Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Food that's okay for cats

ancientgirl
August 9th, 2007, 02:04 PM
I know there must be a list here somewhere, but I'm looking for a list of the regular foods, such as veggies, fruits and protein's that are not harmful to cats.

For instance, I read in a Cat Fancy magazine you could give your cat grapes, but I read not long after that in a book about cats, that grapes were considered toxic to cats, which makes sense since I know raisins are a no-no.

Basically, I just want to make sure if I'm eating a plate with some veggies and one of the Dynamic Duo takes a veggie or piece of fruit from my plate, I don't have to worry about them being poisoned.

Yesterday I was eating a chicken sandwich, and while I was being distracted by Vlad, Oksana jumped on the couch next to me and snagged a piece of chicken, from the sandwich I was holding! I swear, they did it on purpose, I just know it! But that's an example of why I want to know. I didn't worry about the chicken, because it was roasted, and I know what went into it.

SableCollie
August 9th, 2007, 04:31 PM
The only fruits/veggies I know of that might be bad for cats are onions, garlic, and grapes/raisins. I can't think of any other fruits/veggies that would harm them. :shrug:

ancientgirl
August 9th, 2007, 04:37 PM
I thought I saw once somewhere it said yellow and green veggies were okay, but that's pretty general.

SableCollie
August 9th, 2007, 04:55 PM
I know cantaloupe is okay for cats, and many cats like it. I haven't known any veggie-eating cats though!

ancientgirl
August 9th, 2007, 05:18 PM
LOL, yeah, I know they're not supposed to be vegetarians, but mine have been known to nibble on some broccoli, so I know that's okay.

onster
August 9th, 2007, 06:07 PM
From http://cats.about.com/cs/catfood/a/humanfood.htm

"Onions, Garlic, & Related Root Vegetables

Onions contain a substance (N-propyl disulphide) which destroys red blood cells in the cat, causing a form of anemia called Heinz body anemia. Garlic contains a similar substance in a lesser amount.

Tomatoes, Green (raw Potatoes)

These foods are members of the Solanaceae family of plants, which includes the Deadly Nightshade, and contain a bitter, poisonous alkaloid called Glycoalkaloid Solanine, which can cause violent lower gastrointestinal symptoms. The Feline Future web site offers a rare description of a cat which was close to death from ingesting just one cherry tomato (See the link on the sidebar).

Chocolate

It's becoming more widely known that chocolate is very toxic to both cats and dogs. Theobromine is the offending substance here. Janet Tobiassen Crosby, D.V.M. has an excellent article on the symptoms, effects, and treatment of chocolate toxicity.

Grapes and Raisins

These foods' toxicity has mainly been found in dogs, in quantities of varying amounts. The ASPCA advises: "As there are still many unknowns with the toxic potential of grapes and raisins, the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center advises not giving grapes or raisins to pets in any amount." That's good enough for me.

Milk

Although milk is not toxic to cats, it may have adverse effects. Simply put, adult cats fed a nutritious diet don't need milk, and many cats are lactose-intolerant, which means that the lactose in milk and milk products produces stomach upset, cramps, and gassiness. If your cat loves milk, and begs for it, a small amount of cream may be okay, two or three times a week. (The more fat in the milk, the less lactose.) Another compromise is CatSip, a product made from skim milk with an enzyme added that helps the digestion of lactose. Catsip is available in supermarkets such as Safeway, Albertson's and A&P, as well as pet products chains, such as PetSmart and Petco.

These are the most commonly seen "people foods" that are potentially harmful to cats. The bottom link is to feed your cat nutritious food developed with his needs in mind and choose treats designed for cats instead of table scraps."

Hope that helps! :)

ancientgirl
August 9th, 2007, 06:14 PM
That does help, thanks. I am guilty of giving them a piece of chicken or hamburger meat now and then, but they're always scrounging around me at dinner time. I've been trying to just eat things I know won't harm then if they are too fast for me and snag something off my plate, or hands!

I'm guessing cooked potato is okay, since this specified raw.

LOL, and btw, I watched the video on that link of the guy giving his cat a bath.

Man, what a cooperative kitty!

onster
August 9th, 2007, 06:20 PM
I try not to give my kitties human food but my little former stray is a thief!!! He eats the oddest thing too..bread, lettuce, tomatoe (b4 i knew it was bad), tortillas, zucchini!!! He just finds it on the table if someone leaves anything out after a meal...he has trained us well now, everything goes back right after were done eating!

hehe i didnt even notice that vid b4....ya he is tolerant!
This one isnt real, but its hillarious:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=d9QwK5EHSmg

ancientgirl
August 9th, 2007, 06:22 PM
Mine like bread too. They've snagged bits now and then from my plate when I wasn't looking.

I've seen that video. It is very funny. I need to bathe my two this weekend. Not looking forward to it. They've been giving me trouble the last few times.

heidiho
August 9th, 2007, 06:23 PM
Where is that link,cat getting bath.

onster
August 9th, 2007, 06:31 PM
I believe this is the one ancientgirl was talking about heidiho

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSDIfWcZhaU&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcats%2Eabout%2Ecom%2Fod%2Fcatvid eos%2Fyoutube%2FCatBath%2Ehtm

I only wish my cat was so tolerant! Good luck ancient girl, try trimming their nails the day b4...I do that with my cat.

ancientgirl
August 9th, 2007, 06:39 PM
Yep, that's the one.

I can't believe how calm he is.

heidiho
August 9th, 2007, 06:51 PM
I have never seen anything like that,and here is the opposite.:sorry: unhijack.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Zxi1uvGW7U

ancientgirl
August 9th, 2007, 07:26 PM
That poor little guy. Boy, I feel sorry for him to have people like that giving me a bath. It's not easy, but they were holding him a bit hard.

I put a towel on the bottom of the sink, and wear an old raggy T-shirt, since I wind up having to hold them somewhat close to me to keep them calm. I wash their face separately too. I read you should try not to get their head wet, so I only wash them from the neck down. And I use a wash towel, since it seems to also help keep them a bit calm.

And of course, once I'm done, I give them a little snack and praise them.

heidiho
August 9th, 2007, 07:34 PM
I havent done it in awhile,roxy didnt mind to much back then,not sure she would dig it now though.And i think that hose thing he had would be the way to do it,instead of the way that lady did it.I want to give her a bath now and see.Sorry end hi jack.

ancientgirl
August 9th, 2007, 07:54 PM
LOL, I think I hijacked my own thread anyway so no worries.

I don't have a hose type faucet, but it did look easy and the soft flow of water probably does a lot to not stress them out.

growler~GateKeeper
August 9th, 2007, 08:04 PM
That last video absolutely everything they did was the wrong way:

- unless your cat is extremely calm the water shouldn't be on when you put them in the sink & never on full blast

- they way she held the cat approching the sink she's lucky she didn't get clawed in the face, always hold both front & back feet makes the cat feel more secure

- the sprayer usually freaks them out more than just using the tap & a cup

- looks like she was trying to drowned the poor thing with water everywhere incl over its head

- her freaking out make the cat even more nervous

- yes she was holding it too tight esp when the guy came in there too

- the video should be called Cat Bathers from Hell

Back to the topic: here are some more no-nos

http://www.cfainc.org/articles/holiday-hazards.html

ancientgirl
August 9th, 2007, 08:21 PM
Great link, thanks!

Yes, that guy was holding the cat so tightly it looked like the skin on his face was going to come off. Bunch of morons. People like that shouldn't have pets OR kids.

growler~GateKeeper
August 9th, 2007, 08:25 PM
that site also has a great page on plants that are toxic to pets, none of mine have ever been plant eaters with the exception of grass & a bit of chives(:confused: must've been too close to the tasty tall grass in the garden), but I know my sisters' cats are plant nibblers

Jim Hall
August 10th, 2007, 12:09 AM
lmao the one of the bath from hell is soooo funny
lucky ot was a good natured kitty or spome digits would be missing

Jim Hall
August 10th, 2007, 12:13 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ul0gfCyeiyM

check this one out

meg4050
August 10th, 2007, 08:25 AM
Oh that's so cute haha! We should start a new thread of funny videos - there are SO many out there and they're so entertaining!

ancientgirl
August 10th, 2007, 08:42 AM
LOL, Jim, I saw that one a couple of weeks ago. It was too cute. That poor kitty is being attacked by a killer turtle!

A video thread would be cool. I've seen some entertaining stuff out there. And I'm sure many of us have interesting videos to share as well.

want4rain
August 10th, 2007, 11:38 AM
:offtopic: <----- HAHAHA!

i wouldnt worry too much about what your cats eat if its not on the big lists of what cats shouldnt eat. :)

mine eat ripe peaches, oranges, apples... cheerios, pasta... they LOVE mandarin oranges!!

they outright pilfer from us peas... green beans... carrot chunks... and cheese. those things are just hopeless to bring to the table. peas being their favorite.

just make sure there are no onions or garlic in what you are cooking. i think nuts are also a no no but not sure. and uh.... :rolleyes: dont leave tuna sandwiches laying around. not egg salad either.

-ashley

ancientgirl
August 10th, 2007, 11:42 AM
Great! I was having some peaches the other day and they were giving me those sad kitty eyes. I would have given them a little bit, but I wasn't sure.

Chelly-Belly
August 12th, 2007, 07:48 PM
Hello!! :goodvibes:

I found out that corn and mushrooms are bad for cats and dogs too! Didn't know that. :shrug: saw it here:

http://www.petshed.com/articles/all-about-toxic-foods-for-dogs.html

and lots of plants are dangerous too! my pets (although not cats) are always nibbling on plants in our garden! my cousin's cat loves plants too! and some plants are poisonous! check this out:

http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=pro_apcc_common
http://www.petshed.com/articles/warning-over-pet-poisoning.html

sorry for posting so many links... but i've heard lotsa scary stories about pet poisoning. better to be safe than sorry! :D

ancientgirl
August 12th, 2007, 08:07 PM
Thanks for the info. I knew mushrooms were bad, but I didn't know corn was as well.

I don't have any plants in my home. I had a cactus once, and I killed even that! I do not have a green thumb. I have been thinking about getting some of that cat grass I see at the pet store. Apparently its supposed to be good for their tummy.

onster
August 12th, 2007, 10:25 PM
great info everyone!

just wondering if anyone knows if tuna is ok? I ran out of merrick cans for a while and my spoiled kitties wanted their canned food (NOW! lol) so for a few days I had them split a can of tuna in water. This thread had me curious so I searched Tuna (thinking of course its fine!) and I get this:

http://www.healthypet.com/faq_view.aspx?id=10 and this
http://www.quickandsimple.com/solutions/solution.php?id=519&page=1&menu=3

A can a month or so???!!!! OMG. I thought it was just that it was too salty so u had to rinse it? :( :shrug:

onster
August 12th, 2007, 10:28 PM
oh and ancientgirl, u should def try the catgrass..my kitties both love it!! :D I have had to buy 2 little grass things at a time because they munch on them so much (I switch them out so one plant will 'recover' while the other gets chomped on).

:offtopic: Howd the baths go? hehe right after all these videos lil hazel came up to me, reached his paw to my face and...it was coverd in litter and poo!!!! I now have a fresh batch of scars :yell:

ancientgirl
August 13th, 2007, 08:15 AM
great info everyone!

just wondering if anyone knows if tuna is ok? I ran out of merrick cans for a while and my spoiled kitties wanted their canned food (NOW! lol) so for a few days I had them split a can of tuna in water. This thread had me curious so I searched Tuna (thinking of course its fine!) and I get this:

http://www.healthypet.com/faq_view.aspx?id=10 and this
http://www.quickandsimple.com/solutions/solution.php?id=519&page=1&menu=3

A can a month or so???!!!! OMG. I thought it was just that it was too salty so u had to rinse it? :( :shrug:

I had no idea. I don't make it a habit though, and usually when I do give them some, I split a small can between them, but they also have their regular food. I'll not give them any more, just in case.

ancientgirl
August 13th, 2007, 08:19 AM
oh and ancientgirl, u should def try the catgrass..my kitties both love it!! :D I have had to buy 2 little grass things at a time because they munch on them so much (I switch them out so one plant will 'recover' while the other gets chomped on).

:offtopic: Howd the baths go? hehe right after all these videos lil hazel came up to me, reached his paw to my face and...it was coverd in litter and poo!!!! I now have a fresh batch of scars :yell:

I'll get some cat grass then. I've been curious about it, and I have a good place I can put it where it will get plenty of sun.

Well, the baths went pretty well. I've tried to accustom both Vlad and Oksana to baths since they were wee things, but alas, to no avail. They both fussed in the beginning, but eventually calmed down, so I guess its not all bad. LOL, it could have been worse.

I usually hold them pretty close to me, 1. so I can get a good hold, and 2. so I can talk soothingly to them and reassure them its okay. Once I wrap them up like a little kitty taco, I give them a few treats.

I don't even want to know how they bath them when I bring them back from an overnight stay at the vet.

Love4himies
August 13th, 2007, 08:42 AM
My cats have eaten tuna on a regular basis with no ill effects (approx one can per week) my vets knew about it and have said it was Ok as long as it was not their main diet. One passed away at 14 years of cancer (only time in his life he was sick) and the other is 11 years and doing fine.

ancientgirl
August 13th, 2007, 08:57 AM
That's good to know. It makes sense, if its not their only diet. I really don't give mine much, and honestly, they do eat their regular food. As of late I've also been giving them some wet food 2 or 3 times a week, just to give them some variety. I did give them a small can of tuna this weekend, but I made sure to wash it well, only because it's got such a high salt content.

onster
August 14th, 2007, 03:16 PM
Good to know about the tuna love4himmies. I used to feed stray kitties tuna all the time and I felt so bad after reading that it could be bad for them. I guess some tuna everyonce in a while wont hurt, they really do love it.

Thanks for the tip on holding them ancientgirl. I guess I will try that next time ( if there is a next time!!), as it is right now I try to hold away from the face! lol. So far I have given onnie 0 baths, Ty (my last cat for 6 yrs) 0 baths and hazel 3. He seems to like to step in his own poo a lot.

heather17021977
August 16th, 2007, 07:28 AM
Someone mentioned giving their kitty chicken and hamburger...is this before spices were added? I'm just afraid if I give them some of "human food" they will not want to eat their own food.

A few times our 3 have gotten into the McDonald's fries that were left on the coffee table...they saw us coming and gulped them right down!

want4rain
August 16th, 2007, 07:48 AM
that is a really bad misconception that human food is bad for animals. feeding good healthy protein is far better for them than the protein they get in their kibble. a variety is better than the same food all the time. feeding table veggies before adding salt or butter is good. feeding meats uncooked with the bone is fine. no meats with cooked bones though. hate to say it but trans fat stuffed Mc Donalds french fries arent good for PEOPLE let alone cats. :)

there are many people out there who dont feel cats should ever be fed dry kibble. most of them are full of grains which are in appropriate for cats and they do not have enough moisture for a cat who should be getting most of their moisture from their meals and not a water bowl.

ancientgirl, dont lament your cats for not eating dry kibble. go a week on dry cereal and see how you view your meals. :) while you are on your dry cereal diet for a week, remember there are countries where the people get even less than that to eat so we can SURVIVE on less for far longer than a week (or 6 months) but its not ideal.

one last thing- abotu the grass in a cup thingie?? get some bird seed, plant it in one of those long self watering pots(spread over the top of the soil, pat lightly). keep it moist until it sprouts. to stop the cats from DIGGING in it, get some of the wooden skewers for making kabobs and stick them in POINTED END DOWN every few inches or so leaving it only an inch above the dirt. they cats will graze TO the skewers but not PAST them keeping a healthy growth of new grass. you can bring it inside when you want them to eat some of it. do NOT use fertilizer in it. use compost of some sort.

-ashley

ancientgirl
August 16th, 2007, 08:10 AM
I have fed my kitties bits of hamburger meat after I've made some for myself, this is unseasoned of course. I've thought about giving them bits of raw chicken or meat, but I'm afraid of any ecoli, so I figure cooked is at least safe.

I have been giving them more wet food lately. I leave a bit of dry kibble in their bowls in the morning, only because I know they like to graze. They won't eat their food in one sitting, they've both done this since I first brought them home. They'll eat a bit, go play, sleep, then later come back and munch.

I left them some wet this morning, which will probably be gone by lunchtime. Then by the time I get home I can give them another can. I'm going to experiment to see which canned they like best, but I certainly see them going towards wet more and more.

want4rain
August 16th, 2007, 08:41 AM
all of our fur pets are fed raw food. never hurt them a bit. :) i wouldnt try to 'stick to one wet food' but rather a variety of different wet foods.

Frances is on wet cat food in the morning and raw food in the evening. i never get more than 2 cans of the same foods for her to make sure she gets a variety of different things. between Merrick and Wellness she gets a very different meal every day.

-ashley

ancientgirl
August 16th, 2007, 08:51 AM
I've been doing different flavors, just to see which they like best and which they don't even bother with. I'll get some really good quality beef for them this weekend. Can I freeze what I don't put out for them? How long in the evening do you leave the food out for them to eat before you throw it away?

When I put food out for them in the evening, say I get home at 6:00pm, I give them a can each, they eat a bit, then pick for the rest of the evening. I don't think I can do that with raw meat.

Love4himies
August 16th, 2007, 09:05 AM
Someone mentioned giving their kitty chicken and hamburger...is this before spices were added? I'm just afraid if I give them some of "human food" they will not want to eat their own food.

A few times our 3 have gotten into the McDonald's fries that were left on the coffee table...they saw us coming and gulped them right down!

Human food free of spices is much better for cats than cat food. Cat food is processed food and is no different than humans living off of canned processed food. The only reason to give cats canned food is to ensure they are getting all their vitamins that they would not get from eating just chicken, beef, fish, etc.
My Snowball always got a share of the meat I cooked for dinner and he loved it (as a treat, not his main meals). He lived to 14 years and was never sick a day in his life until he developed cancer :sad: . Not a cold, not an infection, nothing and he was allowed outside, supervised, and got into quite a few scrapes with dogs and cats (what I am trying to say he got exposure to animals and their germs). He stayed at 7.5 lbs his whole life.

ancientgirl
August 16th, 2007, 09:16 AM
I'm sorry for your Snowball, but its good to hear he lived a healthy live for so many years.

I like to give the Dynamic Duo some of my meat as well whenever I make some for myself. I never season it before I make it, just so I can give them some, then I season what I eat separately.

want4rain
August 16th, 2007, 10:03 AM
most spices shouldnt be a problem but i wouldnt give them it after you put A1 on it or somethign like that. no salt either. but say chicken with a little olive oil, thyme and lemon verbena should be fine. (mmm i know whats for dinner tonight!!)

just remember if you feed cooked meat and table scraps, they need far more meat than anythign else. save some shells from the next bunch of eggs you guys make (raw shells is fine too) and let them dry out. if you feed them meat, sprinkle a bit of the ground up egg shell on the meat to make up the calcium they will need. :)

-ashley

heather170277
August 16th, 2007, 10:25 AM
Our kittens eat Felidae wet (both flavours) and felidae dry/medi-cal preventative for grazing...stewie had a bladdar infection so we just kept them on it and mixed it with the kitten food. we didnt want Bruno ending up the same as Stewie. They get the canned food for breakfast and dinner.

can they eat eggs?

sugarcatmom
August 16th, 2007, 10:44 AM
can they eat eggs?

Eggs are a great source of protein, if your cats will eat them (wish mine would). Never feed raw egg whites though, it can result in a biotin deficiency (cooked egg whites or whole raw eggs are okay).

Love4himies
August 16th, 2007, 10:53 AM
I'm sorry for your Snowball, but its good to hear he lived a healthy live for so many years.

Thank you ancientgirl. Snowball had a better life than 2/3 of humans on this planet.

I should have added that I am feeding my foster momma felidae cat and kitten canned, mixed with wellness kitten. I have had very good results with this food, she has minimum waste in her litterbox, which is good because she eats one large can mixed with kibble at day, and she has been able to gain some weight while nursing 7 healthy, chubby kittens. She came in the humane society as a pregnant stray and very skinny.

ancientgirl
August 16th, 2007, 11:08 AM
most spices shouldnt be a problem but i wouldnt give them it after you put A1 on it or somethign like that. no salt either. but say chicken with a little olive oil, thyme and lemon verbena should be fine. (mmm i know whats for dinner tonight!!)

just remember if you feed cooked meat and table scraps, they need far more meat than anythign else. save some shells from the next bunch of eggs you guys make (raw shells is fine too) and let them dry out. if you feed them meat, sprinkle a bit of the ground up egg shell on the meat to make up the calcium they will need. :)

-ashley

Wonderful suggestions, thank you so much!

krdahmer
August 16th, 2007, 11:20 AM
Blueberries.... I was trying to enjoy a muffin this morning that I had made with those frozen wild blueberries, and lost all the berries to Fagan and Palomine...:rolleyes: They go crazy for them, weirdos. And Palomine loves eggs, I make a food for him with eggs and baked chicken, it never lasts more than a few moments when I put it out.

Although I hadn't thought of adding the shells for calcium, I'll try that in the next batch.

ancientgirl
August 16th, 2007, 11:26 AM
Good to know blueberries is okay for them too. I love blueberry muffins!

krdahmer
August 16th, 2007, 01:55 PM
I actually read the ingredients on my California Naturals dry food (when I was feeding it)... and I figure if they are using them in high quality food, they must be ok for cats... I try not to let them have too much, I'm affraid too much of the fruit & veggies will give them the schlitz...

ancientgirl
August 16th, 2007, 02:17 PM
LOL, Schlitz!