Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My little huntress

ancientgirl
August 10th, 2007, 09:58 AM
Oksana loves playing with these little glittery feather balls. I noticed she had one in her mouth this morning, so when I was downstairs getting ready to leave and saw her playing with something, I assumed it was that. Until I had a closer look!

Gah! This is the 3rd roach she's been torturing. First of all, I just moved in and cleaned, so I have no clue where they are coming from, but I suspect its from a small hole in the half-bath downstairs, because this is where I saw her messing with the other two.

I quickly took it from her, thinking she might get sick if she ate it. Do your kitties eat bugs?

LOL, I know its probably a stupid question, after all, outdoor cats eat lots of odd things, and I figure if the roach was alive chances are they aren't infected with any bug spray. That's my worry, it might have some kind of toxic bug spray on it.

I'm going to have to inspect that bathroom and plug up any holes, but spraying bug spray isn't an option since I don't want my babies to get to it. Anyway, should I not worry if roaches are on the menu?

kigndano
August 10th, 2007, 10:21 AM
i dunno about cats, but i know cassius my pup eats all kinds of bugs that wander into the breezeway where we keep his crate and food/water bowls.

cats are hunters right?

if they eat mice and whatnot, i wouldnt think a bug would be an issue (minus the bug spray)

ancientgirl
August 10th, 2007, 10:28 AM
That's what I'm thinking.

Like I said, the darn roach was alive, so obviously bug spray free. LOL, maybe next time I'll just let her have at it. Blech!

want4rain
August 10th, 2007, 11:17 AM
bugs are pretty good for them but im not sure about cockroaches with how resilient they are. i can imagine some of them have eaten bait and lived.

we let bugs in most evenings for our cats to chase around. :) nothing like a big moth to stir the whole house up.

-ashley

jessi76
August 10th, 2007, 11:42 AM
I don't know much about roaches, but I do think you should have the problem taken care of professionally. If you own your home, have an exterminator come in and take care of it (move the cats out for a day or two), if you rent, I'd call the landlord ASAP. My cats are far to "girly" to eat such a bug.. they will kill moths in the house, but usually let the dog eat them.

I would guess the same about the roaches though, they are resiliant, so it's possible they could of eaten bait and lived.

ancientgirl
August 10th, 2007, 11:44 AM
That's a good suggestion. I could always all an exterminator, and talk to them about having something done. I could leave the cats boarding for a couple of days too.