10th, 2007, 09:52 PM
My vet suggested vinegar diluted with water for my cats' ears. I put maybe 1/4 teaspoon vinegar in half a cup of tepid water and use it just to wipe out the visible part of the ear, I don't go any further or use QTips or administer it as 'drops' and I only use it on healthy - but dirty - ears. Seems to work fine.

breeze
August 10th, 2007, 09:58 PM
I only use the vet solution for ears but if you phone your vet they can tell you the right amount of vinigar and water and if it is safe