Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Can chewing ice/drinking iced water cause bloat?

morganlea
August 9th, 2007, 06:35 PM
I have been sent an article that is doing the rounds of the internet on Bloating. It is warning people off giving their dogs ice chips to chew or iced water to drink in summer.
I am not sure of the authenticity of this article, and cannot find anyone who can actually verify that doing this can cause bloat - a life threatening condition. Can the vets on this site please clarify for me. I live in a hot country where it is common practice in summer to cool dogs down by this method, but don't want to engage in a practice that may be harmfull to them. Here is the article: http://dogblog.dogster.com/2007/08/09/ice-causes-bloat/#more-4349

Purpledomino
August 9th, 2007, 06:44 PM
This is interesting. I would also wish to ask the good doctor (Dr. Lee?) his personal opinion on feeding large dogs out of elevated bowls. Considering the conflicting opinions I've heard on this, and having had a dog die from a gastric torsion...I would also like opinions on this for my two giant sized dogs. :dog:

growler~GateKeeper
August 9th, 2007, 06:45 PM
I'm sure it is quite possible the ice water was the cause of the bloat.

My :rip: :dog: Cally used to get ice cubes as a treat in the summer until he turned 9 years old then we noticed he was throwing up after every ice cube - after that we never gave him ice cubes, & always made sure that his water wasn't too cold.

Another reason to avoid giving ice cubes for chewing is it wears the enamel down on their teeth same as ours.

I would suggest plenty of fresh water, not so cold, make sure they drink only small amounts after eating/exercising or while they are hot

welcome to the board. got pics?

Jim Hall
August 9th, 2007, 08:35 PM
like humans digestion and absorption works better at cool temps

Dr Lee
August 10th, 2007, 10:10 AM
This is interesting. I would also wish to ask the good doctor (Dr. Lee?) his personal opinion on feeding large dogs out of elevated bowls. Considering the conflicting opinions...

There is a lot of conflicting opinions on elevated bowls. It was popular about 5-6 years ago and has largely fallen out of popularity again. I am not a elevated bowl advocate based on the fact that I have never seen wolves put their food up on a table to eat it. (well, perhaps in a Disney movie or two...). If they ate from elevation in the wild like a giraffe, then I would be all for it; but I think mother nature sometimes knows best.

What causes bloat? We still don't really know. Some theories have included helicobacter, some food intolerances, IBD, etc... We do know that eating or drinking huge amounts all at once is a cause in some cases. I had a client who didn't feed his great dane all weekend so came home gave him a triple portion of food, then ended taking him to the emergency room where he died.

There is some support of hereditary causes which can support prophylactic gastropexy in some patients at time of spay or neuter. Unfortunately for the large part, we just don't have all the answers despite a fair amount of study in this area.

Recommendations that seem to be currently agreed upon: not eating too fast or too much at one time, an appropriate diet, no exercise for thirty minutes after eating. Hope this helps.:pawprint: