Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Overweight GSD

geisha
August 9th, 2007, 01:33 PM
Hi, I just had to tell someone. I don't usually rant but here goes. I was sitting in a coffee shop talking with a neighbour when along came this wobbly, obviously overweight, German Shepard. It was at least 20 lbs overweight and miserable. We had been talking about the deplorable conditions of the Edmonton Children's Zoo. I couldn't think what to say to the owner at the time. :wall: :yell: :frustrated:

kiara
August 9th, 2007, 02:03 PM
Too bad pet owners don't realize that their pet's overweight could make them diabetic or have heart disease (which goes hand-in-hand). Maybe the owner is not well and cannot take the dog for long walks? Or maybe he never takes the dog to a vet? No need to say anything, I think he knows that his dog is overweight.

mummummum
August 9th, 2007, 02:15 PM
We can only hope that the dog is a recent rescue and that his/her new guardian is doing everything they can to get the weight down. Obesity is a killer.

rainbow
August 9th, 2007, 02:31 PM
I've seen this quite often with seniors who have overweight dogs. It's really hard to say anything because you don't know their circumstances. :sad:

OC_Spirit
August 9th, 2007, 04:14 PM
I hope I'm not stepping on anybody's toes by saying this but to me, letting your dog become overweight is just as cruel as emaciation. Both effect health, both are miserable to be. Yes, sometimes "too much love" can hurt

geisha
August 9th, 2007, 06:05 PM
Thanks for all your posts. The owner was a young, healthy adult. She looked like she would kick my @#$% if I said anything. I hope the dog is a recent rescue as well. Not only is the dog prone to diabetes & heart disease but arthritis as well!!!
Give your pups a big hug for us!!
Rose, Geisha & Mary:grouphug: