Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Possible Seizure?

barkley21
August 9th, 2007, 03:26 PM
Someone I know had a strange incident with her dog this morning so I thought I'd come here and see if anyone has any guesses as to what this could be.
Basically, her 6 year old dog was just leaving the house with the dog walker for his usual walk when all of a sudden she heard the dog crying like a little child. She ran to the door and went outside to find her dog lying on the grass on his side just crying/whining and after she petted him for a moment he got up like nothing was wrong and off he went with the dog walker. There was no foaming at the mouth, no trembling or convulsions, no uncontrolled peeing or bowel movement, no disorientation, nothing really associated with a seizure. The dog also did not appear to be in any pain and was not limping or anything. Isn't that bizarre?
Any ideas what this could be?

mummummum
August 9th, 2007, 03:38 PM
Seizures don't always look like what expect them to nor do brain lesion/ tumour episodes. Unless something happened (and the dogwalker isn't talking ?) I would watch him closely and consider a neuro consult in the event of a second episode of a similar nature.

barkley21
August 9th, 2007, 04:11 PM
Thanks mummummum...I wondered myself if perhaps he just did not want to go with the dog walker and that's why he was crying. From the description, it didn't seem like anything medical was wrong at all and there were no other health concerns prior to or after that incident (ie. the dog has a good appetite, appears happy as usual, poo and pee are fine, etc.)
She put in a call to her vet just to be safe but I'm not quite sure if they can do any type of tests to determine whether he had a seizure or not.

mummummum
August 9th, 2007, 04:19 PM
Has she got "deep pockets " ? :D

KingIsTheKing
August 9th, 2007, 04:27 PM
I use to have a pit that had seizures. He would start snorting and then he would fall off and convulse. The only sound he ever made was snorting sounds like he was choking on his tongue. I am not an expert far from it. But they should bring him to the vet and explain what happened.