Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Which kitten(s) would complement my family?

koba
August 10th, 2007, 01:18 AM
:) I have 3 cats: Freddie, 11, Mia, 9, and Amy, 1.5.
Freddie an Mia are pals and snuggle up together.
Poor Amy has remained an outsider, athough there is no hostility between her and Freddie.
I allowed her to have kittens, hoping she would get a pal. I have 3 little ones now, not sure about their gender :)
Mia has been very hostile to Amy until recently, when the tables turned, and the pregnant Amy became a top cat.
When Freddie was a year old, he chased away another male a few weeks his junior. I have been very reluctant to get another male, however, Amy's suitor has been hanging around the house, and Freddie has not chased HIM away, so maybe he will be ok with a male. He seems to have a large territory and sometimes I do not see him for a day or more.
Mia was very aggressive with another older female I had, who has since died. Currently Mia is ousted, and lives outside.
My cats have always been free to go out via cat doors, in fact, I don't have a litterbox in the house as I have HIV, and this could be dangerous to me.
Now that I have kittens, I am not sure what would be a good addition to my cat family. The females have not been getting along thus far, and I have been worried about Freddie chasing away another male. Also, I believe that in the wild, males are chased away to avoid inbreeding. I am willing to keep 2 kittens, but which ones?????????????
I am sure I have mixed sexes, probably 1 male 2 females.
Do mother cats get along better with their sons or daughters?

onster
August 10th, 2007, 06:59 AM
Are you planning on getting all the cats fixed? Also what happens to the kitten you don't end up keeping? If your male isnt fixed then he will mate with the female kitten when its old enough, as well as with the mom...if you keep the male kitten it will mate with its mom when its old enough. If you have an unneutered male the fights with an another unneutered male will be intense. No matter what you decide to do, it would be in the best interest of your cats health and their general willingless/ability to live together in harmony to get them neutered and fixed.

I don't know too much about owning cats when you have HIV, though I would think with your immune system compromised it would not be a good idea having indoor-outdoor cats ( or just outdoor cats you interact with) because cats allowed outdoors can get a lot of dieseases, zoonoses, that can be passed on to you.

From the online pamphlet:http://www.cdc.gov/healthypets/pdf/your_cat_your_health.pdf

Am I at Risk for Contracting a Disease from my Cat?
Current evidence supports the fact that pets pose a
minimal risk. Cats kept indoors are exposed to fewer
diseases. Your risk may be slightly higher if you fall
into one of the following groups:
People with compromised immune systems
People with AIDS/HIV
People on chemotherapy
People who are elderly
People born with congenital immune deficiencies
Pregnant women (a fetusís immune system is not
fully developed)
People who have received organ or bone marrow
transplants

How can I prevent my cat from getting
bacterial infections and intestinal
parasites?
Feed your cat a commercial brand cat food.
If you must feed your cat meat, poultry, or
cook them well.
Wash hands thoroughly after handling raw meat.
Keep your cat indoors and prevent it from hunting.
See Safe Litter Box Guidelines on page 1.

Love4himies
August 10th, 2007, 07:19 AM
You won't know how they will interact until the kittens have reach maturity.

Onster has informed you that there will be inbreeding and that is correct. They act on instinct, not morals. Also, you will probably start having the problem with male spraying when the kittens reach sexual maturity. Unaltered cats do not make good pets and breeding should only be done by experienced, reputable breeders. Please don't allow anymore unwanted cats come into the world. Trust me, you will find your cats to be much better off and happier spayed/neutered.

If you LOVE YOUR CATS YOU WILL GET THEM SPAYED/NEUTERED ASAP!

Love4himies
August 10th, 2007, 07:23 AM
I meant to add, that all cats are different and there is no rhyme or reason as to who they will get along with. I personally have found that female cats seem to prefer to be alone and males seem to be more social. However that can depend on if a male is a dominant male and in which case will fight with all cats in his territory.

Spaying and neutering will lessen the risk of fighting between the cats.

Allowing your cats to breed is for your pleasure, not the cats. They live a much more stress free and healthier life altered.

badger
August 10th, 2007, 08:40 AM
I'm guessing you don't keep them inside 24/7 or have a litterbox because scooping cat litter can be risky for people with HIV. Why don't you ask your doctor if wearing gloves and paper mask would help. If you use good quality litter that doesn't produce dust, you could reduce the risk even further.

If you insist on the indoor/outdoor arrangement, remember to worm them regularly (every six months). Even if they are not good at it, outdoor cats will always have a stab at hunting and then eat their prey or any other tasty dead rotting morsel they find.

If any of your cats are intact, the conflict factor will be greater because there is more to be jealous about, everything is heightened. You will constantly be dealing with roving toms and fights and could get yourself bitten in the process, another risk to your health; not to mention unwanted litters and trips to the vet to deal with infections.

I'd rehome ALL the kittens - and keep them inside starting NOW, because a female can get pregnant and the males begin to wander when they are very young. Make sure they are either already neutered and spayed when you rehome them or with a proviso in the contract (there are some sample contracts on this site) that the owners will follow through when they are old enough.

There is no reason why three fixed cats can't live together inside quite happily. Start by keeping them inside at night. Provide some stimulation by playing with them regularly. If you need to keep them in separate rooms and then reintegrate them slowly, do that.

The situation as it stands sounds a bit out of control. Having more cats around is not going to improve things, believe me.

koba
August 11th, 2007, 12:45 AM
It seems that I need to clarify that I intend to get my queen and her kittens neutered or spayed as soon as possible. My other adult cats have been spayed and neutered as kittens.
Also, I do not intend to turn them into indoor cats. None of my cats have had their lifespan reduced by being outside at will.
I just wanted to know if anyone has any ideas about which mix would be the best for this particular bunch of cats in the long run.

badger
August 11th, 2007, 08:15 AM
Sorry, didn't get that part. I think you just have to observe the kittens closely, as their personalities emerge, and choose the one who seems to fit in and is accepted by the others. I would also neuter or spay them as early as possible - some vets will do them at 3-4 months if I am not mistaken - because that also has an effect on their behaviour. Even a very young intact cat will arouse the hostility of one who is not.
Can't think of anything else, except that remember you are the leader of the pack and the way you interact with each of them affects how they interact with each other. The inside/outside model makes this a bit complicated (I speak from experience) because they have another life out there, where you have far less control. This means you need to be even more alpha and work harder on encouraging their attachment to you and their tolerance of each other.
So, the female who has been 'banished', does she get another chance? :sad:

Love4himies
August 12th, 2007, 03:11 PM
Thank you for clarifying that you will be getting the kittens fixed.

I ditto what Badger has stated.