Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cyrus the Rottweiler - The Good, the Bad and The Ugly

heyjude11
August 10th, 2007, 12:26 AM
The Good News: Cyrus, the dog who was left locked in his owner's vehicle on a very hot day just over a week ago has made great improvements altho' he is by no means fully recovered, according to information posted on the THS website.
The Bad News: The Animal Cruelty Investigator who handcuffed the dog's owner to his vehicle has had his license suspended by the OSPCA.
The Ugly: To learn more about the infinite wisdom of the OSPCA, check out the Toronto Humane Society website and scroll down to the story "Cruelty Charge Laid by Toronto Humane Society sustained." This incident, by the way, was investigated by the same ACI.
It's hard to know whom the OSPCA is protecting ... the animals or their owners?

Rottielover
August 10th, 2007, 07:04 AM
I am so happy even for a slow recovery,it is a recovery, but I am really disgusted that they would even consider suspending the licence, let alone doing it. He had Cyrus in mind the whole time. If he did not do it, it could have meant the dogs life.
The dog would not be in that critical condition if someone had the guts to break the window before, but no, because the media has scared the crap out of everyone about the gentle rottweiler. People much have rathered let the dog suffer than to help...That is also very sad...Thanks a lot stupid media.
The officer by no means deserves what he is getting, and I for one will be doing something about it. Definetly an email, maybe even a call.

Love4himies
August 10th, 2007, 07:47 AM
Thanks for the update, heyjude11. I keep thinking about this poor dog. As for the officer who is suspended. I think the OSPCA needs to know how the public really feels and I believe they agree with what the officer did. If they are not allowed to use their handcuffs, why do they have them?????

An email is in order for this.

chico2
August 10th, 2007, 08:04 AM
If the OSPCA investigator found it necessary to handcuff the owner,the dogs life being a priority,his suspension is totally unfair.
I read nowhere in our paper about handcuffing the owner,it was mostly about the poor dog.
I am relieved to hear Cyrus is doing good:thumbs up

meg4050
August 10th, 2007, 08:45 AM
Here's the link about him being suspended
http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_13622.aspx

there's another link at the bottom to Cyprus' page at the THS with updates on his condition

heyjude11
August 10th, 2007, 09:31 AM
Rottielover, Love4himies and Chico2, I was hoping that my post would generate responses like yours. I would really like to see the OSPCA inundated with e-mails, phone calls and letters from the public expressing outrage at the suspension of the ACI. I read that his licence suspension will remain in place until the OSPCA finishes conducting their investigation. Judging by their past actions, I'm not optimistic for Tre (the investigator involved). I hope I'm wrong because this is not 'just' a job to him; he cares deeply about the welfare of the animals. If you check out the THS website, there are 4 new pictures of Cyrus. The man with Cyrus is Tre. Tre's facial expression in that picture says it all. Can we start a petition? Anyone know how to go about doing that?
Friday nights I volunteer at the THS. Tre is usually there when I arrive. I hope tonight will be no different because I know he's not about to go down without a fight. I'll try to see Cyrus, and if I do I'll tell him about all the good people on this board who are praying for his full recovery.

Frenchy
August 10th, 2007, 12:21 PM
Can we start a petition?

I will certainly e-mail them !!! As for a petition , you could start one , make photocopies and leave as many as you can in vet's clinics , pet food stores , groomers , places like that.

krdahmer
August 10th, 2007, 01:21 PM
I just sent a message.... that is ridiculous. They (OSPCA) want us to sign petitions for harsher punishments, but then they punish one of their own for restraining an obvious law breaker!!! :frustrated:

I think if these losers saw more of that on the news they might think twice about neglecting their animals.

ANd futher... where do we humans get off deciding we are more important than every other living creature on this planet???!!! I mean really how dare we... the ego of mankind is disgusting! (sorry that's an existential debate for another time and place!:rolleyes: )

And the only people jumping to that man's defense are either related to him or have quite obviously never known the unconditional love of an animal.

mummummum
August 10th, 2007, 02:22 PM
That's just beyond the pale. This man is a hero to be celebrated, not castigated. I've also sent an email to the Executive Director. Here is her contact information if you are also so inclined.

Chief Excecutive Officer:
Kate MacDonald
Email: jmeyntz@ospca.on.ca
Phone: 905-898-7122 ext. 304

And here is a link to sign a petition for tougher laws on animal cruelty
http://www.petitiononline.com/ths0708/petition.html

and some news about Cyrus from THS
http://www.torontohumanesociety.com/

chico2
August 10th, 2007, 04:55 PM
I too send away an e-mail,thank's for all the links and info,I've read nothing about it in the Toronto Star,or on the CTV news:yell:

wdawson
August 10th, 2007, 09:35 PM
well it just took me an hour and a half......but i sent my novel to them:laughing:

Love4himies
August 13th, 2007, 01:05 PM
Sent off my e-mail. Hopefully this incident will get McGuinty's attention and increase the penalties for animal cruelty.

krdahmer
August 13th, 2007, 01:53 PM
You would think with all these cases every year.... but nope they have more important things to worry about.... like their salaries...:rolleyes:

Got a response from the OSPCA and THS... HS totally behind the officer and in what I'm sure was a form letter made for all the complaints they will get, sounded ticked at the OSPCA. OSPCA.... also a form letter, he is a hero, yadda yadda... but we have to protect our own asses... blah blah blah...

I mean really who is sticking up for this weener? The guy had a booboo under his eye.... and a few kicks to the ego, which I'm sure he needed. Ideally ya the ACI guy should have waited for the cops, but then Cyrus wouldn't be making a recovery as we speak!

Let's see... near death dog gets rescued, evil owner gets a few bruises... so for that they take the officer, which I'm sure each and every one is much needed, off active duty? DUMB.... just DUMB.:frustrated:

heyjude11
August 14th, 2007, 02:15 AM
FYI, I've posted more info under "Newspaper articles of Interest" plus an update on Cyrus.

mummummum
August 14th, 2007, 11:55 AM
CBC hasn't updated their site yet but Tre Smith was interviewed by Andy Barry this morning on Metro Morning. Check back later today:http://www.cbc.ca/metromorning/