Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

ear mites or just ear wax?

smoothcoatcolli
August 10th, 2007, 12:14 PM
Has anyone encountered ear mites on their dog? I've read the related thread and some stuff on the internet. The pictures show the coffee ground like substance, but my dogs earwax kinda looks like that anyway -any other tips on how to tell?

want4rain
August 10th, 2007, 12:19 PM
you know, ive been looking at Misters ears and wondering the same thing.

-ashley

Love4himies
August 10th, 2007, 12:23 PM
I think it is hard to tell from just looking. My vet has always used a Q-tip to take a sample and examine under a microscope.

An indication of earmites is shaking its head and scratching at ears.

Dr Lee
August 10th, 2007, 02:01 PM
I think it is hard to tell from just looking. My vet has always used a Q-tip to take a sample and examine under a microscope.

This is the only way to know - otic swab cytology. With that said yeast (malassezia) and bacteria are by far the most common causes of ear infections. Ear mites are small contagious arthopods - this means the pet needs to contact other dogs with ear mites. Thus I see yeast and bacterial ear infections 5+ a week and I diagnose ear mites in dogs 2-3 x per year. I am sure a lot has to do with demographics however...

You can get everything you need for ear swab cytology at home - it is easy to obtain. I have seen microscopes for $60 dollars on ebay that are sufficient for this job. Using the information on your own may be a bit more challenging since veterinarians use otic swab cytology to help base their pharmaceutical choices...

Hope this helps. :pawprint:

smoothcoatcolli
August 14th, 2007, 11:17 AM
thanks fo the tips.

Ford Girl
August 14th, 2007, 03:27 PM
We have had on going ear issues with Dazy since February, she has yeast in her ear that won't go away, we have been thru several perscriptions and treatments, she eats no grain, we clean and swab and medicate twice daily, etc...we just found something that will work, we hope...the substance in her infected ear is redish brown wax, different from her other ear. I was at the vets this morning for a recheck after 1 week on this new med and the yeast count is way down - so far, so good!!! And he swabed for mites - he didn't find any and he said it was rare in dogs, more common in cats, I asked if it can transfer form cat to dog, he said it was rare. He said sometimes mites are the root problem, then comes the yeast or infection...

We are hoping to get rid of it once and for all, prolonged yeast and ear infections could cause perminent damage. She now hates visiting the vet as we go weekly, she trembles when we walk in, poor girl!! And twice a day we struggle to get her to come out for ear cleaning and meds, poor thing, I can't wait until it's all healed!!! She knows that when she sees me and my husband together it's ear time, once we catch her and settle her down and show her these special super yummy ear cleaning treats (real chicken breast) she tilts her head to the side and prepares for it like a real trooper, she knows it will make her feeel better...breaks my heart. Yes, I am a softy!

Chelly-Belly
August 15th, 2007, 08:36 PM
hi there! :goodvibes:

I'd just like to share an article about dog's ears. maybe it can help you.. it helped me learn a lot about my dog ears! But of course, nothing beats a trip to the vet, especially when the ears become red and swollen and the dog just rubs and rubs her ears on the ground. :D

http://www.petshed.com/articles/all-about-dog-ears-and-cat-ears.html

in case you're wondering, the article is about dog's and cat's ears... not just cats. the whole url won't fit! :crazy:

golden girl
August 18th, 2007, 12:56 AM
The Extra Virgin Coconut Oil is great for ears as it has antiparasitic, antibiotic and antifungal qualities to it. Works for mites, minor ear infections and for cleaning, anything really bad or pesistant I would get checked out by the vet.
Good Luck:dog: