Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Meteor Shower

rainbow
August 10th, 2007, 02:54 AM
The Perseid meteor shower is coming and experts say it should be a great show as it happens during a new moon this year. :thumbs up

FULL STORY at

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2007/11jul_greatperseids.htm?list805390

heidiho
August 10th, 2007, 04:15 PM
I am trying to figure out what time in hawaii tonight is best to watch i cant find it anywhere.

heidiho
August 10th, 2007, 04:19 PM
I read it so there is nothing going on tonight or saturday night??

dtbmnec
August 10th, 2007, 04:26 PM
My problem's going to be getting out to see it in the back park near our house and make sure mom and dad don't think I'm going to be dragged off and raped somewhere :wall:

I really would like to see it though :)

Megan

heidiho
August 10th, 2007, 05:10 PM
I was hoping it was tonight,have to get up early for work monday(re train girl)so there is nothing tonight??

rainbow
August 10th, 2007, 07:05 PM
Megan, take mom and dad with you. :D

Heidi, there's nothing tonight. What time are you going to bed on Sunday night and what time do you get up to go to work on Monday?

Note: In the narrative that follows, all times are local. For instance, 9:00 pm means 9:00 pm in your time zone, where you live.

The show begins between 9:00 and 10:00 pm on Sunday, August 12th, when Perseus rises in the northeast. This is the time to look for Perseid Earthgrazers--meteors that approach from the horizon and skim the atmosphere overhead like a stone skipping the surface of a pond.

"Earthgrazers are long, slow and colorful; they are among the most beautiful of meteors," says Cooke. He cautions that an hour of watching may net only a few of these--"at most"--but seeing even one makes the long night worthwhile.

As the night unfolds, Perseus climbs higher and the meteor rate will increase many-fold. "By 2 am on Monday morning, August 13th, dozens of Perseids may be flitting across the sky every hour." The crescendo comes before dawn when rates could exceed a meteor a minute.

breeze
August 10th, 2007, 08:38 PM
my sons went to go see if they could see anything hope they do but it is a little cloudy here tonight

ok so the ding dongs got the date wrong they will have fun anyway and they will have to wait until sunday

wdawson
August 10th, 2007, 08:51 PM
too light here....i would need to drive a coupl hours for the full effect:sad:

Frenchy
August 10th, 2007, 10:39 PM
No lights here ! So if anyone wants to come here and see it , $5.00 cover fee. (yea , not bad , only $5.00 ) :shrug:

growler~GateKeeper
August 10th, 2007, 10:40 PM
No lights here ! So if anyone wants to come here and see it , $5.00 cover fee. (yea , not bad , only $5.00 ) :shrug:

Is that airfare included?? :laughing:

Frenchy
August 10th, 2007, 10:42 PM
Is that airfare included?? :laughing:

You're on your own sister :laughing:

But I can forget the cover fee for anyone that has to get here by plane , just bring kibbles :laughing:

growler~GateKeeper
August 10th, 2007, 10:46 PM
:D :laughing: :D

sorry no kibbles here, how 'bout krunchies for Monsieur Le Chat & his 2 friends? :D

Frenchy
August 10th, 2007, 10:49 PM
:D :laughing: :D

sorry no kibbles here, how 'bout krunchies for Monsieur Le Chat & his 2 friends? :D

It sure smells like pressure in here :laughing:

growler~GateKeeper
August 11th, 2007, 02:27 AM
:sorry: for the hijack :o

This hijack is now over. :)

I saw a minor meteor shower once it's very cool, unfortunately everytime there is one I usually miss it cuz I'm too :sleepy: & the best time for viewing is usually btwn 3-4 am :eek: . I'll have to see if I can catch this one. :o Any photo buffs out there wanna try their hand @ some pics?

growler~GateKeeper
August 14th, 2007, 01:10 AM
Rainbow did you see the meteor shower? It was abit cloudy here & I was way to tired to look out the window for more than a couple of minutes around 5 am when I fed Duffy - so I didn't see anything :sad:

rainbow
August 14th, 2007, 01:24 AM
I didn't see much. :sad: It was cloudy here all day right up till I went to bed at midnight. :frustrated: I woke up at 4am and watched from the bedroom window. I did see a few but they were quite faint. Ticked me off because it's been so nice for the last month and yesterday it had to be cloudy. They said on the news today that there will still be some tonight and it's pretty clear out now so hopefully I'll see some more when I take Chase out. :fingerscr

growler~GateKeeper
August 14th, 2007, 01:29 AM
Why do they always happen the night before I hafta go to work??? :yell: just my luck I guess :shrug:

rainbow
August 14th, 2007, 01:38 AM
I guess there's too many lights around where you are to even check before you go to bed tonight. :sad:

growler~GateKeeper
August 14th, 2007, 01:45 AM
Yup my building fronts a very very very busy street too - main arterial route. I could take a walk to the trail a few blocks away but not too sure I want to do that on my own @ 2-3 am :shrug: And it's not cloudy tonight we had a gorgeous day :cloud9:

rainbow
August 14th, 2007, 01:49 AM
You definitely don't want to be walking down a trail at night by yourself. :eek: The Perseid meteor shower happens every August so you'll get to catch it sooner or later. :)

growler~GateKeeper
August 14th, 2007, 01:57 AM
Yeah it's not too bad @ 10-11pm when I go for a 4 mile walk but half of that is main roads. I don't think after 11:30 would be safe w/out a bodyguard :laughing: or large dog :cloud9: , esp since there's always weird guys lurking around trails & such.

i'll try for a peek out the window after I feed Duffy in the am:)

(I definately need to get back out for a walk soon :o it's much easier to be motivated when one has a dog to walk :sad: )

rainbow
August 14th, 2007, 02:07 AM
I wouldn't even be going out of the house at 10-11pm in the big city. :eek: Too many weirdos out and most people just turn a blind eye nowadays cuz they don't want to get involved. :eek:

growler~GateKeeper
August 14th, 2007, 02:21 AM
Too true, but I'm a tough city girl (so says everyone right :rolleyes: oh yeah it'll never happen to me :rolleyes: ) I'm very carefu &l always have my cell phone ready & carry a small (legal) pocket knife. Most of the time when I go for walks I start around 9-9:30ish so I'm usually home around 10-10:30ish

http://bestsmileys.com/cartoon/11.gif :laughing:

rainbow
August 14th, 2007, 02:30 AM
oh yeah it'll never happen to me :rolleyes:

"Famous last words" so many times. :sad: Have you taken any self defense courses? :o

growler~GateKeeper
August 14th, 2007, 02:39 AM
no, just some small stuff from way back in high school gym class. My endurance is fairly good & the suburban trail is beside & intersecting roads so I figure I could out run someone. I run 7 escalators/staircases a day 3 up & 4 down without having to catch my breath.

I'm definately not unaware of what could happen, I'm always cautious of who's around me, even in daylight ;)

rainbow
August 14th, 2007, 02:44 AM
Well you definitely sound like you're in good shape. :thumbs up Just be careful.....especially at night. :grouphug: :fingerscr :goodvibes:

growler~GateKeeper
August 14th, 2007, 02:48 AM
I always am thanks :)

:fingerscr for a peek @ the meteor shower this am

rainbow
August 14th, 2007, 02:51 AM
I'm off to do that right now. :D

growler~GateKeeper
August 15th, 2007, 02:06 AM
Didya see any??

rainbow
August 15th, 2007, 02:20 AM
Only one and it was clear as a bell. :frustrated:

growler~GateKeeper
August 15th, 2007, 02:24 AM
@ least you got to see one :D - none here course I was also way to tired to peek out the window after feeding the food bug in the am & there's an outside bldg light btwn my apt & the next one closer to main street - but it wasn't on then or now :shrug:

oh well will have to remember for next year :shrug: