Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Anesthesia

amw9490
August 9th, 2007, 05:01 PM
So yesterday my mom took in our little Peek-A-Poo (Half pekingese and half poodle) to be fixed. The doctor said she had an allergic reaction to the anesthesia and her heart stopped. They got it beating again, and she's awake, but the doctor says she can't really stand up or do anything. Do you think she will get better? She is only 6 months old. I'm hoping that being at least awake is a good sign. Anyone?

Frenchy
August 9th, 2007, 06:56 PM
Unfortunatly , these things can happen :sad: make sure to let her at the vet until she's 100% ready to come back home.

amw9490
August 9th, 2007, 07:35 PM
I'm just hoping she pulls through, and can walk and function normally again.

Dr Lee
August 9th, 2007, 09:32 PM
It is hard to say without seeing your pet however in general pets with anesthetic reactions that make it through their initial crisis - most of the subsequent clinical signs often resolve. This often happens within 48 hours but can sometimes take a couple of weeks. There are some that have permanent damage however these are less than those that come to full recovery. So chances are likely favorable. Best of luck:pawprint:

amw9490
August 9th, 2007, 11:39 PM
My mother told me that the Vets are going to put her in some type of oxygen chamber to get oxygen inside of her body and her brain. They said this might help her recover from an allergic reaction to the anesthesia. Have you ever heard of this?

amw9490
August 10th, 2007, 03:37 PM
Has anyone heard of it? My mother said it's called a Hyperbaric Chamber.

Jim Hall
August 10th, 2007, 03:40 PM
yep it is a sealed chamber that is filled with more oxygen than normal at more air pressure than normal , it is a very effective tool even though it has gotten some bad press becuase of some celebrities who have them

amw9490
August 10th, 2007, 03:57 PM
Would this help if my dog was indeed allergic to the type of anesthesia? Im not entirely sure thats why they put her in that, but I hope it works.

amw9490
August 10th, 2007, 11:06 PM
Well today she ate regular food for the first time and the vet thinks she's trying to stand up.

growler~GateKeeper
August 10th, 2007, 11:07 PM
Good news. :thumbs up Baby steps are the way to go
:goodvibes: :grouphug: :fingerscr

hazelrunpack
August 10th, 2007, 11:12 PM
I'm glad to hear that she's feeling a bit better tonight, amw9490. :grouphug:

I know that hyperbaric chambers can be used to help re oxygenate tissues. So I can well imagine that one might be useful in recovery from an anesthesia reaction, but I don't have any real experience with it. If she's feeling better, it sounds like the treatment is working, at least! :thumbs up

amw9490
August 10th, 2007, 11:30 PM
Yeah I'm hoping she is getting better, but I'm not going to get my hopes up. Also, she could be getting better but we don't know if she will continue to get better until she's normal or if she'll only get to a certain point. We're just hoping she does. :pray:

Frenchy
August 10th, 2007, 11:34 PM
Don't give up hope , so far , so good ! :thumbs up

amw9490
August 11th, 2007, 02:26 PM
Well last night the vet said that our dog got mad when he stopped feeding her, something new. He also said that she is now sleeping in a ball. (She used to sleep very rigid)

Dr Lee
August 11th, 2007, 02:30 PM
I am glad she is getting better. Hyperbaric chambers are wonderful, they are just uncommon to see. If they were free - every vet would have one! I am glad that she is lucky enough to have access to one. :pawprint:

CyberKitten
August 12th, 2007, 03:11 PM
I agree with Dr. Lee - Hyperbaric chambers are wonderful - how great that she did have access to one and that it looks like she'll be fine!! Bravo!! I am sorry she had to endure the problem to begin with but those complications can happen. I am just glad all looks like it is getting better!

amw9490
August 12th, 2007, 04:23 PM
Well nothing big has happened yet, but things are progressing slowly.

amw9490
August 13th, 2007, 01:40 PM
Well, she isn't getting really any better and is getting weaker. If a miracle doesn't happen within the next couple days, we're going to have to put her to sleep. 6 months old. :sad:

hazelrunpack
August 13th, 2007, 01:42 PM
:fingerscr and :pray:s that she recovers, amw. Don't give up on her yet! :grouphug:

Jim Hall
August 13th, 2007, 01:48 PM
the weakness may just be due to inactivity?

amw9490
August 13th, 2007, 01:56 PM
The vet will talk to a couple more vets to see if there's anything to do and if she continues to get weaker, we have to put her to sleep. And she's inactive because she can't stand up.

amw9490
August 14th, 2007, 03:05 AM
Turns out the vet thinks my dog had a blood clot, which stopped her heart. Right now things aren't looking good, we will probably have to put her down in a couple of days. She is losing weight because she is not eating, and still cannot stand up. I read that a dog could go up to a few minutes with their heart stopped before suffering brain damage. I'm not sure exactly how long her heart stopped, but it looks to have been too long. We're praying that a miracle happens and she stands up and starts eating, but it's not likely. Before you tell me to not give up hope, I'm not. I've been praying all day for her to pull through but if we have to put her to sleep, we're going to have her creamated and keep her with us at our house.:pray: :pray: :pray:

growler~GateKeeper
August 14th, 2007, 03:32 AM
:grouphug: :fingerscr :goodvibes: & lots of :pray: for good news

rainbow
August 14th, 2007, 03:54 AM
Sometimes miracles do happen. My thoughts are with you. :fingerscr :goodvibes: :pray: :fingerscr :goodvibes:

amw9490
August 14th, 2007, 01:50 PM
Well, she wasn't better today and today is the last day we're giving her. Tomorrow we're going to go say bye to her and then they're putting her to sleep. :sad: :sad: :sad: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Love4himies
August 14th, 2007, 02:01 PM
:pray: for you. She still has until tomorrow to show some improvements.

Winston
August 14th, 2007, 02:32 PM
You posted origionally on August 8, 07 about this problem?? I am very surprised to say the least that your vet has not waited longer than 7 days for her to turn around? Could she just be weak from all of this? Perhaps waiting a bit longer to see if she turns around? I realize this must be costly but what if she gets a bit stronger and then is able to turn things around?

Can your vet not feed her intraveniously to see if that gets her energy back and then perhaps she will be strong enought to fight this?

I'm sorry I know I am not in your shoes but I think I would wait longer than 7 days to make such a drastic decision?

Cindy

amw9490
August 14th, 2007, 02:49 PM
She won't eat food at all, we don't want to wait for her to die of starvation. She can't swallow.

Love4himies
August 14th, 2007, 03:00 PM
Aww the poor thing.

Winston
August 14th, 2007, 04:02 PM
Is your puppy at home? Or at the vet? I would think they could feed her by IV to see if she gains any strength back? I am sorry you have to be in this situation but dont give up hope yet? maybe you have other options?

Cindy

amw9490
August 14th, 2007, 05:32 PM
She's on IV, that doesn't keep her weight up. She is LOSING weight and can't swallow.

amw9490
August 15th, 2007, 12:44 AM
Well, the vet called and said that my dog's internal organs are failing. I want her to die peacefully in her sleep, but I also want to say good bye. If she makes it until tomorrow, then I'll be able to say my good byes, but if she dies in her sleep at least I'll know she wasn't hurting.

growler~GateKeeper
August 15th, 2007, 01:04 AM
Darlin' I'm sorry for all you've gone through :grouphug:

hazelrunpack
August 15th, 2007, 01:09 AM
Oh, I'm so sorry :grouphug: She knows you love her--even if you don't get there to say good bye, she knows you love her. My thoughts and prayers are with you amw9490. :grouphug:

:candle:

rainbow
August 15th, 2007, 02:03 AM
I am so sorry. :grouphug:

Winston
August 15th, 2007, 07:34 AM
I am so sorry.....:grouphug:

Cindy

amw9490
August 15th, 2007, 05:32 PM
This morning went in to say our final good-byes and we pet her while she was put to sleep. Thanks all.

want4rain
August 15th, 2007, 05:36 PM
im so sorry. :candle:

you guys did your best. :sad:

-ashley

growler~GateKeeper
August 15th, 2007, 06:22 PM
:rip: :angel: :dog: :grouphug:

hazelrunpack
August 15th, 2007, 11:56 PM
You did good, amw9490. The last thing she remembered in this world was your love--and then she was set free to run to the bridge. It was the best gift you could give her. :grouphug: She'll wait there for you, y'know.

:candle:

Jim Hall
August 16th, 2007, 08:50 AM
I am so sorry. It's really tough to lose a friend that way. I hope your journey through coping with your loss is as easy as possible.
I am glad you got to say goodbye

Love4himies
August 16th, 2007, 09:09 AM
So sorry about your loss, I was really hoping she would pull through.:sad:

rainbow
August 16th, 2007, 07:28 PM
You did everything you could. My deepest condolences to you and your family. :grouphug: :candle:

bellarip8.30.07
August 31st, 2007, 12:29 AM
My Bella passed away today 8.30.07 at my animal hospital due to anesthesia. The doctor informed us that her heart was not normal at the end. They brought back the heart beat back to normal. When they were stitching her up her heart when to very low they told us they gave her more anesthesia and then her heart stopped. We don't know what to do.... she was in there for a standard procedure (we were getting her fixed) Is this normal? What do we do? She was only 7 months old…..:cry:

mummummum
August 31st, 2007, 12:52 AM
I answered in Koda's thread .:o