Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How much peanut butter?

geoffh4
August 9th, 2007, 10:31 AM
My puppy is 5 months old and LOVES kongs filled with peanut butter. I usually give her 1 per day. Im a little worried she's eating to omuch peanut butter, though, as she is starting to get a little rounder in the belly.

How much peanut butter can you give your puppy?

mummummum
August 9th, 2007, 12:36 PM
Not all peanut butters are equal. I personally only use "just peanuts" style peanut butter ~ my dogs do not need all that salt and sugar.

You also need to "deduct" the amount of peanut butter you are feeding from your dog's feed ration. Check out the k.Cal's on the peanut butter and then reduce that from the amount you are feeding based on the kCals in the feed.

SableCollie
August 9th, 2007, 01:01 PM
Yeah, try to get the "natural" peanut butter if you can. The popular brands have sugar/corn syrup added to them for flavor, not very healthy stuff! I usually fill kongs with a portion of the dog's meals, and then just use peanut butter to cover the opening to seal the food in. I wouldn't fill the whole kong with peanut butter, that would be a lot of calories! Sometimes I will feed the dogs' whole breakfast in kongs, so instead of just eating from a dish, the dogs have to work to get their meal.

jessi76
August 9th, 2007, 01:04 PM
peanut butter should be an occassional treat, not an everyday thing. Mix up what you fill the kong with. Instead of filling the kong w/ peanut butter, I layer it - one dab to block small hole - fill w/ kibble - use small blob to fill big hole. otherwise I cut the peanut butter by blending it w/ non fat plain yogurt (a tablespoon of peanut butter to a cut of yogurt) - fill kong w/ that mixture and freeze.

I also use a natural peanut butter, no added chemicals or sugars.

other ideas to fill kong...

canned tuna
canned salmon
canned dog food (use a quality brand)
kibble
dog biscuits
dried meats (liver)
small pieces of chicken/steak
small amounts of mild cheese (mozarella)
yogurt mixed w/ peanut butter
yogurt mixed w/ fruit (nothing toxic please! grapes are a NO NO)

rainbow
August 9th, 2007, 01:12 PM
I agree with what everyone has said and I also only use the peanut butter to plug the holes at each end. :)

Another good thing to stuff into kongs is the baby carrots that come in the cello packs but wash them again first. :pawprint: