Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cancer dog throwing up bile!!

budboybudboy77
August 9th, 2007, 08:41 PM
Hi , just wanted to write about Buddy this is from my original thread
He is having a hard time last blood test was a week ago, tests were not good for his liver.
So he has been taking liver pills everyday for the past week ,plus milk thistle 4 caps a day also for the past week.

Anyways Thursday Aug 9 he has another blood test to see if he can start his limoustine, which was suppose to be started last week but all test results need to be good which they were not.
His lumps under his mouth (throat) have returned to a bigger size just the last few days.

He really is very tired and does not want to know much of anything, he sleeps or lays down alot has no energy. I feel bad for him because we are trying our best but the friggin cancer is beating us up to this point.
I hope the blood tests results are good this time around.

We are feeding him Orijen, but the thing is it has 16% fat in it, which I was told at the vets is way too much and should be half that.

He does look a little bloated, and I thought maybe the Orijen was too much in the way of too high protein affecting his liver?

Got the test results back his ALT was 199, and his ALKP was 193.
So now we wait to see if he can get his Limoustine?

Tonight after vets ,from 5:30 pm to 9:30 pm he threw up 3 times ,all bile.
Don't know why anyone with some answers i'd appreciate it much.

I feel bad and sad for him but will hang in there.I just don't want to lose my dog!!

Thks

badger
August 9th, 2007, 09:02 PM
I don't understand the science but it sounds as if Buddy's feeling pretty lousy. It might be time to look at that checklist someone posted here recently, to help you evaluate his quality of life with a clear eye.
We're here for you budboy, :pray: for a miracle.

Frenchy
August 9th, 2007, 09:29 PM
I am so sorry :sad: but to me , it sounds like Buddy is tired of all the tests and treatments. :sad:

rainbow
August 10th, 2007, 01:14 AM
I am so sorry to hear about Buddy. :grouphug:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=2353&S=4&SourceID=47

Love4himies
August 10th, 2007, 06:29 AM
So sorry to hear about Buddy, this must be so hard for you, please listen when he tells you it is time to go.

clm
August 10th, 2007, 09:12 AM
I'm so sorry about your dog. My heart goes out to you and Buddy.

Cindy

Melinda
August 10th, 2007, 09:30 AM
when my dog was dying of lepto, I had to make her a low protein meal, here is what she ate

1 skin less chicken breast
10 cups of water,
3 tums
3 cups of either rice or noodles
1 egg
3 doggie vitamin tablets (from the vets)
boils the chicken breast in the water, when cooked, remove all the white meat and put back in the water, discard the bones, add the rest of the ingredients and cook till the noodles are soft, she was a 65 pound dog and ate this daily, you can sub the chicken breast for extra lean hamburger. Hope this helps, I know with the tums in it it settled her stomach and took care of most of the bile.

budboybudboy77
August 10th, 2007, 10:06 AM
Many thks for the replies and wishes , I'm waiting for a call from Oncologist.

Buddy took his liver pill this morning with his prednisone, I was told to do this in the mean time, no more throwing up yet.

Melinda your recipe is good ,but just wanted to ask should I stop the Orijen ,very high protein food?

Thks all

budboybudboy77
August 10th, 2007, 12:28 PM
hi again was told by oncologist to keep him at vet's for weekend on i.v for the fluids, don't know what to do, there must be an easier way ti hydrate him until Monday when the blood tests come back?

Anyone pls

Melinda
August 10th, 2007, 12:31 PM
prednisone will make them bloat a bit, at least it did with Daisy, now remember, there was no hope for her, we were just keeping her alive (there was always hope though *S*) with the cancer, your pup still has a chance, we had to take her off of all dog food/treats because of all the protein, as a treat, believe it or not, the vet (her case was studied by vets in ontario and usa) she was allowed a macdonalds plain hamburger, it has the lowest protein of all burger places *S*

Melinda
August 10th, 2007, 12:33 PM
hi again was told by oncologist to keep him at vet's for weekend on i.v for the fluids, don't know what to do, there must be an easier way ti hydrate him until Monday when the blood tests come back?

Anyone pls

if your dog will eat ice, you can buy childrens popsicles at Walmart pharmacy made from pedialite, let him have as many as you can get him to eat, also buy pedialite liquid and fill his dog dish to see if he'll drink it, I have to do this with wildlife when they're first brought to me. but I would go with the vets wishes and have him on iv, they are probably trying to help the liver do its processing

budboybudboy77
August 10th, 2007, 12:41 PM
Ok thks for reply still confused what to do , just afraid something might happen to him on the weekend and we won't be with him.

i guess the orijen is off for now ,too high in protein.

thks

budboybudboy77
August 10th, 2007, 03:42 PM
hi again I was told by my vet not the oncologist to keep him home, give him some pedialyte and fix him a dinner or dinners like the one Melinda mentioned (just that the vet did not say anything about tums or vitamins) .

My vet says the i.v will help his hydration , but in no way will help his cancer.

So we went with a diagnosis of an infection causing his vomiting and he is taking Baytril ,which he actually likes.

Just another question , the pedialyte is apple taste ,he does not like it , is there a better way to give him this?

The vet also gave us 2 cans like a baby food thing to get his stomach going sort of ,one is recovery formula and the other a/d.

thks

budboybudboy77
August 10th, 2007, 04:12 PM
anyone pls pls

How much of the above recipe do I give Buddy a day?

I put 1500 mg in the recipe when it was cooking.

thks

rainbow
August 10th, 2007, 06:25 PM
How much of the above recipe do I give Buddy a day?

How much does Buddy weigh? Melindas dog weighed 65lb. and ate that amount daily so adjust accordingly. I would divide it and feed 4 meals per day.

Just another question , the pedialyte is apple taste ,he does not like it , is there a better way to give him this?

Mix it in with a small amount of his food.

I put 1500 mg in the recipe when it was cooking.

1500mg of what?

budboybudboy77
August 10th, 2007, 08:26 PM
Oh I'm sorry 1500 mg of tums, Buddy weighs 85lbs.

So that recipe is for per day?

What about the pedialyte?

Boy does he ever love that recipe?

He hasn't been sick since noon today.

thks

budboybudboy77
August 11th, 2007, 10:01 AM
Buddy had no puking or any of that seems his red blood cells are a little low.
Thks